PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal Linked With Alonso

Eric Cantona
16th July '08, 04:26 PM
Arsenal have been linked with possible move for Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso.

Liverpool’s hoped-for signing of Aston Villa’s Gareth Barry has stalled, and their proposed sale of Xabi Alonso to Juventus has collapsed - but now Arsenal are being linked with both midfielders.

Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill revealed earlier this week that the Gunners had enquired about want-away Villa skipper Barry, and today, according to The Sun, the North London club are also showing interest in Alonso.

It remains to be seen whether there is substance to The Sun’s claim that “Arsenal are eyeing a shock raid” for Alonso, though it is clear that the Spaniard will not now be moving to Juventus.

It’s also true that with Mathieu Flamini having left the Emirates for AC Milan, and Gilberto Silva on his way to Athens to complete his transfer to Panathinaikos, Arsene Wenger is suddenly short of defensive midfielders and will presumably need to enter the market for a quality replacement.

The Sun quotes a source close to Alonso as saying: "If the decision was down to Xabi, he would make the move because Arsenal's style is perfect for him."
Alonso would also be able to link up with Spain international team-mate and fellow central midfielder, Cesc Fabregas, if Arsenal’s interest proves to be genuine.

www.Goal.com (http://www.Goal.com)

RIP Jakey
16th July '08, 04:27 PM
BANG BANG! I'm excited by this but the story seems to be based on the sun :(

Nine Bar
16th July '08, 04:29 PM
Rafa aint that dumb to sell to arsene

Xtra P
16th July '08, 10:46 PM
Would be a good purchase

Hij
17th July '08, 08:01 PM
Lmao.

Eric Cantona
17th July '08, 08:02 PM
Rafa aint that dumb to sell to arsene

If the money was right, im sure he would.

The Messiah
17th July '08, 09:54 PM
Can't trust The Sun.

If Arsenal end up with either Alonso or Barry, Arsenal fans would be very happy indeed.

17th July '08, 09:59 PM
On Sky Sports they were saying Arsenal are interested in Barry, but I doubt they're gonna try and get Alonso.

I don't even know why we're selling him tbh. He's a great player, and Mascherano (and possibly Barry) won't keep him out of the team all the time.

Alfie
17th July '08, 10:00 PM
More than likely sign Bischoff on a free

Ryddel
17th July '08, 10:01 PM
i have a feeling they could get one of the two if liverpool sign barry then alonso would go to them he would fit perfectly into their system id love to see him at spurs (n/h) maybe swap and cash for keane?

Ryddel
17th July '08, 10:01 PM
It's The Sun, waste article.

The Messiah
17th July '08, 10:09 PM
i have a feeling they could get one of the two if liverpool sign barry then alonso would go to them he would fit perfectly into their system id love to see him at spurs (n/h) maybe swap and cash for keane?

Either:

Arsenal make a serious offer for Barry and get him.
Arsenal make a serious offer for Alonso, Liverpool accept and use that money to buy Barry.
Status quo is kept at Villa and 'Pool and Arsenal go and get some 16 year old Nigerian boy.

My bet is actually on option two. I've searched and found the Alonso story in a few credible places. I think Wenger would be prepared to spend 13 million on Alonso.

Ryddel
17th July '08, 11:45 PM
Yeah i agree aswell it's a conspiracy Arsenal buy Alonso 'pool offload some more fringe players and buy Keane from us and Barry. iJoke about the conspiracy, but i could see that happening, with 'pool using the 10m from Crouch and fringe players money and Alonso's to fund a move for both, if reports are correct.

Anonymous
18th July '08, 02:04 AM
IMO Alonso > Barry

KingSizeBlues
18th July '08, 09:58 AM
IMO Alonso > Barry
its a hard one to say yano

18th July '08, 11:43 AM
IMO Alonso > Barry

solve
22nd July '08, 08:06 PM
i think we need barry more than we need alonso. Barry is a better ball winner. we dont need another great passer of the ball in the centre alongside cesc. My ideal replacement for Flamini and Gilberto would be Yaya Toure. We need a big powerhouse of a midfielder. Not too convinced that Diaby can do a job for 35-40 games for us in there

Kardo
23rd July '08, 04:18 PM
The Sun

Cooks
24th July '08, 04:43 PM
Be a good move for Xabi.
Arsenal will have a nice replacement for Gilberto and plus hes played alongside Fabregas in the national team so shouldnt take that long to adapt.

Hij
24th July '08, 05:48 PM
I cant see it happening.

Grimes
24th July '08, 05:52 PM
[Devlin]These rumours make me crease like my mums ironing[Devlin]