Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cool... Seen
    This Thread Won't Be Big In The Scene!
    22 Negs On Your Post... Seen
    Reppin
    A Dangerous Neighbourhood

Default Why is UK drill even a thing?

I just jumped on here again to ask this. Why did older people allow this to happen? When children started using words like "clout" and "opps" and asking other "hoods" to "check the score" an older should have gave them a clip round the ear. smh
    https://www.badgecollectorscircle.co.uk/assets/bluepeter_48_48.jpg

I Make Posts On A Regular

I'm sure old guys were saying the same thing when "grime" was being listened to lol

What's all this "shank shank" and "pow pow" about lol

Anyway. U can't stop young black youth and the music they decide to express themselves in. They are the culture.

I'm Levels Above It's Blatant
    Now Check My Punctuation
    Reppin
    aberdeen

I think the point is it was British & our culture & slang but now it's just copying Americans

Cool... Seen
    This Thread Won't Be Big In The Scene!
    22 Negs On Your Post... Seen
    Reppin
    A Dangerous Neighbourhood

Quote Originally Posted by djricochet View Post
    I think the point is it was British & our culture & slang but now it's just copying Americans
    That's exactly my point. Yeah there's always been roadrap that's clearly influenced by the US but it still felt authentic. Maybe they don't realise people in Chicago are laughing at them. Just check the 67 interview with dj
    Vlad.

Reppin
    LDS

Glad some other people agree I grew up thinking we had some pride and integrity in what was british and yeah grime was perfect it had influences from dancehall and reggae etc but that was in the roots and local culture of british black youths, all this blatant cattin of american style is pathetic and embarrassing and leaves me disillusioned with UK urban music quite frankly.

God Forgive Me If I Press Enter
    Reppin
    NW 6

bro, ppl are rli out here saying yall
    [/QUOTE] Originally Posted by Yardie Nah never that. And I'm always learning and willing to be skooled but this has not occurred itt. Soz [/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtra P View Post
    @MrRiskoe schooled you cuddy, you had no valid comebacks for him now go listen to T pains greatest hits and cool off.
    Quote Originally Posted by diglett17 View Post
    MrRiskoe your a legend mate

Stop Dat Start Dat Rep Dat What JAI Q's Avatar

Drill is unoriginal compared to Grime. It's an American sound. Sure it has a UK twist on it but it's basically just trap beats with UK rappers on top. Grime on the other hand was a UK ting London born and bred with roots in Garage and Drum & Bass music, Pirate Radio culture etc etc. There's also a lot more energy in Grime compared to Drill which compliments the lyrical content. You can feel the raw emotion in the music both lyrically and with the instrumentals. In fact Just listening to some propper grime instrumentals alone it's unlike any other sound. Compared to Drill or not. And for that I think Grime comes out on top anyday
    Last edited by JAI Q; 20th July '18 at 01:00 PM.

I'm Levels Above It's Blatant
    Now Check My Punctuation
    Reppin
    aberdeen

Quote Originally Posted by 0113 View Post
    Glad some other people agree I grew up thinking we had some pride and integrity in what was british and yeah grime was perfect it had influences from dancehall and reggae etc but that was in the roots and local culture of british black youths, all this blatant cattin of american style is pathetic and embarrassing and leaves me disillusioned with UK urban music quite frankly.
    This 100%. The death of channel aka has brought a pause for reflection for me & tbh that EO - German tune is kinda the last straw for me. It's a UK drake rebore of German Whip. It's mad that an 18 year old can ask u for EO - German & you say no but i'll play German Whip & they don't even know what German Whip is even though it was only 5 years ago.

Also it'll be interesting to see what happens with Stormzy when he drops a second album. I don't know if we'll ever see another grime artist come out that equals or eclipses the success of Stormzy. It's like the last guy to blow in a genre is the one that capitalizes from everyone elses groundwork. Stormzy with grime & Professor Green with UK hip hop.

Ok drill is unoriginal to u older lot.

But it's still the voice of the youth and has been for a minute a long with uk rap.

Grime was original. Now it's just nostalgia and recycled

Grime Forum Regular

UK rap was a thing for a minute but I'm seeing more and more people walking up to the fact it all sounds identical because they are all ticking boxes. Autotune, xylophones, 808s and wifey and money lyrics. It worked but people are getting bored. Look at the shit GRM post and the amount of negative feedback it gets.

People are waking up.

I Was Like You Rudeboy
    I Had No Rep To Giiiiivve

Quote Originally Posted by kyro View Post
    Look at the shit GRM post and the amount of negative feedback it gets.

People are waking up.
    I'm glad, and the same goes for this afro-swing/afrobbean/afro-bashment whatever it's called now. Ngl there are some vibes but too many rebores in that scene that are going to bring it down before it takes off properly.

Reppin
    Reading

This 100%. The death of channel aka has brought a pause for reflection for me & tbh that EO - German tune is kinda the last straw for me. It's a UK drake rebore of German Whip. It's mad that an 18 year old can ask u for EO - German & you say no but i'll play German Whip & they don't even know what German Whip is even though it was only 5 years ago.

Also it'll be interesting to see what happens with Stormzy when he drops a second album. I don't know if we'll ever see another grime artist come out that equals or eclipses the success of Stormzy. It's like the last guy to blow in a genre is the one that capitalizes from everyone elses groundwork. Stormzy with grime & Professor Green with UK hip hop.
    Agree with everything your saying ITT but at least with Pro Green he was battling and a part of the UKHH scene before he blew. I don't even remember hearing Stormzy on pirate radio.

I Was Like You Rudeboy

Quote Originally Posted by Ellessdee View Post
    Agree with everything your saying ITT but at least with Pro Green he was battling and a part of the UKHH scene before he blew. I don't even remember hearing Stormzy on pirate radio.
    You could argue that times have changed since then, social media and youtube "grind" has replaced that for better or for worse.

Any Guy
    Reppin
    UK

Reppin
    Reading

Quote Originally Posted by BapBap View Post
    You could argue that times have changed since then, social media and youtube "grind" has replaced that for better or for worse.
    at the time stormzy starting popping radio was still a big thing in grime though

I Was Like You Rudeboy
    Reppin
    LEYTON E10

UK drill worst music ive ever heard

Hi hater

Drill got that grime energy!!! The same way grime would make me feel drill does that to me

Its the new shank shank shank music like grime was. 14 years ago Lols

Any Guy
    Reppin
    London

Drill beats are definitely original. Just like how Grime was born through its roots in Garage, Drum n Bass - Drill is a similar fusion mixed with elements of Trap, Grime and Reggae. However yes the lyrical content in Grime far outweighs that of these drill artists.

Do you mean the lyrics or the beats?

God Forgive Me If I Press Enter
    Reppin
    NW 6

Still couldn't tell you one drill or trap artist or song, shockingly awful music.

Long live ORIGINAL HOME GROWN GRIME.
    [/QUOTE] Originally Posted by Yardie Nah never that. And I'm always learning and willing to be skooled but this has not occurred itt. Soz [/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtra P View Post
    @MrRiskoe schooled you cuddy, you had no valid comebacks for him now go listen to T pains greatest hits and cool off.
    Quote Originally Posted by diglett17 View Post
    MrRiskoe your a legend mate

Officially A Fully Pledged
    Grime Forum Member
    Reppin
    Doncaster/Nottingham

Drill got some real vibes and great production - just gotta find it amongst all the trash, just like grime back in the day.
    He who fucks nuns will later join the church.