PDA

View Full Version : Steven Gerrard: I would 'love' to be Mikel Arteta's team-mate... for England

Sir Kippington
14th August '10, 01:45 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1302903/Steven-Gerrard-I-love-Mikel-Artetas-team-mate.html?

Discuss.

Would cut and paste the story but im too high tbh.

How would you feel about Arteta playing for England?

Matt91
14th August '10, 02:01 AM
Wouldn't care tbh he's good.

Hij
14th August '10, 02:11 AM
Arteta is sick.

The Don
14th August '10, 02:12 AM
would welcome it

same as n'zogbia

but apparently whilst it's possible for other nationalities to play for england there's some gentlemans agreement between the british teams to not do it my boy was saying?

Hij
14th August '10, 02:17 AM
Don't mean to be a cock as I'm genuinely baffed, why would the clubs care?

Eric Cantona
14th August '10, 03:04 AM
Arteta isn't English though

CHUCK.
14th August '10, 03:26 AM

he hasnt been capped for spain, and he's qualified since he's lived here for a while.

Sir Kippington
14th August '10, 09:06 AM

Neither was john barnes or that lad that plays for UTD with the dogdy knees (cant remember his name used to play for bayern)

quality
14th August '10, 09:34 AM
Arteta would probably replace Lampard and Gerrard in the team tbh. Can't see it happening.

Rambo
14th August '10, 09:39 AM
Neither was john barnes or that lad that plays for UTD with the dogdy knees (cant remember his name used to play for bayern)

hargreaves

if hes good he should play.. it worked in cricket

Eagle
14th August '10, 09:51 AM
can't happen as we have an agreement with the other home nations

good luck to everyone on opening day. im off to the pub then whl. safe

Rambo
14th August '10, 09:53 AM
can't happen as we have an agreement with the other home nations

good luck to everyone on opening day. im off to the pub then whl. safe

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/article254043.ece/ALTERNATES/gallery-large/Soccer+-+Barclays+Premier+League+-+Tottenham+Hotspur+v+Wolverhampton+Wanderers+-+White+Hart+Lane.jpeg

that whl?

`Row
14th August '10, 10:55 AM

Hargreaves has a welsh mother, and english father. So he could play for Wales, England or Canada (where he was born). That's a different situation to arteta slightly.

BIGLEE
14th August '10, 11:18 AM
arteta is a don

quality
14th August '10, 11:36 AM
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/article254043.ece/ALTERNATES/gallery-large/Soccer+-+Barclays+Premier+League+-+Tottenham+Hotspur+v+Wolverhampton+Wanderers+-+White+Hart+Lane.jpeg

that whl?

Nar fam this one still...

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01616/Danny_Rose-1_1616595c.jpg

Eric Cantona
14th August '10, 12:49 PM

He moved to England when he was 15, at least he came through our youth systems

Hargreaves Dad is English

Arteta has lived in England for 5 years and that qualifies him to represent us? Not for me, i don't care how shit we are having non-english play for us would just ruin watching England for me, Arteta should just move back to Spain and i'm sure he'll get a cap sometime

daspecimen
14th August '10, 12:52 PM

Arteta has lived in England for 5 years and that qualifies him to represent us? Not for me, i don't care how shit we are having non-english play for us would just ruin watching England for me, Arteta should just move back to Spain and i'm sure he'll get a cap sometime

this. i think it's different when they have english parents, but if they don't i think it's very silly. especially when they are getting passports from their grandparents etc

Ro-Man Roader
14th August '10, 12:58 PM
Thanks but no thanks, got to give the English youts their chance to show what they can do.

Allow having a Spanish player in the England team, would make us look desperate.

Hij
14th August '10, 02:53 PM
Eric Cantona is spot on.

'nuum general
14th August '10, 02:57 PM
N'Zogbia was in the last France squad, would be good to see arteta at international level

RIP Jakey
14th August '10, 02:57 PM

Gary_LFC
14th August '10, 03:03 PM
I can remember a simallar situation happening here with Amuari. He's Brazlian but because he played in Italy for 5 years and now he's got called upto there squad. Stupid really..

'nuum general
14th August '10, 03:19 PM
swear half the german team aint german

Sir Kippington
14th August '10, 03:40 PM
Deco is Brazillian also.
Didnt seem to hurt the French team much.
But truesay it helps if you were here from young

Grizzly
14th August '10, 04:00 PM

Eric Cantona is spot on.

RJKV
14th August '10, 06:42 PM
Klose and Podolski were both born in Poland. I checked this because i was told by a polish drunk in Brick Lane after a night out during the world cup, i knew about Podolski but the Klose one was news to me. That striker in the portugal squad for the world cup, some oldish guy, he was brazilian.

Gary_LFC
14th August '10, 08:06 PM
That striker in the portugal squad for the world cup, some oldish guy, he was brazilian.

Liedson????

Cacau who was in the Germany world cup squad is also Brazlian. As is Marcos Senna who played for Spain

nortside
14th August '10, 09:28 PM
swear half the german team aint german

a lot of them came over when they was young, which is fair enough, i hate this new be in a country for a 5 years and play for that nation

Mr. Jefferies
14th August '10, 10:15 PM
a lot of them came over when they was young, which is fair enough, i hate this new be in a country for a 5 years and play for that nation

Because without that, where do you draw the line?

Matt91
14th August '10, 10:28 PM
Don't see what the big deal is

Loads of nations do it just as long as we don't pick trash like Almunia.

Arteta is a sick player

Switch
15th August '10, 12:22 AM
Don't see what the big deal is

Loads of nations do it just as long as we don't pick trash like Almunia.

Arteta is a sick player.

No One Likes Frank
15th August '10, 12:59 AM
The day Artetea, or Almunia (someone else brought up recently in this argument, because he's lived here 7 years and his Mrs is English) or anyone along them lines plays for England, is the day the team loses any support from me and that stands for millions of people tbh

Sir Kippington
15th August '10, 01:49 AM
The day Artetea, or Almunia (someone else brought up recently in this argument, because he's lived here 7 years and his Mrs is English) or anyone along them lines plays for England, is the day the team loses any support from me and that stands for millions of people tbh

Understand this view, but why doesnt that view also extend to non-playing staff?
Cant have it both ways.
Before Hargreaves had a good world cup England fans used to hate him still, then when they clocked they had no one better, they were like... it's ok his dad is English.smh

No One Likes Frank
15th August '10, 11:43 AM
Kip believe it or nor lol I've always hated the concept of a foreign manager.

Sir Kippington
15th August '10, 11:50 AM
Kip believe it or nor lol I've always hated the concept of a foreign manager.

. Trust , it makes no sense. its supposed to be who has the best coaches , players etc. Its a hard one for me, I think the england manager should be english, but on the same hand (i was born here but grew up in Jamaica) i know Jamaica would have never got to France 98 if we didnt have a Brazilian coach.

No One Likes Frank
15th August '10, 12:07 PM
Exactly right about who has the best players etc. Thinking about English managers now, Bobby Robson>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Sir Kippington
15th August '10, 12:19 PM
Exactly right about who has the best players etc. Thinking about English managers now, Bobby Robson>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Euro 96 under venables was also good times.
Fat Gazza>>>>>most guys in the England squad

nortside
15th August '10, 12:20 PM
Because without that, where do you draw the line?

i say if you come as youngster and get educated in the country that's alright.