PDA

View Full Version : Dos Santos: I Snubbed Chelsea And United For Spurs

Eric Cantona
30th June '08, 08:52 PM
Giovani Dos Santos has revealed that he opted to leave Barcelona because he wanted to be able to play first team football every week and knew that was impossible at Camp Nou...

Read More here...

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=757068

RIP Jakey
30th June '08, 08:53 PM
Bollocks imo

RIP Jakey
30th June '08, 08:55 PM
Ferguson is good at turning talented youngsters into world class players, why would he turn down united? its bollocks for the spurs fans.

Eric Cantona
30th June '08, 08:56 PM
Hahaha, your maybe right, but i can't see him lying just id say that Chelsea & Man Utd interest weren't very strong maybe.

RIP Jakey
30th June '08, 09:01 PM
Hahaha, your maybe right, but i can't see him lying just id say that Chelsea & Man Utd interest weren't very strong maybe.

Yeah probably.

out there
30th June '08, 09:02 PM
normzz

Seven
30th June '08, 09:09 PM
vela>>dos santos

!!

Eric Cantona
30th June '08, 09:12 PM
vela>>dos santos

!!

You never seen any of them play you leg end.

Alfie
30th June '08, 09:16 PM
More fool him.

RIP Jakey
30th June '08, 10:00 PM
You never seen any of them play you bell end.

Ransom
1st July '08, 12:04 AM

lol.

Ryddel
1st July '08, 12:20 AM
vela>>dos santos

!!

lol @ never seeing them play but becuase one plays for arse and the other for spurs u hate lool

Ryddel
1st July '08, 12:22 AM
More fool him.

bruv you cant accept anything spurs do get off of arsene wenger's dick (no homo)

i aint no deluded one i cana ccept when l'arse play good or whatever you just cant wasteman.

Xtra P
1st July '08, 12:37 AM
Overated.. check!

Not very bright.. check

Seems like the perfect signin for the yids!

Who seriouly thinks he's gonna do well in the prem?
Ill bet anyone on this forum that he will flop!

Eric Cantona
1st July '08, 12:39 AM
Overated.. check!

Not very bright.. check

What do you class as flopping becasue i'll take this bet.

Xtra P
1st July '08, 12:46 AM
What do you class as flopping becasue i'll take this bet.

Think Reyes, think morentez, think kleberson, basically a player who just cannot cut it in the prem!

Eric Cantona
1st July '08, 12:54 AM
Cool.

I'm looking forward to this.

He won't flop.

Xtra P
1st July '08, 02:01 AM
Cool.

I'm looking forward to this.

He won't flop.

We'll see.

The Messiah
1st July '08, 12:57 PM
We'll see.

Vela vs. Dos Santos?

I'm backing Vela every single time.

Xtra P
1st July '08, 01:04 PM

Vela vs. Dos Santos?

C/S

Vela's clearly the better player!

Lady In Red
1st July '08, 01:40 PM
He is a fool then

Ryddel
1st July '08, 09:06 PM
loool at guys who aint even seen vela play but jus breddin because wenger signed him, i can think of plenty of flops that wenger signed i only have to mention francis jeffers and richard wright and theres probably more like bentley who was shit at arsenal and pennant

Eric Cantona
1st July '08, 09:30 PM
How is Vela clearly better lol?

Just becasue Wenger poked him from early don't make him better

Ryddel
1st July '08, 09:47 PM
That aimed at me?

'nuum general
1st July '08, 10:04 PM
I reckon the two of them have similar potential, it'll come down to how well they adapt to the premiership, how much football they get & the quality of their training

Xtra P
2nd July '08, 12:34 AM
loool at guys who aint even seen vela play but jus breddin because wenger signed him, i can think of plenty of flops that wenger signed i only have to mention francis jeffers and richard wright and theres probably more like bentley who was shit at arsenal and pennant

I watched Vela play for Osasuna last season, get your facts in order pimpin!

Entity
2nd July '08, 12:44 AM
It doesn't even matter that much how Vela did for Osasuna, the league's are too far apart right now in terms of quality and style. I remember Mark Gonzalez starring in Spain while on loan from Liverpool aswell.

Dos Santos has more potential.

Xtra P
2nd July '08, 01:30 AM
It doesn't even matter that much how Vela did for Osasuna, the league's are too far apart right now in terms of quality and style. I remember Mark Gonzalez starring in Spain while on loan from Liverpool aswell.

What are you basing this assumption on?

How much ave you seen Dos Santos play?

Dos Santos hardly played for Barca & they didn't hesitate to let him go?

Doesn't that tell you something?

Xtra P
2nd July '08, 01:38 AM

Dos Santos played in La liga aswell genius!

And so what if La Liga is different in terms of quality & style, you can still get an idea of what a player is capible of when you watch them play in la Liga!

ZDOT
2nd July '08, 04:43 PM
Dos santos has mad skills, from what ive seen of him he looks like a younger version of Ronaldinho

Eric Cantona
2nd July '08, 05:22 PM
Dos santos has mad skills, from what ive seen of him he looks like a younger version of Ronaldinho

People said he was the next Ronaldinho.

Seven
2nd July '08, 05:51 PM

STFU i watchd the U 17 WC final

Vela duppied that tournament

Xtra P
2nd July '08, 06:10 PM
I aint even sayin no more on the Vela versus Dos Santos argument, lets just wait & see what happens, all this talk is irrelevant, people seem to be forgettin about aaron lennon, I thought he was the next big thing at spurs, what... is Dos santos gonna displace him? Anyway.. no hype, we'll see what happens init.

GrimePays
2nd July '08, 06:15 PM
Vela is better than Dos Santos

Ryddel
2nd July '08, 06:40 PM
@xtra p Barca are obviously a lot better team than Osasuna even if Barca did have a shit season its still alot harder to displace their starting 11 than Osasuna's alie?

so its likely that people have seen less of Dos Santos anyway lets just see what happens

Xtra P
2nd July '08, 06:56 PM
@xtra p Barca are obviously a lot better team than Osasuna even if Barca did have a shit season its still alot harder to displace their starting 11 than Osasuna's alie?

so its likely that people have seen less of Dos Santos anyway lets just see what happens

Barca being better than Osasuna has absolutely nothing to do with anything, the reason I mentioned Osasuna was to back up the point I was making about watchin more of Vela so I have a good idea of his potential!

People are sayin Dos Santos is better than Vela but they hav'nt even seen him play a full match so how could they know?.. youtube clips??? smh

I don't see Barca gettin rid of Bojan, so why were they so quick to let Dos Santos go & why did'nt any big clubs go in for him?

THINK ABOUT IT

Anonymous
2nd July '08, 07:12 PM
STFU i watchd the U 17 WC final

Vela duppied that tournament

LOL well if you watched that then you clearly know that Dos Santos played better. Assisted at least half of all goals his team scored and got 2nd best player of the tournament behind Man Utd's Anderson.
Fool.

Eric Cantona
2nd July '08, 08:04 PM
Barca being better than Osasuna has absolutely nothing to do with anything, the reason I mentioned Osasuna was to back up the point I was making about watchin more of Vela so I have a good idea of his potential!

People are sayin Dos Santos is better than Vela but they hav'nt even seen him play a full match so how could they know?.. youtube clips??? smh

I don't see Barca gettin rid of Bojan, so why were they so quick to let Dos Santos go & why did'nt any big clubs go in for him?

THINK ABOUT IT

Nobody said that.

It's just Arsenal fans quickly trying to quickly shoot down Dos Santos's hype when there's nothing in him & Vela and there potential.

Hij
2nd July '08, 08:31 PM

I'm backing Vela every single time.never even seen him playh

Xtra P
2nd July '08, 08:31 PM
Nobody said that.

It's just Arsenal fans quickly trying to quickly shoot down Dos Santos's hype when there's nothing in him & Vela and there potential.

He signed for spurs wtf do you expect???????

Its called rivalry cuzo!

Hij
2nd July '08, 08:32 PM
Man.

Arsenal fans make me laugh.

As much as I know we aint won anything in 2 years.

In the last 3 years.
Arsenal 0, Tottenham 1 in trophies

yet the 'beautiful football' (we're forgeting George Graham here) is apparently worth winning nothing lol

Eric Cantona
2nd July '08, 08:32 PM
Yeh, there's your problem.

Becasue your an Arsenal fan you don't believe they are a big club.

They are.

And.

Berbatov, Modric & Dos Santos.

Are.

Really.

Really.

Good.

Hij
2nd July '08, 08:34 PM

They are.

And.

Are.

Really.

Really.

Good.

Im readily available to admit we're on the level as Arsenal, which ultimately means we're not on the level of Chelsea/United yet, but Arsenal fans think they are AMAZING.

Won fuck all.

Xtra P
2nd July '08, 08:37 PM
Man.

Arsenal fans make me laugh.

As much as I know we aint won anything in 2 years.

In the last 3 years.
Arsenal 0, Tottenham 1 in trophies

yet the 'beautiful football' (we're forgeting George Graham here) is apparently worth winning nothing lol

Da hell you bablin about now??

Lets keep within the subject please people!

GrimePays
2nd July '08, 08:40 PM
allow me this one off topic post:

Hij summed it up

this beautiful sissy pussy french footall gets you fuck all, shat ap

difference between United and other top 3 = we play good AND win stuff

Xtra P
2nd July '08, 08:40 PM

They are.

And.

Are.

Really.

Really.

Good.

Me & every other Arsenal fan have admitted those players a good, Dos Santos is unproven so he cant be considered good yet!

Spurs bein a big club is debatable, it comes down to what you think a big club is, is it trophies won? Money? Prestige? Fanbase? History?

Xtra P
2nd July '08, 08:44 PM
Im readily available to admit we're on the level as Arsenal, which ultimately means we're not on the level of Chelsea/United yet, but Arsenal fans think they are AMAZING.

Won fuck all.

I chanllenge you to find quotes to back up your throw away statements, you just splurt out nonsense without any real quotes or evidence!

GrimePays
2nd July '08, 08:46 PM
Dos Santos went for 5 mill like he was any player, and no one else went for him. (man city?)

pretty sure hes not all that great

now JO, thats a signing ...

Hij
2nd July '08, 09:06 PM
allow me this one off topic post:

Hij summed it up

this beautiful sissy pussy french footall gets you fuck all, shat ap

difference between United and other top 3 = we play good AND win stuff

United are quality and I respect them. Hate to say it though.

Arsenal aint won shit in 3 years, since they won the FA Cup, we won the Champions League and the FA Cup and Tottenham won the league cup.

Wenger can suck his own cock.

Benitez will do a lot thoughq

Xtra P
2nd July '08, 09:22 PM
^^lool@this drunken holligan!!!

aight, Hij just stormed in & started rantin about Arsenal & breddin United even though he's a Liverpool fan!

Ill put it down to alkohol!

Fuck yo Champions League, try winnin the prem!!!

Ryddel
2nd July '08, 09:54 PM

THINK ABOUT IT

how do you know if big clubs didn't go in for him jus because the "media" reported spurs and some others, im not gonna lie i aint seen dos santos play and i haven't watched youtube clips either mainly because i didn't expect us to sign him so i never paid any attention to la liga and apparently barca have an option to buy him back later so they weren't quick to offer him off if reports are true, and also it had something to do with agreeing a deal for berbatov, but if we didn't have clauses like that do you really think they would have let him go so "freely"??

Ryddel
2nd July '08, 09:56 PM
He signed for spurs wtf do you expect???????

Its called rivalry cuzo!

After reading that your point is invalid your just backing vela because he plays for your lot loool

I can admit that arsenal have good players and im not biased about it.

Anonymous
2nd July '08, 10:03 PM
XtraP is air.

ZDOT
2nd July '08, 10:10 PM
Tottenhams Fully Fit Defence Is too Much

Hutton King Woodgate Bale

The Midfield is gonna be strong next season aswell,

Lennon/Bently Modric Huddlestone/Jenas Dos Santos

And If Berbatov Stays

Berbatov Keane

will fuck up most teams

Xtra P
2nd July '08, 10:22 PM
how do you know if big clubs didn't go in for him jus because the "media" reported spurs and some others, im not gonna lie i aint seen dos santos play and i haven't watched youtube clips either mainly because i didn't expect us to sign him so i never paid any attention to la liga and apparently barca have an option to buy him back later so they weren't quick to offer him off if reports are true, and also it had something to do with agreeing a deal for berbatov, but if we didn't have clauses like that do you really think they would have let him go so "freely"??

Come on cuz, lets keep it real, if Arsenal, Man U, AC or Inter had gone in for him, you really think he would still choose Spurs???

A team that doesn't play Champs Leauge football, he can't be too abitious if thats the case!

Xtra P
2nd July '08, 10:26 PM
After reading that your point is invalid your just backing vela because he plays for your lot loool

I can admit that arsenal have good players and im not biased about it.

My point is not invalid because I do believe that Vela is better!

But as I said before, we will see, I have no more to say on this subject!

Lets just wait & see!

Hij
2nd July '08, 10:33 PM
^^lool@this drunken holligan!!!

aight, Hij just stormed in & started rantin about Arsenal & breddin United even though he's a Liverpool fan!

Ill put it down to alkohol!

Fuck yo Champions League, try winnin the prem!!!

Firstly, Don't call it 'the prem' or your any rich kid who begged to be allowedf out. And how can you not bred the Premier League and European Cup Champions????

They are the best in the World Right now and I hate them.

I aint breddin Im just saying the truth. Allow it.

I've spent over 3 grand on football. If Liverpool win the league it willl be worth it, go on Rafa

Xtra P
2nd July '08, 10:50 PM
XtraP is air.

Whats that supposed to mean???

Xtra P
2nd July '08, 10:55 PM
Firstly, Don't call it 'the prem' or your any rich kid who begged to be allowedf out. And how can you not bred the Premier League and European Cup Champions????

They are the best in the World Right now and I hate them.

I aint breddin Im just saying the truth. Allow it.

I've spent over 3 grand on football. If Liverpool win the league it willl be worth it, go on Rafa

I called it "the prem" simply because I could'nt be bothred to spell it out don't hype!

Safe.. manure won the Premier League and European Cup & I realise they are the best right now but I will never bred them the way you did,

You come like an undercover spurs fan the way you hate on Arsenal.

Corleone Beats
2nd July '08, 10:57 PM
good signing for spurs he's quality

The Messiah
3rd July '08, 12:17 AM

Won fuck all.

Mate, Arsenal are closer to the "top two" (if you wish to call them that) than Liverpool are. Liverpool are definitely homing in, but not at Arsenal's level yet.

Sorry.

Entity
3rd July '08, 04:29 AM
Dos Santos played in La liga aswell genius!

And so what if La Liga is different in terms of quality & style, you can still get an idea of what a player is capible of when you watch them play in la Liga! Oh Really ! Barcelona play in La Liga ! I must have been mistaken.
Please don't patronise me like that like I'm any guy trying to chat about football. I never said Dos Santos was better based on any of that. I just said don't read too much into Vela's peformances based on how he did for Osasuna, because for a 5 foot 7, 19 year old, the transition to the Premier League is going to be another ball game. Your going on like both haven't played for Mexico or their youth teams aswell.

If I did want to point out their La Liga peformances, I could say Dos Santos scored as many goals as Vela, in less appearances, but that isn't my argument, you can't judge their eventual talent based on how they've done at the moment. I'm just saying I personally believe Dos Santos has more potential based on what I've seen from them both.

Anonymous
3rd July '08, 09:30 AM
I'm just saying I personally believe Dos Santos has more potential based on what I've seen from them both.
Seems to be what everyone thinks...except XtraP

Jeeves
3rd July '08, 09:57 AM

And all the other Arsenal fans...

Xtra P
3rd July '08, 11:09 AM
Oh Really ! Barcelona play in La Liga ! I must have been mistaken.
Please don't patronise me like that like I'm any guy trying to chat about football. I never said Dos Santos was better based on any of that. I just said don't read too much into Vela's peformances based on how he did for Osasuna, because for a 5 foot 7, 19 year old, the transition to the Premier League is going to be another ball game. Your going on like both haven't played for Mexico or their youth teams aswell.

If I did want to point out their La Liga peformances, I could say Dos Santos scored as many goals as Vela, in less appearances, but that isn't my argument, you can't judge their eventual talent based on how they've done at the moment. I'm just saying I personally believe Dos Santos has more potential based on what I've seen from them both.

Cool!

Ive aleady stated that im done with this subject, well see what happens!

Xtra P
3rd July '08, 11:11 AM

You should proberly try reading through the thread, you'll find other people who agree with me..

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL!!

Jae Dave
4th July '08, 12:15 AM

Vela vs. Dos Santos?

i would back Vela too only cos i trust the reaserchers of FM! :laugh:

Entity
8th July '08, 11:14 PM
i would back Vela too only cos i trust the reaserchers of FM! :laugh: true on many occasions, but also far from it on others. 'Daniel Braaten' is a nice case lol.

Strife
18th September '12, 11:40 PM
Giovani Dos Santos has revealed that he opted to leave Barcelona because he wanted to be able to play first team football every week and knew that was impossible at Camp Nou...

:laugh::laugh:

Im sorry but this is just :laugh:

Hij
18th September '12, 11:44 PM
An epic bump of a thread

Mate, Arsenal are closer to the "top two" (if you wish to call them that) than Liverpool are. Liverpool are definitely homing in, but not at Arsenal's level yet.

Sorry.

Hilarious looking back on that discussion.

We went on to challenge for the title 4-5 months after I wrote that and finish 2nd above Arsenal, then we faded after that and dropped right out of the top four, and Arsenal have still won fuck all :laugh: we both hurting <<<<<

Xtra P
18th September '12, 11:58 PM
Overated.. check!

Not very bright.. check

http://i42.tinypic.com/25am8b9.gif

What u saying bro? Eric Cantona

An epic bump of a thread

We went on to challenge for the title 4-5 months after I wrote that and finish 2nd above Arsenal, then we faded after that and dropped right out of the top four, and Arsenal have still won fuck all :laugh: we both hurting <<<<<

Messiahs post still stands tho, even though we've both won fuck all, Arsenal are a better team than Liverpool and have been for years.

Hij
19th September '12, 12:03 AM
Messiahs post still stands tho, even though we've both won fuck all, Arsenal are a better team than Liverpool and have been for years.
Hindsight is excellent.

At that moment of time, we had made the purchase of Torres, and went on an epic run that season finishing above Arsenal- if we didn't have the mill of debt hanging around our necks, we would surely have built on that and perhaps kept some of our better players we could have stayed above you- you haven't finished in the top two for a while now either, and have been fighting for 3rd/4th.

I cannot argue that you are better now, but at the time I wrote that post, we were on the up and I don't think I was wrong.

We were...

Above Arsenal 08/09
Behind Arsenal in 07/08
Above Arsenal in 06/07
Above Arsenal in 05/06 - Liverpool win the FA Cup
Behind Arsenal in 04/05 - Arsenal win the FA Cup, Liverpool win the Champions League

That's not a bad five years compared with Arsenal tbh, and it wasn't clear at that time you were any better.

Clive Eboue
19th September '12, 12:09 AM
Did we win the FA cup in 1905? Didn't even realise.

Xtra P
19th September '12, 12:11 AM
"Hindsight is excellent"

exactly and you were the one who bumped the quote Hij

Hij
19th September '12, 12:13 AM
Did we win the FA cup in 1905? Didn't even realise.

Shit banter is shit banter.

Anyway before the 30+ Arsenal fans descend on this thread, at the moment in time I made those comments I truly believed them and I think I had a compelling case, despite Arsenal's strangehold on the top four for the last 15 years.

Despite that, I really can't be arsed to argue about it now, as we got rid of the manager that gave us that success because our fans are all dickhead cunts and we're absolutely shite now. I will unleash all of this anger on Sunday at Anfield. Good day.

"Hindsight is excellent"

exactly and you were the one who bumped the quote @Hij (http://www.grimeforum.com/forum/member.php?u=1)

Exactly?

Because I referenced how shit we are now, that we didn't progress as I hoped we would from where we were then? I'm not really sure what you're getting at. My post in this thread, is actually that neither of Arsenal/Liverpool have really done anything of note since our argument and bluster, and while Arsenal might be "better" it's of scant consolation when you finish season after season without a pot to piss in.

I was taking the piss out of us as well.

Clive Eboue
19th September '12, 12:14 AM
I was mocking our trophy drought :laugh:

MoneyMan
19th September '12, 12:15 AM
Hij I think the decision to get rid of Rafa was the right one, it's just every decision since has been as wrong as possible lol

Hij
19th September '12, 12:17 AM

At that moment in time, when I wrote that, I was right.

I was mocking our trophy drought :laugh:
Oh fair, I thought it was a pop at my carefully constructed post.

Xtra P
19th September '12, 12:17 AM
Cool, thought mans were sending, my apologies Hij

War mode averted.

Hij
19th September '12, 12:20 AM
@Hij (http://www.grimeforum.com/forum/member.php?u=1) I think the decision to get rid of Rafa was the right one, it's just every decision since has been as wrong as possible lol

The right decision :lol:

You mean the guy that had us above 80 points twice, took us to two Champions League finals and another semi, placed us above Arsenal three times, qualified for the Champions League 5 out of 6 times (we haven't qualified since he left), and took us to the Bernabeua and the Nou Camp where we beat them, had Carragher of all people as one of the best centre backs in Europe during his time, master minded two semi final victories over Mourinho, who is responsible for Suso, Sterling, Shelvey, Flanagan, Kelly who are supplementing our squad?

Nah we were wrong to get rid, and should have recruited him over Rodgers tbh. The American's don't want him because he will expose their lack of ambition if they try to par him. Every season that goes by and we're wallowing like dickheads, is surely another of vindication to Rafa? That we couldn't give him one season to turn it around. He missed out on the new owners by 3 months. Three fucking months, it actually angers me.

MoneyMan
19th September '12, 12:21 AM
The right decision :lol:

You mean the guy that had us above 80 points twice, took us to two Champions League finals, placed us above Arsenal three times, qualified for the Champions League 5 out of 6 times (we haven't qualified since he left), and took us to the Bernabeua and the Nou Camp where we beat them teams? And is responsible for Suso, Sterling, Shelvey, Flanagan, Kelly who are supplementing our squad.

Nah we were wrong to get rid, and should have recruited him over Rodgers tbh. The American's don't want him because he will expose their lack of ambition.

Yo, I know you have serious man love for Rafa, and i'm not one of them reds who hates him, but I just felt he had taken us as far as he could. Granted, things all got twisted because of the shit owners and with better people in charge, or maybe the current lot, Rafa might have been able to stay on.

But put it this way, I was more shocked and saddened when in a train station this summer and I saw Kenny had been sacked, than when I found out Rafa had gone.

The subsequent shit signings (both players and staff) have made Rafa's departure look like a terrible decision, but at the time I wasn't that mad. That's all i'm saying.

Hindsight and everything.

Cazorla
19th September '12, 12:22 AM
:laugh:

If Benitez was still at Liverpool you wouldn't be deep in the shit like you are now. Guy was a don.

All that stuff with Alonso and Barry was silly though.

Xtra P
19th September '12, 12:23 AM

If Benitez was still at Liverpool you wouldn't be deep in the shit like you are now. Guy was a don.

Moneyman bro, you do talk some nonsense.

"took us as far as he could" :laugh: the type of thing clueless pundits spew, pure nonsense.

Hij
19th September '12, 12:28 AM
Rafa over achieved, our biggest problem was complacency, and to be fair, while I take the piss out of Wenger for not winning things but keeping them in the top four, we'd give our right arm for a manager who could do that now. But Rafa has experience of taking teams like ours above the likes of Arsenal/Tottenham/Aston Villa/Everton, or Valencia above Barcelona/Real Madrid, he was the man we needed in 04/05 and tbh he's the man we needed in summer as he has the track record of doing it.

There's a part in his book that's coming out where he proper explains it. The season before hand, Alonso handed in a transfer request the night of a game, but he told him to play and from then he planned to get rid of him (as the most saleable asset as we had hardly any actual funds to spend). Also for the wages Alonso was on, he only played like 43% of the games that season, so perhaps it would have been a good idea in those circumstances, to get the most of the money that was going to Alonso and re-distribute. Then Alonso had an epic season, and it became a ballache, because Alonso wanted out but if he could maintain the same games that next season it was worth keeping him.

Also Aurelio was proving to be injured a lot, and was on high wages and only Insua was there as cover, so with Barry he could have a player who could play in the middle of the park, but could also slot it in at left back if we needed him. He was hoping to get Barry and Jovetic and Sylvian Distin after selling Alonso (as he had raised funds before that window from other players) - but he was given enough for Aqualiani and Kyriakos. £15-20m went on interest payments.

Overall, yeah he fucked up, but I think it's like someone telling you the flags in that direction when playing golf and then moving the flag half way through your swing. If he knew he wouldn't be afforded all the money, he'd have forced him to stay I imagine or done things slightly differently..

MoneyMan
19th September '12, 12:29 AM

Moneyman bro, you do talk some nonsense.

"took us as far as he could" :laugh: the type of thing clueless pundits spew, pure nonsense.

We won the Champions League, and came 4 points off the league title. Rafa could physically not have taken us any higher without serious investment. Back in those days I was screaming out for Villa to partner Torres, it was always rumoured about but whether we had any serious interest or not I dunno, we let him go Barca and the rest is history.

Rafa was a great manager for us, the best in my lifetime and believe me I appreciate him. But guys are gassed, when looking back on the past we always tart it up and tend to forget the bad times, but Rafa made some seriously shit signings as well as all the good ones Hij and you know that deep down.

Was I happy that we got rid of a CL winning manager and then went on to employ Woy and come not far off mid table? Of course fucking not! But would we right now be challenging for the Prem if we kept Raf? No.

Hij
19th September '12, 12:30 AM
Rafa took us up the table. He would do it again if he had the chance. He also wanted to come back, so it's a shame.

Cazorla
19th September '12, 12:31 AM
There's a part in his book that's coming out where he proper explains it. The season before hand, Alonso handed in a transfer request the night of a game, but he told him to play and from then he planned to get rid of him (as the most saleable asset as we had no actual funds to spend).

Also Aurelio was proving to be injured a lot, and was on high wages and only Insua was there as cover, so with Barry he could have a player who could play in the middle of the park, but could also slot it in at left back if we needed him. He was hoping to get Barry and Jovetic and Sylvian Distin after selling Alonso (as he had raised funds before that window from other players) - but he was given enough for Aqualiani and Kyriakos. £15-20m went on interest payments.

When is this book out, will have to give it a read.

Clive Eboue
19th September '12, 12:32 AM
We won the Champions League, and came 4 points off the league title. Rafa could physically not have taken us any higher without serious investment. Back in those days I was screaming out for Villa to partner Torres, it was always rumoured about but whether we had any serious interest or not I dunno, we let him go Barca and the rest is history.

Rafa was a great manager for us, the best in my lifetime and believe me I appreciate him. But guys are gassed, when looking back on the past we always tart it up and tend to forget the bad times, but Rafa made some seriously shit signings as well as all the good ones Hij and you know that deep down.

Was I happy that we got rid of a CL winning manager and then went on to employ Woy and come not far off mid table? Of course fucking not! But would we right now be challenging for the Prem if we kept Raf? No.

You "let" Villa go to Barca? Even if you were in for him at the time I'm 95% he would have gone to Barca anyway.

Hij
19th September '12, 12:35 AM
When is this book out, will have to give it a read.

It's called Champions League dreams, and discusses some of the tactics he used in Europe, it's interesting. You realise more thought goes in from these managers than you think (or we'd all be managers lol)

Juventus Away 2005 (leading 2-1 from first leg)

At the centre of our plan for our away leg against Juventus in 2005 was Xabi Alonso. He had not played since January 1, spending three arduous months recovering from his broken ankle. We knew, though, that we would need him in Turin.

We had targeted this game for his return as soon as we had progressed against Leverkusen in the previous round. He had slowly, steadily, stepped up his recuperation, but he would still be short of match fitness, more fragile than we would like. We would require a system to protect him.

Rather than play in our usual 4-2-3-1 formation, I decided to switch to three central defenders — Carra [Jamie Carragher], [Sami] Hyypia and [Djimi] Traoré — with Steve Finnan and John-Arne Riise deployed as wing backs. In the middle, Xabi would play deep, with Igor Biscan and Antonio Nuñez acting almost as bodyguards, doing the running that he simply was not fit enough to do.

It was imperative, too, that we did not sit too deep. Even on nights like that, when keeping a clean sheet to protect your 2-1 aggregate lead is all you need to do to ensure qualification, I would never encourage my team to sit back, to drop right to the edge of our box. If you play deep, you will make a mistake. My idea is always, always, to push out, to get the ball as far from our goal as possible.

That was our idea, but we had one more trick up our sleeves.

Instead of instructing the team to line up in our specially-designed formation, I told them to play for the first two minutes in the 4-2-3-1 that Fabio Capello and the rest of Juventus’s coaching staff would probably have been expecting.

Only after the game was underway would we move, organically, into the 3-5-1-1. It is a little trick that, sometimes, managers use. Often, if your opponents see you start the game in a different way to the one they had anticipated, they will react, adapting their own system to counteract yours. That is the manager’s job, of course, to change his approach depending on circumstances.

If you change after a few minutes, it can look more natural. Sometimes, your rivals will not alter a thing.

Barcelona 2007 - leading 2-1 from first leg

Know your opponents When we played Barcelona in 2007, it was not simply a matter of doing anything we could to stop Lionel Messi. We were just as concerned with how to cope with Ronaldinho. The Brazilian played on the left wing, nominally, but would drift inside, occupying space between the lines.

That would create a problem for Steve Finnan, our right back. If he tracked Ronaldinho, he would leave space for Barcelona’s left back, Gianluca Zambrotta, to exploit. The threat of Barcelona’s No 10, though, was more important. I instructed Finnan to follow his man, to push him, not to allow him a moment to play the sort of penetrating pass which could cut a defence apart.

On the opposite side, we would play Álvaro Arbeloa, signed as recently as January from Deportivo La Coruña, against Messi. It would be Arbeloa’s first start for Liverpool. His opponent was just a teenager, not yet talked of as one of the finest players in history, but it was still one of the more intimidating debuts in world football.

Arbeloa is not the sort of player to get scared, though, and he was confident he could do what was being asked of him. Besides, a manager does not simply come up with an idea and then tell his players about it an hour or so before the game. In Portugal, and upon our return to Melwood, we worked extensively on what we hoped Arbeloa would do.

The principle was relatively simple. Messi, playing wide on the right, favoured cutting inside on his left foot. By playing Arbeloa, naturally right footed, at left back, we would be able to prevent him embarking on those dangerous, slaloming runs. Arbeloa would have to stick close to his man, too, not allowing him to breathe. If Messi has time to turn, he can inflict substantial damage. We had to be on top of him all the time.

We drilled our new, makeshift left back extensively in the days before the game. We prepared DVDs for him so he knew Messi’s movements. In training, we played him at left back, against a left-footed player, to get him used to the job he would have to do in Barcelona.

And we prepared the rest of the team, particularly our defenders, not to use Arbeloa too much when we had possession. The danger of playing a right-footed full back at left back is that he has to turn his body inside to play the ball, which cuts off his options and slows down counter-attacks. It was crucial we did not give him too much of the ball.

The dangers of team-building In the stands, Steven Gerrard had his hands raised to his head and a look of horror on his face. Beneath him, Dirk Kuyt was catching his breath, trying to stumble to his feet. Peter Crouch was careering round at high speed and with no way of stopping. It was a week before the 2007 Champions League final, and our centre forward had just come within a whisker of running his strike partner over.

Tony Starks
19th September '12, 12:36 AM
5* thread bump

LOL @ Dos Santos, LOL @ Spurs

Xtra P
19th September '12, 12:36 AM
5* thread bump

LOL @ Dos Santos, LOL @ Spurs

/thread

MoneyMan
19th September '12, 12:37 AM
You "let" Villa go to Barca? Even if you were in for him at the time I'm 95% he would have gone to Barca anyway.

Not saying we stood much chance of getting him but in my mind at that time he would have been the PERFECT partner for Torres. I told myself they were best friends off the pitch as well lol and was literally desperate for us to sign him.
Obviously, even in 05, Barca would have been a bigger lure than us so you're right, but I don't even think we ever tried to get him, which is the thing that pisses me off.

Also, it's never been amount money for us, I don't buy that argument. Various managers, fans and owners have moaned about us not being able to pay the same as Utd, Chelsea, City ect, but the problem is we've just consistently spent the money on total shit. And that's the stick everyone uses to beat Kenny with, but he was far from the 1st or imo the worst culprit for wasting our resources.

I believe Brendan is the right man for the long term, but I have serious doubts that our owners or fans will have the patience required.
They didn't have the patience for Benitez, and he won us a fucking Champions League, so it's gonna be tricky as hell for BR but fuck it, in Rodgers I trust!

Anyway i'm derailing a thread so i'mout.gif

Hij
19th September '12, 12:40 AM
And this is regarding Alonso

Transfer talk had Xabi rebelling

Xabi Alonso is a legend at Anfield, but Rafa Benitez claims he had to stop him rebelling before a Champions League qualifier against Standard Liege in August 2008:

"We travelled to Belgium with just four central midfielders - Steven Gerrard, who was being troubled by a lower back injury, the young players Jay Spearing and Damien Plessis, and Alonso.

"My plan was to play Plessis, a strong, athletic midfielder, alongside my countryman. We could not risk Gerrard.

"I outlined it to the players in our hotel, but after I had finished speaking, Xabi asked if he might have a quiet word with me.

"The transfer window was still open and, after a summer of uncertainty, he was still unsure over his future.

"The details of that conversation must remain private, but I was certain that, in a game of such importance, there was no option but to play the best team available to us and Xabi, of course, would be part of that.

"As soon as we had finished talking, I sought out Rick Parry, our chief executive, and Sammy Lee, now appointed my assistant.

"I told them what had been said, but made it clear that Xabi would be playing the following night.
"The club had to come first."

Cazorla
19th September '12, 12:43 AM
Does he go into detail about what went down with Hicks and Gillett?

Shanger
19th September '12, 12:43 AM
AVB is gona make Spurs a force watch

Hij
19th September '12, 12:45 AM
Does he go into detail about what went down with Hicks and Gillett?

Some detail, but I think it will be a bit later till he fully goes in. Here's some of it though

In his new book, Champions League Dreams, he accused Hicks and Gillett of wrecking the chance for Liverpool to claim a first title since 1990 by tightening the budget and forcing him to be "a bank manager".

Benitez had planned to sign either Sylvain Distin or Matthew Upson to provide centre-back cover, as well as Fiorentina forward Steven Jovetic, but was unable to land any of them and lost his job in June 2010 after the club had slipped to seventh in the Premier League.

"For five years I had been a football manager at Liverpool. By the start of my sixth, it was clear I had become something else entirely. I was suddenly supposed to be a bank manager," he wrote. "Decisions were being made to appease the banks, not the fans. That is how serious the situation with the owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, had become.

"Attempting to work in the transfer market that summer was almost impossible. We knew we would need cover and support for Fernando Torres, as David Ngog was still developing, and we had raised the cash to find it. The player we identified to fill that role was Stevan Jovetic, a young Montenegro forward playing for Fiorentina in Italy.

"The funds we thought we had available would also have stretched to another central defender, to provide cover for Jamie Carragher, Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger.

"The two players we had identified were Sylvain Distin, then with Portsmouth, and West Ham's Matthew Upson, both boasting abundant Premier League experience. Signing one of those two, plus the tall, powerful, intelligent Jovetic, would have given Liverpool the squad we needed to build on the previous year's title challenge.

"Liverpool, though, was no longer a football club. It was a business. The money, which we wanted to use to take Liverpool on to the next level, was all gone."

Benitez wrote that Liverpool "would be punished for the disappearance of that money - and our failure to sign Jovetic - again and again that season".

He said what had been supposed to be "our year" had instead turned into a "long, hard campaign, a battle from start to finish".

Cazorla
19th September '12, 12:46 AM
AVB is gona make Spurs a force watch

If not just blame the dinner lady, dodgy lasagne.

Hij
19th September '12, 12:46 AM
I asked for this book for my birthday when I heard it was coming out, my birthday was in June lol

Shanger
19th September '12, 12:49 AM
If not just blame the dinner lady, dodgy lasagne.

laugh now m8

AVB is actually THAT GUY & it will soon be peak for every1 else

Clive Eboue
19th September '12, 12:54 AM
Tottenham fan in celebrating success prematurely shocker.

Danielson
19th September '12, 01:41 AM
Dos Santos: I Snubbed Chelsea And United For Spurs

http://rapradar.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/50laugh.gif

The Messiah
19th September '12, 03:04 AM
An epic bump of a thread

Lol at the joys our respective clubs bring us.

Liverpool shouldn't have got rid of Rafa imo.

Hij
19th September '12, 03:06 AM
Lol at the joys our respective clubs bring us.

Yep :angry:

Please just can we beat the Mancs this weekend, small victories

The Messiah
19th September '12, 03:23 AM
Yep :angry:

Please just can we beat the Mancs this weekend, small victories

You guys need to win to rise from your -6 alternative table position and be reasonable shouts for Champions League. I fear your fate may have already been decided though...

Hij
19th September '12, 03:32 AM
You guys need to win to rise from your -6 alternative table position and be reasonable shouts for Champions League. I fear your fate may have already been decided though...
Home games are all 3 pointers. A win sees us move along a horizontal line (no points dropped) anything else and we fall further. There will be scope to make these points back away against shite teams, but the % of wins away goes up.

Using Arsenal last season as an example and saying "they were cool", we need to start winning very fucking quick.

chris89
19th September '12, 06:59 AM
laugh now m8

AVB is actually THAT GUY & it will soon be peak for every1 else

With AVB we started well and got shit, you've started shit and will remain shit.

Zoffie
19th September '12, 08:10 AM
"Liverpool, though, was no longer a football club. It was a business.

"For five years I had been a football manager at Liverpool. By the start of my sixth, it was clear I had become something else entirely. I was suddenly supposed to be a bank manager,"

lol.. I thought everyone was brainwashed w/... The Arsenal Business
Where a football club can, they shouldn't act like a business, a business main priority is profit, a football clubs main priority is trophies.
Debt is the enemy, not investment.

Barcelona played Dos Santos towards the end of the season primarily to try and raise his market price, this was the same La Masia graduate that got booed at the Nou camp b/c he was so shit. They used his skin colour & his Ronaldinho type hair to sell Tottenham a dream.
He's a pace merchant

Xtra P
19th September '12, 09:15 AM
:laugh: the zoffmiester strikes again

EA
19th September '12, 09:57 AM
Tottenham fan in celebrating success prematurely shocker.

What happened to the title push last season bro?

Shanger
19th September '12, 12:14 PM

With AVB we started well and got shit, you've started shit and will remain shit.

dnt say i didnt warn u

chris89
19th September '12, 12:43 PM
dnt say i didnt warn u

come at me bro?

Hij
19th September '12, 03:46 PM
lol.. I thought everyone was brainwashed w/... The Arsenal Business
Where a football club can, they shouldn't act like a business, a business main priority is profit, a football clubs main priority is trophies.
Debt is the enemy, not investment.

We agree. But when we spoke before I was talking about investment above and beyond what was within the clubs grasp.

Although to be fair, with the debt at such an amount, I guess they shouldn't have given Rafa more money to play with as it could have exacerbated the problems. Saying that though, it doesn't stop me being pissed off, they took over at a time when we were making great strides and then we started going the opposite way.