PDA

View Full Version : Barry stays?

Nine Bar
28th July '08, 10:47 AM
ASTON VILLA boss Martin O’Neill will launch a bold ‘cash and kisses’ bid to finally kill Gareth Barry’s £18million move to Liverpool.

O’Neill is ready to offer a club-record four-year deal, giving Barry a 50 per cent pay rise.

And with Liverpool spending their money elsewhere — £20m on Tottenham striker Robbie Keane, for instance — O’Neill is now showing signs of confidence that he can hang on to the England midfielder, 27.

Northern Irishman O’Neill has never previously talked financial figures with Barry because Villa’s key man still has two years left on his current deal.

But in talks with Barry today, O’Neill plans to:
PROPOSE a hike in Barry’s weekly wage from £42,000 to £63,000.
CONFIRM the midfielder will continue his role as captain at Villa Park.
THROW IN a £1m glamour game for Barry’s testimonial.
SMOTHER his wantaway star with love and praise.

If all that fails, O’Neill might consider a clause allowing Barry to leave the Midlands — for Liverpool, Arsenal or wherever else — next summer if this season fails to bring success.

He revealed: “In my view, Gareth should hang around for one more year to see if we can make the sort of progress everybody wants.
“If that success doesn’t happen, I’m sure we’d all wish him well.”

Barry came on as an early sub for Wilfred Bouma in Saturday’s hard-earned 1-0 Intertoto win over Danish club Odense and received a rousing reception from the Holte End faithful.

“Most of the crowd were shouting things like ‘Only one Gareth Barry’ and ‘Barry for Villa’.

“It seems to me that Gareth is valued more by Aston Villa than he is by Liverpool. That should tell him something.
“He would be a terrible loss. That’s why I hope any discussions can point us in the right direction.

“I am prepared to revisit the issue of a contract, plus a possible testimonial. We intend to be as positive as we can.

“Hopefully, all of this admiration and affection for Gareth will have an effect on the lad.

“He is human after all and we all like our fair share of praise, don’t we?”

With Villa safely qualified for Friday’s UEFA Cup draw, O’Neill bristled at any suggestion he might now contact Liverpool to find out whether Barry stays or goes.

He said: “Why on Earth would I telephone Rafa Benitez or anyone else at another club to discuss one of Villa’s own players?

“Do I need Liverpool’s permission to pick Gareth all of a sudden?”

Nine Bar
28th July '08, 01:24 PM
i think he will tbh

Hij
28th July '08, 01:54 PM
loooool

Martin O Neil is a joker though, proper bitter bastard.

Nine Bar
28th July '08, 03:43 PM
loooool

Martin O Neil is a joker though, proper bitter bastard.

lol yeh he is but i wouldnt rather ne1 else other than mourinho in our seat 2 b honest.

Hes an oldskool badman

adidasgrandad
28th July '08, 05:36 PM
can i just say...aston villa are some thieving bastards. stole our colours.

barry isnt worth 18m, but O Neill did well to keep hold of him in the face of such pressure from a big club.

The Messiah
29th July '08, 10:49 AM
barry isnt worth 18m, but O Neill did well to keep hold of him in the face of such pressure from a big club.

Yes he is. 18 million is the going rate for an England international midfielder. Had this argument with Hij, he disagreed, but his hero Ian Rush shares my same point of view.

O'Neill did do very well to keep him there.

Grimes
29th July '08, 11:56 AM
Barry is more worth 18m then Keane worth 20.3 million

Hij
30th July '08, 11:55 AM

Ones a striker.

Strikers are always worth more.

The Messiah
30th July '08, 02:18 PM

Ones a striker.

Strikers are always worth more.

Keane is worth more than Barry imo.

Nine Bar
30th July '08, 07:14 PM
Its been confirmed:

GARETH BARRY WILL STAY AT ASTON VILLA!!!

woooooooooooooooooooooooooo

fuk u and fuk u fuk u all

Fuk Rafa

Xtra P
30th July '08, 08:04 PM
I rate O'neil for sticking to his guns & not letting Liverpool bully him into selling barry!

Nine Bar
30th July '08, 08:46 PM
Oneil = Old skool Badman

Eric Cantona
30th July '08, 08:51 PM
It don't matter anymore, the damage has been done.

Aston Villa will flop next season, this will be there reason/excuse for it as well.

Nine Bar
30th July '08, 09:23 PM
Lol and what damage is that alex......The manager loves him, we love him, he loves us.

chattin breeze again tbf

Hij
31st July '08, 12:58 AM
We'll see by August 31st whether he stays or goes.

Apparently according to sources inside Liverpool we're willing to wait till January (why though I have no idea?)

Besides, Alonso popped up with a magical ball today in to Torres, Torres cut back and should have at least made the keeper work, but was blocked off.

Hij
31st July '08, 01:00 AM
Lol and what damage is that alexO Neil publically embarrassing him with a 2 weeks wages fine? I wouldnt' be suprised if there is a deep resentment from Barry for O Neil now... He's still not signed that new contract...

He did the same to him as Patrick Berger. Spoke about it, but then had a letter delivered to his yard informing him of his impeding fine.

O Neils been sipping the bad man juice.

I hate the cunt after this. Fair enough we're trying to sign one of your players, but after O Neil's original outburst after Rafa answered 'yes he is a player I like' to a direct question... O Neil has been in the papers almost every couple of days talking it up.

Hate the fucker every day that goes by, and to think I wanted him ahead of Benitez just 5 years ago, the cunt.

Nine Bar
31st July '08, 10:24 AM
Apperently the deal could go through, £17.5 million plus Steve Finnan. I hope its just paper talk though, its said liverpool missed our 5pm deadline by 20 minutes and then made a bid.

Hij i dont like O'Neil in the papers alot cuz thats jus a man sayin 2 much imo but hes tactically a much better manager than Rafa, deep down u no its true. He gets the best out of any player no matter how great or how shit, he will get their best atributes firing, and rafa likes to keep bench seats warm, and do dodgy rotations. Gerrard and Carragher carrie liverpool.

Tempz_NBT
31st July '08, 11:03 AM
barry is pissed

Tempz_NBT
31st July '08, 11:04 AM
barry is pissed if he stays at villa dis season.

liverpool differently been hyping him and now o'neill might just keep him lol

The Messiah
31st July '08, 01:20 PM
Hij i dont like O'Neil in the papers alot cuz thats jus a man sayin 2 much imo but hes tactically a much better manager than Rafa, deep down u no its true. He gets the best out of any player no matter how great or how shit, he will get their best atributes firing, and rafa likes to keep bench seats warm, and do dodgy rotations. Gerrard and Carragher carrie liverpool.

I disagree, Rafa is marginally the better tactician (but he only really seems to put this to use in the CL), but O'Neill is a much better man manager.

Eric Cantona
31st July '08, 04:13 PM
Barry has gone

Grimes
31st July '08, 04:17 PM
Rafa is a better manager

Hij
31st July '08, 04:20 PM
Rafa is a better manager

As for man management, perhaps, but I don't want our manager being bum chums with the players, it didn't work with Houllier and it hasn't worked with Keegan.

No idea whats happening with Barry. We'll see by the 31st I guesss.

Hij
3rd August '08, 05:21 AM
No idea whats happening with Barry. We'll see by the 31st I guess.
Safe Cortz :D

The Independant

Gareth Barry's controversial move to Liverpool could yet go ahead and that it was in the Anfield club's hands. "If Liverpool at the end of it all do not come up with the money, that's no one else's fault but their own," the Aston Villa manager said.

O'Neill left Barry to kick his heels for two weeks after the England midfielder criticised him and insisted that his future lay at Liverpool. However, O'Neill recalled him for the Intertoto Cup victory over the Danishside Odense.
Clarifying the issue yesterday, O' Neill told the Aston Villa website that Liverpool had expressed an interest in Barry four months ago and that the apparent breakdown of the deal was not a matter of the Anfield club "missing a deadline by 15 minutes" as had been reported. He said that the player and his agent had indicated that Liverpool may yet come up with an acceptable offer.

Speaking after his side's 1-1 draw at Reading, O'Neill said: "There will be no deadline and Liverpool have all the time in the world to sign Gareth Barry. They have up to the normal window, which is the 31st of the month. So it's really up to them."

Liverpool had looked unlikely to follow up their interest in Barry after splashing out £20 million on Robbie Keane. That looked money well spent when the Republic of Ireland international made his first appearance in a Liverpool shirt on British soil and was influential in a 4-0 victory at Rangers. His performance up front in tandem with Fernando Torres, albeit in a friendly, suggested that the pair will prove a potent force in the new season.

Keane, who signed from Tottenham Hotspur, did not score, but Torres did find the net, pouncing on a mistake by the Rangers goalkeeper, AllanMcGregor, in the 23rd minute. The Spaniard made way at half-time for David Ngog, who struck a sublime second goal for Rafael Benitez's side in the 59th minute. Yossi Benayoun added another from a cross by Christian Nemeth, and Xabi Alonso, a substitute, converted a penalty in the 70th minute after Kirk Broadfoot had brought down Nemeth.

Although Villa looked far from convincing at the Madejski Stadium, O'Neill did see his new goalkeeper, Brad Friedel, save a penalty after 10 minutes. Gabriel Agbonlahor salvaged a draw after the young Turkish reserve Jem Karacan had scored for Reading.

Anonymous
3rd August '08, 09:51 AM
O'Neill is alot still.

Nine Bar
3rd August '08, 02:37 PM
Hij dont rub it in :evilgrin:

Hes gonna go, if rafa said hes got the funds hes got upto the 31st.

Ill be sad 2 see him go but hes served us well for 11 years and when you come to villa park in the 3rd game ill be clappin him stil, i hope he dont get booed cuz mans have 2 understand hes got 5 years left at the highest level, and he obviously wants 2 b at the highest level, i still think he'll play left mid with Gerrard and Mashcerano/Alonso in the middle.

Now O'Neil needs 2 start buyin class players not youngsters with a class future.

Hij
3rd August '08, 02:37 PM
O'Neill is alot still.

Are you being serious? LOL

He came out and said 'Gareth Barry is Staying, Liverpool are wankers, they lost out'

And within 3 days had to perform a U-Turn, hes a first class twat IMO

Hij
3rd August '08, 02:38 PM
Hij dont rub it in :evilgrin:

Hes gonna go, if rafa said hes got the funds hes got upto the 31st.

Ill be sad 2 see him go but hes served us well for 11 years and when you come to villa park in the 3rd game ill be clappin him stil, i hope he dont get booed cuz mans have 2 understand hes got 5 years left at the highest level, and he obviously wants 2 b at the highest level, i still think he'll play left mid with Gerrard and Mashcerano/Alonso in the middle.

Now O'Neil needs 2 start buyin class players not youngsters with a class future.

Fair play mate, I just remembered this thread and came back with the quotes :)

Pristine Condition
3rd August '08, 04:12 PM
This is just as bad, as the Ronaldo Saga ...

Hij
3rd August '08, 04:25 PM
This is just as bad, as the Ronaldo Saga ...

Nope.

Gareth Barry isn't interested in enlarging his already inflated ego, he just wants to join Liverpool

O Neil wants to make himself look like a cut throat manager so when Ferguson retires he'll be on the shortlist for the United jon.

Pristine Condition
3rd August '08, 05:49 PM
Nope.

Gareth Barry isn't interested in enlarging his already inflated ego, he just wants to join Liverpool

O Neil wants to make himself look like a cut throat manager so when Ferguson retires he'll be on the shortlist for the United jon.

lol, i see your point.

But i was seeing it as, both players want to leave their current clubs, the clubs don't want them to leave. It's been dragging on all summer and it's pretty jarring now, as it's in the papers everyday.

Hij
3rd August '08, 05:51 PM
lol, i see your point.

But i was seeing it as, both players want to leave their current clubs, the clubs don't want them to leave. It's been dragging on all summer and it's pretty jarring now, as it's in the papers everyday.
Here, we agree :D

Pristine Condition
3rd August '08, 05:57 PM
Here, we agree :D

:D