Default 1979*(Sandbox game from a GTA co-director)

Three of these locales are instantly familiar to videogame diehards as settings in the "Grand Theft Auto" series, which has sold more than 100 million copies worldwide. The latter, however, is more commonly linked to news bulletins about the Iranian nuclear program or confrontational statements by the country's hardline Islamist president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. If Navid Khonsari, 41, has his way, Iran's capital city will soon be much more familiar to gamers. A director of the "Grand Theft Auto" series, the Iranian-born Khonsari's next game has a simple working title whose numerals denote a world of significance: "1979." And the game's tagline? "There are no good guys." "1979" gets its name from the year when the hostage crisis at the U.S. embassy in Tehran began, which was during the height of Iran's Islamic Revolution. That year marked the overthrow of the dictator, Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, by a populist revolt and the

subsequent installation of a fundamentalist Islamic state. The game aims to combine some sandbox, open-world elements popularized by "Grand Theft Auto" with what Khonsari calls a "baton-pass" narrative, which explores this historic backdrop through the sequential perspectives of several playable characters. "I want people to understand the incredible moral ambiguity of this story, that this was a country with many different ideas and beliefs," Khonsari said in an exclusive interview with CNN. "Growing up in Iran when I did, I saw Iranians in the greatest light, and I saw them in the worst light." Shortly after the fall of the shah, Khonsari's family fled Iran for Canada. Khonsari moved to the West Coast as an adult to pursue a career as a filmmaker. He later moved to New York City and applied his talents to an up-and-coming studio named Rockstar Games. "I was the cinematic director for 'GTA 3,' 'Vice City' and 'San Andreas,' as well as the two Max Payne games, 'Red Dead Revolver' and 'Bully,' " he said. "

subsequent installation of a fundamentalist Islamic state. The game aims to combine some sandbox, open-world elements popularized by "Grand Theft Auto" with what Khonsari calls a "baton-pass" narrative, which explores this historic backdrop through the sequential perspectives of several playable characters. "I want people to understand the incredible moral ambiguity of this story, that this was a country with many different ideas and beliefs," Khonsari said in an exclusive interview with CNN. "Growing up in Iran when I did, I saw Iranians in the greatest light, and I saw them in the worst light." Shortly after the fall of the shah, Khonsari's family fled Iran for Canada. Khonsari moved to the West Coast as an adult to pursue a career as a filmmaker. He later moved to New York City and applied his talents to an up-and-coming studio named Rockstar Games. "I was the cinematic director for 'GTA 3,' 'Vice City' and 'San Andreas,' as well as the two Max Payne games, 'Red Dead Revolver' and 'Bully,' " he said. "

Anything that came out through Rockstar between 2001 and 2005, I was fortunate enough to be involved in. "My main job, and what grew into my current passion, was bringing that cinematic 'feel' to video games." After he left Rockstar, Khonsari founded his own game-production company, iNKstories, which he co-runs with his wife, Vassiliki. The duo already have two blockbuster titles under their belt, "Alan Wake" and "Homefront." They aim for "1979" to be the third.

Anything that came out through Rockstar between 2001 and 2005, I was fortunate enough to be involved in. "My main job, and what grew into my current passion, was bringing that cinematic 'feel' to video games." After he left Rockstar, Khonsari founded his own game-production company, iNKstories, which he co-runs with his wife, Vassiliki. The duo already have two blockbuster titles under their belt, "Alan Wake" and "Homefront." They aim for "1979" to be the third.

The gameplay of '1979' At the game's outset, the player is an American/Iranian translator on a mission to rescue the embassy hostages. The player must choose one of three historically inspired ways to enter Iran: By helicopter with a U.S. special forces team, through the Iraq border with Saddam Hussein's army or across the Afghanistan border with the Taliban. In these preliminary levels, the game plays as a fairly standard third-person shooter, with some linguistic puzzles that will test your character's imperfect mastery of the Farsi language. The gameplay of "1979" includes morally ambiguous elements of diplomacy, stealth and bartering. "But once you get into Iran, you're no longer the translator," he said. "You take the role of a student demonstrator who was opposed the shah. You've kicked the shah out, but you're unhappy with some of these fanatical elements you see rising up. "So the game changes, and now your mission is to get this small military group to Tehran, but nonviolently, clandestinely.

You want the American hostages out of Iran because you want the country to focus on rebuilding itself, and you've heard all these rumors about a war with Iraq coming." This, Khonsari explains, is where gameplay shifts to include some morally ambiguous elements of diplomacy, stealth and bartering. Each time the baton passes to a new character, the style of gameplay changes, too. Some characters will focus more on action, while others will feature vehicles and puzzle-solving. "Not everyone you meet is going to be helpful," he said. "There are going to be aspects of bribery, making exchanges and turning a blind eye to really bad stuff so you can get the job done. "Maybe, in order to get the group there, you need to sacrifice some stragglers and let them get captured so the others can get away. And then you'll have some extreme choices to make when you get to Tehran: Are you going to invade the embassy, guns blazing, to try to get the hostages back? Or are you going to try to protect the embassy from the Americ

@Willy @Mercury @kyro
    its not a ting bout pride

Grime Forum Regular

Meh. Open world games need a massive shake up. Assassins Creed and Watch Dogs are the only two that have made a impact to me this gen. In an open world there should be a million possiblitys for missions but it's always reach destination A, kill someone/pick someone up, go to B and repeat. I'm hoping GTAV goes back to its roots after the way GTA4 turned out.

Red Dead deserves a mention for trying to be different too, I hope they take a lot from that and put it in GTA5.
    Last edited by kyro; 22nd June '12 at 01:47 PM.

My Fingers Type Like
    They're Powered Mechanically
    Reppin
    Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by kyro View Post

Red Dead deserves a mention for trying to be different too.
    Red dead is sick..till you complete the story

Reppin
    140 Stab Street

I want an open world game where after i finish the main storyline i wont be fucking bored to death with nothing to do tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Correct View Post
    Guys a flop for his country. The last time Argentina did remotely well when the big boys were involved, Diego Forlan was carrying the squad. Do your research.

If Chelsea win the Europa League but get top 4, will they have to forfeit their UCL spot to defend their Europa championship?
    ^lulu

I'm hoping GTAV goes back to its roots after the way GTA4 turned out.
    gta4 is the best game ever brah!!!!!
    its not a ting bout pride

Grime Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by sunil View Post
    gta4 is the best game ever brah!!!!!
    In your opinion. In mine? It was a fuck up. It's the only GTA (and London if that counts) I've never finished. It was the most boring of the lot.

I Was Like You Rudeboy
    I Had No Rep To Giiiiivve
    Reppin
    1st right off Gully Brook Hill, Bristol, BS6

In your opinion. In mine? It was a fuck up. It's the only GTA (and London if that counts) I've never finished. It was the most boring of the lot.
    I completely agree

Reppin
    BumbaForTheLadies

joe daki u missed out the opening line

'Vice City. San Andreas. Liberty City. Tehran.'
    They wanna talk about how they trap
    But when they re up, They still cant count a stack
    By the end of the week, Im bringing thousands back
    Like 50 cent, Five 0's on my back

Officially A Fully Pledged
    Grime Forum Member
    iDonate
    Reppin
    western roads

@Willy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gai Sensei View Post
    as an ex-roadman i know this is not how things work during a bike robbery.

Nobody Leaves When I'm Jammin' Mastabas's Avatar
    Reppin
    West London

coolio

Banned

lets face facts if u cant have guns and shoot people (like u cant in assassins creed) its gonna be shit

Reppin
    140 Stab Street

Quote Originally Posted by grimer2012 View Post
    lets face facts if u cant have guns and shoot people (like u cant in assassins creed) its gonna be shit
    Assassins Creed>>>>>>>>>>
    Guys a flop for his country. The last time Argentina did remotely well when the big boys were involved, Diego Forlan was carrying the squad. Do your research.

If Chelsea win the Europa League but get top 4, will they have to forfeit their UCL spot to defend their Europa championship?
    ^lulu

360 Mafia 360 Mafia Dr Millenium's Avatar

Assholes creed was good when it came out then got boring after about an hour

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Millenium View Post
    Assholes creed was good when it came out then got boring after about an hour
    REAL rap

arse-ins creed is boring now with its yearly releases like cod