PDA

View Full Version : Arteta for England?

Michael.
23rd August '10, 05:19 PM
Thoughts on this?

Would you be okay with it?

I wouldn't have a problem with it TBH but I don't think he'd start ahead of Lampard or Wellard, sorry I meant Gerrard.

:laugh:

BIGLEE
23rd August '10, 05:20 PM
yes mate

quality
23rd August '10, 05:25 PM
Lol at Mark Lawrenson saying its just not right to play for a country you have no connection to. He still calls England 'we', cunt.

Don't think England are allowing foreign players though still.

MichaelTBH
23rd August '10, 05:26 PM
would be wierd seeing him in an england shirt tbh.

Stefan Jovetic
23rd August '10, 05:45 PM
i dont see it hapnin

Clive Eboue
23rd August '10, 05:53 PM
lol @ a Spanish reject being able to walk into an England side for having technical ability. Our national team is fucked :laugh:

Block19
23rd August '10, 06:02 PM
No i wouldnt want it. He wouldnt walk into the team either.

Clive Eboue
23rd August '10, 06:17 PM
No i wouldnt want it. He wouldnt walk into the team either.

Yes he would.

Block19
23rd August '10, 06:19 PM
Is Arteta a better player than Gerrard and Lampard? Regardless of whether you think they can play together.

quality
23rd August '10, 06:50 PM
It's not to do with some Top Trumps who is better, it's to do with the fact that England don't have a player like Arteta (can hold onto the ball) while they have loads like Gerrard/Lampard (box to box, powerful, good shot, wasteful passing).

Block19
23rd August '10, 06:57 PM
It's not to do with some Top Trumps who is better, it's to do with the fact that England don't have a player like Arteta (can hold onto the ball) while they have loads like Gerrard/Lampard (box to box, powerful, good shot, wasteful passing).

Lol.

Arteta is a closer player to Gerrard/Lampard than Barry/Carrick.

Cattermole should be getting brought through anyway.

quality
23rd August '10, 07:03 PM
Cattermole = playing with 10 men 20 minutes in tbh. Can't see him ever coming through at international level. I thought he'd be alright when he was at Boro, but haven't seen him push on at all.

Carrick and Barry are examples of what type of player exactly? Slow ones who pass sideways? Carrick was fire a few years back no doubt though. No Spurs bias but Huddlestone deserves to start at least a friendly, mans passing comes like Hoddles.

Lennon/Walcott
Arteta
Huddlestone
Johnson

With Gerrard in front wouldn't be too bad. They'd hopefully get to the QFs in 2012, therefore becoming the most successful England team in recent years.

Block19
23rd August '10, 07:08 PM
Cattermole = playing with 10 men 20 minutes in tbh. Can't see him ever coming through at international level. I thought he'd be alright when he was at Boro, but haven't seen him push on at all.

Carrick and Barry are examples of what type of player exactly? Slow ones who pass sideways? Carrick was fire a few years back no doubt though. No Spurs bias but Huddlestone deserves to start at least a friendly, mans passing comes like Hoddles.

Roy Keane had a worse temper and he did fine.

Barry/Carrick are the type of player every team needs, they link the defence to midfield and allow the players like Gerrard/Lampard to push on and attack.

Clive Eboue
23rd August '10, 07:53 PM
Is Arteta a better player than Gerrard and Lampard? Regardless of whether you think they can play together.

Name one English player with more technical ability than Arteta (inb4Rooney).

Lennon/Walcott
Arteta
Huddlestone
Johnson

With Gerrard in front wouldn't be too bad. They'd hopefully get to the QFs in 2012, therefore becoming the most successful England team in recent years.

Huddlestone for England?............ lolwut.jprg

quality
23rd August '10, 08:06 PM
Swear down, watch Huddlestone. People who don't watch Spurs hype about Palacios, but he's kept him out of the team for months now. Arguably changed the game against Young Boys, him and Bale have been fantastic this season.

I used to be a massive critic, but he's lost a load of weight, is way more mobile and has improved the defensive side of his game. Add that to his passing, which is outstanding, he deserves a chance at international level.

Pezman
24th August '10, 01:02 AM
He should at least play a friendly if theyll let him

Mazer Rackham
24th August '10, 01:29 AM
lol @ a Spanish reject being able to walk into an England side for having technical ability. Our national team is fucked :laugh:

its a damn shame, the fa are to blame

Eagle
24th August '10, 10:15 AM
i'm gonna have to dead these stories for once and for all.

the home nations have a gentlemens agreement in place saying that they will not pick players who qualify for a country based on the "5 Year residence" rule

this is because Arteta (for instance) qualifies as being BRITISH. As a result it means England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland could pick him.

As a result of this agreement scotland have not picked Nacho Novo for their national team.

so stop believing the hype. almunia and arteta can not play for england due to the agreement in place. their ability is irrelevant, the "shame" it brings on the english game is also irrelevant.

MyLord
24th August '10, 01:33 PM
If this goes through it will be the transfer of which ever year its in. lol

Tony Starks
24th August '10, 01:42 PM

Genetically Genuine
24th August '10, 01:50 PM
F*ck the gentlemens agreement he's exactly the type of player England need... until Wilshere is ready :evilgrin:

Brisboy84
24th August '10, 02:42 PM
Lol at Mark Lawrenson saying its just not right to play for a country you have no connection to. He still calls England 'we', cunt.

Don't think England are allowing foreign players though still.

Innit. This coming from the man that was born in Preston i think or somewhere around there, yet chose to play for Ireland :dozey:

And all them people saying he shouldn't play for England..

John Barnes - Born in Jamaica - played for England

Owen Hargreaves - Born in Canada - played for England

Why not Arteta?

It would be a bit weird Arteta playing for England tbh, but i'd get over it soon enough. Other countries have players not born in their country playing for them without any major problems, so why not England?

And lets be real.. Player of his quality would enhance the squad.

Eagle
24th August '10, 03:00 PM
hargreaves parents are english.

the 3 criteria are

1. player born in england
2. players parent born in england
3. players grandparent born in england

we have then excluded through the "gentlemens agreement" with the other home nations

4. 5 year residency rule

yes arteta would do a good job for us, but the discussion is pointless. it's not possible.

Sir Kippington
24th August '10, 03:07 PM
i think a Spaniard is a step too far.
john barnes to be fair was born in a former colony so you could say he has more of a right than say Arteta although he is Jamaican

Brisboy84
24th August '10, 03:11 PM
hargreaves parents are english.

the 3 criteria are

1. player born in england
2. players parent born in england
3. players grandparent born in england

we have then excluded through the "gentlemens agreement" with the other home nations

4. 5 year residency rule

yes arteta would do a good job for us, but the discussion is pointless. it's not possible.

Yeah i do know bout the parentage rule n that. It's just like Arteta, the 2 players i posted (Barnes and Hargreaves) weren't born in England.

Also i dunno how long Arteta has lived here, but he qualifies on residency grounds obviously. So why you saying it's not possible?

EDIT: Just read your post bout the residency rule of him being "British" not English. Cool.

Eagle
24th August '10, 03:29 PM
tbh i would like to see arteta play for england as he's good

i never wanted almunia as i always maintained he was shit (unlike a lot of the forum)

Brisboy84
24th August '10, 03:35 PM
tbh i would like to see arteta play for england as he's good

i never wanted almunia as i always maintained he was shit (unlike a lot of the forum)

Yeah i like Arteta. But i now know why he can't play for England.

Agree with you bout Almunia. He's in the same boat as Arteta ain't he. Don't have any English parents or grandparents as far as i know. And even if he did, speaking as an Arsenal fan i wouldn't want him playing for England. Don't rate the guy.

Clive Eboue
24th August '10, 06:19 PM
Almunia has all the characteristics needed to be an England goalkepper so stop deluding yourselves smh.

NaiJaBoY
24th August '10, 07:53 PM
What other connection does Carlton Cole have with England other than the fact that he has lived here since he was born. Both parents are African, so if he can play because he has lived here...why cant Arteta?

Anyone who has a English passport should be able to player for England, simple as anything else is discrimination.

If this was Fabregas, will there even be a debate?

i think a Spaniard is a step too far.
john barnes to be fair was born in a former colony so you could say he has more of a right than say Arteta although he is Jamaican
What have u been smokin?

What right?

quality
24th August '10, 08:36 PM
Almunia has all the characteristics needed to be an England goalkepper so stop deluding yourselves smh.

Makes horrific unpressured mistakes?

Hij
24th August '10, 08:53 PM

:laugh:

nortside
24th August '10, 09:12 PM
there is a big difference between guys who come here as youngsters or teens then guys who come in their 20s and once they realise they ain't good enough or wanted by their home nation they think ooh maybe i'll play for this country

may aswell become fucking club football

Clive Eboue
24th August '10, 10:57 PM

Take a bow son.

He also has that gimpish "what the fuck am I doing here is this a dream?" expression on his face after he makes a mistake.