PDA

View Full Version : Is UK Hip Hop

TrueGrimeMan
28th August '10, 03:43 AM
too one sided??? Its always drug/road related. So much to the point people actually call it road rap instead of UK Hip Hop. It just doesn't deliver the same creativity/diversity as US hip hop did when it was growing and at its peak. I love UK music but the UK rappers need to be more creative/diverse. And no that doesn't mean making pop music.

Grimecraft
28th August '10, 07:35 AM
i don't have an issue with Road Rap- i prefer listening to it then listening to MC's going on about t-shirts, computers, how good they are, women or raving.

Wiz
28th August '10, 08:19 AM
TBH I have no problem with what Scorcher/Wretch/etc are making and that's not drug dealer music.

Billionaire Playboy
28th August '10, 08:33 AM
too one sided??? Its always drug/road related. So much to the point people actually call it road rap instead of UK Hip Hop. It just doesn't delivery the same creativity/diversity as US hip hop did when it was growing and at its peak. I love UK music but the UK rappers need to be more creative/diverse. And no that doesn't mean making pop music.

Ah man if you only heard Fem Fel's album...

There are artists that are maturing, and more people are coming around to the idea of concepts in songs

Mercury
28th August '10, 02:24 PM
nah that's just the shit this forum's mostly listenin to lol

p4ZWl8UNJyA

NsRaJFVtM3I

PYMUM0wE360

RWdi660OHU4

1PJwSRInkE0

FzqxyCGMG9I

pyKQRUCp0CQ

6c11WsstHT4

z4OI0GUCI_A

0C0tXDyopjM

IolsJ_Sjr70

w1CGOrLoOIo

r9eD0KNQbXA

Hve31nH87LM

djM-l1Jr39g

dVD3s8e6zxo

zYarLpHlywQ

IzFvBXSPLHc

q25yjSZ_of0

lImKlCbeoRs

GBWXcoimu9E

etc.

Meyer Lansky
28th August '10, 02:30 PM
Just be diverse with what you listen to, if that makes sense. There are plenty of uk rappers out there that dont talk about that stuff.

Blueone
28th August '10, 02:42 PM
Not really. Grimeforum members just prefer road rap.

TrueGrimeMan
28th August '10, 04:21 PM
i don't have an issue with Road Rap- i prefer listening to it then listening to MC's going on about t-shirts, computers, how good they are, women or raving.

Well that seems like a Grime comparison. I'm talking about US Hip Hop at its peak.

TBH I have no problem with what Scorcher/Wretch/etc are making and that's not drug dealer music.

I don't have a problem with it being drug dealer music. I'll pump dat shit all day. My problem is - Its not bringing the same creativity/diversity as US rappers did. Correct me if im wrong but Scorcher makes that moist shit which still comes under the cliché banner for me.

Ah man if you only heard Fem Fel's album...

There are artists that are maturing, and more people are coming around to the idea of concepts in songs

Never heard of him still. Any songs to post?

Just be diverse with what you listen to, if that makes sense. There are plenty of uk rappers out there that dont talk about that stuff.

I am diverse I just wanna to hear the diversity from the UK. Any one to recommend?

Mercury
28th August '10, 04:33 PM
Any one to recommend?

scroll up a little

HeaviestHookUps
28th August '10, 05:22 PM
Any one to recommend?

Yeah:

Jehst
Braintax
Supar Novar
Kyza
Ricta
Fliptrix
Kashmere
Blak Twang
Mr Drastick
M9
Sonny Jim
Big Cakes
Micall Parknsun
Genesis Elijah
Context MC
Million Dan
Iron Braydz
Mr Ti2bs
Reain
Dr Syntax
Stig Of The Dump
Enlish
etc etc

Do your research. Road Rap isn't all the UK hip hop that's about.

TrueGrimeMan
28th August '10, 09:28 PM
Yeah:

Jehst
Braintax
Supar Novar
Kyza
Ricta
Fliptrix
Kashmere
Blak Twang
Mr Drastick
M9
Sonny Jim
Big Cakes
Micall Parknsun
Genesis Elijah
Context MC
Million Dan
Iron Braydz
Mr Ti2bs
Reain
Dr Syntax
Stig Of The Dump
Enlish
etc etc

I don't distinguish between road rap and hip hop. Its all UK hip hop to me. Safe for the list though. I'mma look into them.

Tony Starks
28th August '10, 09:49 PM
Yeah:

Jehst
Braintax
Supar Novar
Kyza
Blak Twang
Big Cakes
Genesis Elijah

the only ones ive heard of

-Lee-
28th August '10, 10:00 PM
It's all the same under the "genre", but we all know the content/flow differentiates in a big way.

I'm a fan of "road rap", but I also love Hip-Hop with a good beat & nice flow to it. Which I find hard to find within the UK Scene.

The Don
28th August '10, 10:23 PM
foursite what's fel's album saying?

i know a guy who's been engineering for him for years who's always going on about him but i never got it tbh

TrueGrimeMan
29th August '10, 06:41 AM
It's all the same under the "genre", but we all know the content/flow differentiates in a big way.

I'm a fan of "road rap", but I also love Hip-Hop with a good beat & nice flow to it. Which I find hard to find within the UK Scene.

Which is kind of my point. The only reason its called Road Rap is because well....thats all they talk about. When in reality its UK Hip Hop - just these guys aren't being very creative. Its still music at the end of the day.

Billionaire Playboy
29th August '10, 08:44 AM
foursite what's fel's album saying?

i know a guy who's been engineering for him for years who's always going on about him but i never got it tbh

And you wont until its out... in December, check his older stuff tho, he a legend

HeaviestHookUps
29th August '10, 10:47 AM
the only ones ive heard of

Fuck it, here's vids of some of the others then:
These are the best 5 imo

Fliptrix - He Who Dares
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM0FF3a4Lc4

Dr. Syntax - Hire Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dNho0h_yQQ

Micall Parknsun - All 4 Hip Hop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxBaiKg5zBw

Ricta - Rock Caps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Q4WoxUIsw

Kashmere - Playing With Fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3cI-4RGfZM

5 of the dopest UK Hip Hop tunes.
And if you still can't distinguish between this and road rap, well, there's something wrong...

FlickmaniaCorleone
29th August '10, 11:42 AM
Hmm...but... "scorcher - it's my time" >>>>>

xD

CTC.
29th August '10, 11:43 AM
basically what HeaviestHookUps said.

its still polar opposites though.

Road Rap - drug dealing, drawing gash and getting money

the UK Hip-Hop he suggested - Doing drugs, some 'road' stuff (usually robbery or burglary/graffiti was a big theme too), being the best lyricist, lot of political stuff.

but as mentioned it's different styles under the same genre, the beats are different usually more bouncy influenced by 90s eastcoast as oppposed to the dirty south beats of road rap etc.

basically what i'm trying to say is, theres other stuff out there but its not as similar as people are making out so you might not like it.

also i have a feeling Road Rap will evolve, when theres too many rappers, lyricists will have to step up their game, thats what makes hip-hop good, the natural selection of competition.

/essay

Tony Starks
29th August '10, 12:03 PM
also i have a feeling Road Rap will evolve, when theres too many rappers, lyricists will have to step up their game, thats what makes hip-hop good, the natural selection of competition.

Truth

HeaviestHookUps
29th August '10, 12:48 PM
but as mentioned it's different styles under the same genre, the beats are different usually more bouncy influenced by 90s eastcoast as oppposed to the dirty south beats of road rap etc.

That's the most obvious difference definitely.

UK Hip Hop is far more complex, with metaphors (and yes Road Rappers do use metaphors, but they're all Gun based, or drug based) and similes, and lyricism being one of the main points as to whether a UK hip hop artist is dope or not.

Speaking as someone who was into UK Hip Hop before Road Rap (listening to Skinnyman, Klashnekoff, Micall Paknsun, Task Force, Jehst, London Posse etc before i started listening to Giggs in about 07 - who got me into the whole Road Rap scene), it's an easy option to say 'UK Hip Hop artists are MORE TALENTED than Road Rappers because the subject matter is more diverse (As mentioned before, you can go from political topics, to social commentary, to a feel good track to a track about drugs and crime on all different tracks by the same artist), whereas Road Rappers perhaps tend to stick to their 'comfort zone', e.g. Drugs and guns.

But really, who does that topic better? Is it neccessarily better to be in a genre of music where you may be more lyrical, but don't cover any one topic in any real depth, because it's the very lyricism that matters, and because your genre of music forces you to cover a huge number of topics, never focussing on one issue? Or is it better to being able to put together 2 or 3 syllable Multi rhymes (Big Black Hat/Kids Slang Crack/Click Bang Straps etc), in contrast to UK Hip Hop artists who put together 4 or 5 syllable multi's often, but cover one issue in your society in greater detail, but arguably less creatively?

Yeah, i did a bigger essay lol

Mercury
29th August '10, 03:20 PM
bX1z22Hos4g

bqiHWQERYhY

4YW9vwUO3KE

EVdcWE9JAOQ

streetstarz
29th August '10, 08:01 PM
I understand your points and we will try to get other rappers that are non drug/guns related.