PDA

View Full Version : Benitez agrees to join Inter

BIGDON
9th June '10, 12:13 AM
Inter Milan have reached an agreement with Rafa Benitez to become their new manager, club president Massimo Moratti has revealed.

The Serie A giants have been looking for a replacement coach since Jose Mourinho opted to take on a fresh challenge at Spanish giants Real Madrid.

alks have now reached a conclusion and Moratti confirmed that Benitez has agreed to become Inter's new coach.

"We've got an agreement, we finalised the last details that in any case weren't important," he told the club's official website.

"Tomorrow (Wednesday) we will say when Rafa Benitez will be presented.

"All we need is a counter-signature. In any case I think Benitez is not in Italy and will arrive here for the presentation."

Benitez will arrive at Inter fresh from a six-year stint at Liverpool which saw him land the Champions League crown in 2005 and the 2006 FA Cup.

He also enjoyed considerable success in his homeland with Valencia prior to moving to Anfield, winning two Primera Liga titles and the Uefa Cup.

BIGLEE
9th June '10, 12:56 AM
kk

Hij
9th June '10, 01:02 AM
he wont beat mourinhos season but should canter to the league title

Butters Stotch
9th June '10, 09:19 AM
I hope he takes Mascherano with him for a silly price

Sir Kippington
9th June '10, 09:24 AM
Rafa was like

http://footy4life.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/rafa-benitez-22.jpg

then like

http://www.livesoccertv.com/images/articles/rafa-benitez.jpg

now he's like

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00465/Rafa_Benitez_465649a.jpg

Probably got a nice budget too

Eagle
9th June '10, 09:29 AM
seems like the yanks fucked up

should have waited for inter to make an approach and would have saved a few million quid

Sir Kippington
9th June '10, 09:37 AM

should have waited for inter to make an approach and would have saved a few million quid

Their impersonations as real businessman is laughable at best

BIGLEE
9th June '10, 10:20 AM
masch will go

'nuum general
9th June '10, 01:28 PM
inter will definately be laughing to the bank with the jose money then having their no. target become a free agent

Grimes
9th June '10, 01:34 PM
rafa is laughing as well.

6m in the bank and no1 team in football

should have waited for inter to make an approach and would have saved a
few million quid

moratti wouldn't of given his contract

Hij
9th June '10, 01:48 PM

Exactly lol

Grimes
9th June '10, 01:54 PM
waited for what exactly, its no coincidence that rafa benitez was signed up after he left liverpool and there was no approach before.

Eagle
9th June '10, 01:59 PM
benitez was the only choice for inter after capello committed to england.

the yanks moved too quickly, especially as it is unlikely a permanent manager will join liverpool until the club is sold

Grimes
9th June '10, 02:11 PM
Ok but looking at it financially instead of the gesutres... if capello's contract was a deterence (still 2012 but a removal of a clause) so would of been rafa's contract (contracted to 2014)

the opportunity to sign benitez only sprang up because of the mutual consented release.

benitez wasn't going no where without a payoff in otherwords hence why he didn't join juventus

'nuum general
9th June '10, 02:14 PM
they could have arranged it though where they let him go to inter for free without paying him off then inter pay him a big signing on fee

Hij
9th June '10, 02:17 PM
Ok but looking at it financially instead of the gesutres... if capello's contract was a deterence (still 2012 but just removal of a clause that was meant to be removed weeks before) so would of been rafa's contract (contracted to 2014)

the opportunity to sign benitez only sprang up because of the mutual consented release.

His position was made untenable the day before so he had to leave, but its clear he was not going to quit as he wanted to stay. 16m was unrealistic for the sacking , and leaving for free by quitting was also unrealistic, which is probably why they met somewhere in the middle. (Mutual consent)

The reason they met in the middle is IMO thanks to Purslow. All the media/fans/supporters/neutrals thought Benitez had gone the day before he went, making his position completely untenable which is bang out of order. Thats regardless of the performance in league last season and not the Liverpool way. But after that a article he either does indeed leave, or if he stays people are questioning the confidence of the board in him.

I imagine Purslow did this because Rafa wanted to stay and they couldn't afford the 16m, so I guess in a business sense he did the right thing.Force the manager to enter discussions for mutual consent, and drive that 16m right down. Infact he even leaked "3m" as the number offered to Rafa in order to get the fans to turn against him if it was long and drawn out and for nearer what he was entitled. Anyway its water under the bridge now but why wasn't there just one announcement, rather than more Theatre shit. I'm fed up of Purslow leaking stuff to the press.

Grimes
9th June '10, 02:24 PM
still doesn't make sense why they 'forced' out benitez?

that is the missing piece in this enigma

Hij
9th June '10, 02:26 PM
still doesn't make sense why they forced out benitez?

They don't like him, he fell out with Purslow and he will stand up to them if the conditions they give him are shit.

I believe Kenny would do that as well, but I can imagine some other more average managers just getting on with the job, at least with Rafa he was fighting to stop our club going down the pan.

In someways he had so much responsibility to the club it was an almost impossible job.

ghett0
9th June '10, 03:23 PM
I also believe that having Benitez there was hindering the sale of the club, as the contract he signed last year gave him full control over transfers, thus detering new owners who would want to create their own dream team, but if rafa said no they would be fucked.

Anyway what's done is done, good luck to Rafa wish him all the best because he got us a Champions League trophy and many hilarities from his press conferences in the latter stages of his Liverpool career

"Lets talkabuurrra fuxcts"

Sir Kippington
9th June '10, 03:53 PM
I also believe that having Benitez there was hindering the sale of the club, as the contract he signed last year gave him full control over transfers, thus detering new owners who would want to create their own dream team, but if rafa said no they would be fucked.

Anyway what's done is done, good luck to Rafa wish him all the best because he got us a Champions League trophy and many hilarities from his press conferences in the latter stages of his Liverpool career

"Lets talkabuurrra fuxcts"

"It is clear"

Hij
9th June '10, 04:03 PM
"It is clear"
He has the correct mentality so there are many possibilities no?

Sir Kippington
9th June '10, 05:29 PM
On the management

"I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp" (as Valencia manager)

On his players

"Talk to carra, if you can understand him you can understand anyone."

"When people talk to me about Gerrard and say he wants to win trophies, I say, 'me too'. I want to win trophies, I am not here to learn English, I am here for winning trophies."

"We are preparing a special weightlifting plan for Gerrard's shoulders because we want him to lift a lot of trophies for Liverpool in the next few years."

"Now my relationship with Steven is good – with my wife it is better!"

On Anfield and the fans

"This is Anfield, they say you'll never walk alone… it's true!"

Journalist: Do you think the neutrals will be behind Liverpool?
Rafa: If we have our own fans it will be enough.

On dealing with defeat

"I didn't lose a lot in Valencia, I don't plan on losing too many here either."

On his rival

(A day before the match against Chelsea…)
Journalist: Is Mourinho the best manager in the world?
Rafa: He's one of the best.
Journalist: But is he the best?
Rafa: He's one of the best.
Journalist: But he's not stopped winning.
Rafa: Until tomorrow.
Journalist: (speechless)

Other quality classics from the man with broken English…

Journalist: Are you wearing your lucky jacket?
Rafa: No, it's normal. I have confidence in my team, not my jacket!

Journalist: How bout Michael Owen then?
Rafa: We have good strikers. (grinning)
Journalist: OK, so can you clear this up once and for all then Rafa, Michael Owen… is he coming to Anfield?
Rafa: We have good strikers… (with that big smile)

Journalist: Where will the Liverpool goals come from?
Rafa: We have Crouch, Cisse, Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso… maybe Carra will score from a corner.
Journalist: So you're tipping Carra to score?
Rafa: Sure, why not? (with that beaming big smile)

LEG-END