PDA

View Full Version : The Big Question.

G-Rhyme
14th October '09, 09:52 PM
Who do you feel would partner Rooney best for the World Cup?

Joe_MK
14th October '09, 09:55 PM
defoe

G-Rhyme
14th October '09, 09:55 PM
Poll added.

'nuum general
14th October '09, 09:56 PM
defoe or crouch but I think it will be heskey

G-Rhyme
14th October '09, 09:59 PM
I think Heskey is the shittest player in the Squad, it depresses me everytime I see him play.

I'm finding it too hard to pick at the moment, gonna have to have a think and come back.

JACK
14th October '09, 10:36 PM
lol taking it for some important issue like say theres any more than 5-8th for you there, if all goes well

G-Rhyme
14th October '09, 10:44 PM
lol taking it for some important issue like say theres any more than 5-8th for you there, if all goes well

What the fuck you talking about? :stunned:

Flawless
14th October '09, 10:53 PM
Don't really matter .... coz any guy that u pick to play with him ... dere will be something missin from the partnership thus bein one of the reasons why england wont win the world cup ...

G-Rhyme
14th October '09, 10:56 PM
Don't really matter .... coz any guy that u pick to play with him ... dere will be something missin from the partnership thus bein one of the reasons why england wont win the world cup ...

Fuck off with your negative talk, you fucking wasteman.

Flawless
14th October '09, 11:14 PM
Fuck off with your negative talk, you fucking wasteman.

:laugh::laugh: .... why you so touchy??? ... u an england fan or sutten?? ... n it aint negative talk its da truth ... england havent got a top class partnership upfront .. alie??

RIP Jakey
14th October '09, 11:20 PM
I prefer a big man little man attack but Rooney will never be dropped.

G-Rhyme
14th October '09, 11:42 PM
I prefer a big man little man attack but Rooney will never be dropped.

I agree with the big man to partner Rooney. I think Crouch could do well, he is good at getting on the end of the ball and is a good finisher too, unlike Heskey.

Seems a shame to leave Defoe out though as he has been playing well this season.

Alfie
15th October '09, 12:00 AM
I've always found that Rooney plays better when he plays off the striker so yeah probably off defoe

The Messiah
15th October '09, 12:42 AM
I've always found that Rooney plays better when he plays off the striker so yeah probably off defoe

Defoe and Rooney as a partnership would not work.

RIP Jakey
15th October '09, 12:56 AM
I really rate Defoe, would like to see him and Heskey given a chance. I think it would really work, but then seems silly to leave Rooney out.

Alfie
15th October '09, 12:59 AM

Course it would
England don't play direct football anymore so it's more about quality than size
Rooney dropping off to make space for Defoe in the box

The Messiah
15th October '09, 01:20 AM
Course it would
England don't play direct football anymore so it's more about quality than size
Rooney dropping off to make space for Defoe in the box

England don't play direct football. :laugh:

Funniest thing I've heard in ages. England always resort to long ball when the going gets tough. Capello is doing his best to stamp it out and focus on ball retention, but you still see glimpses of it.

Defoe has thrived at international level as an impact sub. That is all. He cannot do the work that Berbatov or Heskey can do for Rooney in terms of holding up the ball and creating space. He should be in the squad most definitely, but if you are going to start Rooney then Defoe isn't an option. At the end of the day Capello knows this already.

Stellios
15th October '09, 04:17 PM
I know i'll probably get some stick..but its out of Heskey,Owen and Agbonlahor for me.

As The Messiah said, Defoe is more of an impact sub. I wouldnt give him a starting partnership. When Heskey partners Rooney, Emile's strength and sheilding gives not just Rooney but the midfield players time to get forward and then provide Rooney, who is no doubt the target man.

Pairing Rooney and Agbonlahor gives you two target men imo. Like Heskey, Rooney can also use his strength to give time to play in Gabby, who has the the pace to beat many a top class defender. Agbonlahor's weakness though is his lack of International goals thus far and his experience.

Owen and Rooney? Two small players? Well firstly, they play for the same club team, so already some understanding will be there. Rooney would again have to play in Owen, who we would hope still has pace. He has never lost his ability to be clinical and thats what England need in the World Cup.

I would love it to be Rooney/Owen but Rooney/Heskey works well imo.

Eagle
15th October '09, 04:30 PM
i'd go for crouch and rooney with defoe and cole on the bench

M.O.G.
15th October '09, 04:57 PM
i'd go for crouch and rooney with defoe and cole on the bench

Id agree with this, lil n large combo works best for me

daspecimen
15th October '09, 07:48 PM
it won't happen but id say bent

Jay05
15th October '09, 09:37 PM

C/S

Ronney and Owen never clicked so its hard to see how Rooney and Defoe would work.

Defoe drifts out of games but he will play a large role as a sub.

Crouch is flat track bully. He wil score v shit opponents but ultimately he will struggle v good teams. He lacks the movement or strength off an international striker.

When England start to panic and they always do Heskey is there to chase balls down and hold up play. With Gerrard and Lamps attacking from midfield you can afford to have a striker who is unlikely to score if he can bring other players into play.

Alfie
15th October '09, 11:19 PM
Lineker and Beardsley worked

The Messiah
15th October '09, 11:26 PM
Lineker and Beardsley worked

Different era. Different issues. Different game.

The Don
16th October '09, 12:05 AM
Capello's game seems reliant on a big man to bring the midfield in

personally i prefer to see C. Cole to put on an England shirt than Heskey

The Messiah
16th October '09, 12:23 AM

It makes sense when you have players like Gerrard and Lampard in the team. You've got to utilise the players you have in your team, even if it means you forgo something else. It's why Arsenal are playing 4-3-3 at the moment. It's at the expense of a solid defensive unit and Van Persie as he's not really built to spearhead an attack, but the goals they've scored, and the range of scorers this season speak for themselves.

At the end of the day it's all moot. England need a class goalkeeper, holding midfielder, winger and beast of a striker to step up to Spain, Holland and Brazil's level. Won't win the World Cup unless they get a route akin to what Germany got in 2002.

EDIT: Actually, what odds will I get for England not winning the WC? May as well make some easy money.

Eagle
16th October '09, 09:29 AM
EDIT: Actually, what odds will I get for England not winning the WC? May as well make some easy money.

i reckon they should be about 7/1 or 8/1

EDIT : I just took all the money in the market to lay off england at 7.6 which is basically 15/2....just waiting for some more mugs to pile in....may then trade out if we go up to 8.5 ish when the liks of germany and holland see their odds fall

as always, we'll get to the quarter finals then lose due to some "bad luck"

out of interest, have you read that book called "why england always lose." it's pretty interesting and the sort of book i think you'd be into based on the posts you make on here.

Eric Cantona
16th October '09, 09:48 AM
C/S

Ronney and Owen never clicked so its hard to see how Rooney and Defoe would work.

Defoe drifts out of games but he will play a large role as a sub.

Crouch is flat track bully. He wil score v shit opponents but ultimately he will struggle v good teams. He lacks the movement or strength off an international striker.

When England start to panic and they always do Heskey is there to chase balls down and hold up play. With Gerrard and Lamps attacking from midfield you can afford to have a striker who is unlikely to score if he can bring other players into play.

Rooney & Owen did well together for England

Tony Starks
16th October '09, 10:20 AM
The way I see it, its up to fergie to show capello Owen and Rooney can play together. And it dosent seem like Fergie trusts owen to deliver too tough imo

Eagle
16th October '09, 10:40 AM
fuck, italy are good value at 15/1

quality
16th October '09, 11:08 AM
Having watched the Ireland game at the weekend, Italy are swag. I wouldn't go near them. Except Buffon, there's not one world-class player in that team.

M.O.G.
16th October '09, 11:53 AM
fuck, italy are good value at 15/1

Italy are terrible man, did u watch the confederations cup? truss put ur money elsewhere

Having watched the Ireland game at the weekend, Italy are swag. I wouldn't go near them. Except Buffon, there's not one world-class player in that team.

Agreed, best player they have retired (totti)

Eagle
16th October '09, 12:04 PM
Italy are terrible man, did u watch the confederations cup? truss put ur money elsewhere

Agreed, best player they have retired (totti)

im convinced they will come good, especially as they always know how to grind out wins.

quality
16th October '09, 01:18 PM
Apparently Totti may come out of retirement for the World Cup. That said, Cassano would be their best bet IMO but Lippi doesn't want anything to do with him.

Hij
16th October '09, 01:21 PM
Thought the big question was something like "how do we solve global warming?", "can we get a cure for cancer?"

Or my personal favourite, how can we kill Wayne Rooney so no-one partners him at the world cup

M.O.G.
16th October '09, 01:31 PM
Thought the big question was something like "how do we solve global warming?", "can we get a cure for cancer?"

Or my personal favourite, how can we kill Wayne Rooney so no-one partners him at the world cup

Maybe we could get donkey to kick him in his ogre-like ankles, thus renderring him unavailable

Ro-Man Roader
16th October '09, 09:20 PM
Yeah Defoe, Crouch would be second choice

The Messiah
17th October '09, 01:42 AM
i reckon they should be about 7/1 or 8/1

EDIT : I just took all the money in the market to lay off england at 7.6 which is basically 15/2....just waiting for some more mugs to pile in....may then trade out if we go up to 8.5 ish when the liks of germany and holland see their odds fall

as always, we'll get to the quarter finals then lose due to some "bad luck"

out of interest, have you read that book called "why england always lose." it's pretty interesting and the sort of book i think you'd be into based on the posts you make on here.

There's no one reason tbh. It's all a mish-mash of various factors: the way training academies focus on build and speed ahead of technique, English players unwilling to ply thier trade abroad and so learn about other styles/cultures etc. English managers acting the same, the inability to properly utilise a formation other than 4-4-2 and so on...

7/1 to not win? Seriously? Name the bookie, I'll put 100 down tomorrow.

No love for Pirlo?

Alter E-ghost
18th October '09, 01:50 AM

personally i prefer to see C. Cole to put on an England shirt than Heskey

MC-alex:rixon
19th October '09, 08:50 PM
fcing agbonlahor :)

quality
19th October '09, 10:45 PM
Pirlo back in the day definately, but now I think he's just irrelevant. Quality passer, but he doesn't have the legs if he's pressed. No team in their right mind will give him the space to spray passes around.

I do think he's better when he plays further up the field, if Totti doesn't come back I'd play him behind the strikers and let someone else do the donkey work.

Mr. Jefferies
26th October '09, 06:08 AM
i picked crouch purely for the fact whenever he plays he scores. hes an outstanding footballer, just doesnt get the credit he deserves because of his height. if he was as short as owen hed be regarded as one of the best strikers in the premier league.

Unknown Poster
26th October '09, 06:12 AM
darren bent should be given a try under capello i think he is a badman striker

Mr. Jefferies
26th October '09, 06:18 AM
yeah good point actually

defoe is a bit of a gamble, can have days where he just doesnt seem to get into the game at all

Unknown Poster
26th October '09, 06:21 AM
i would take

rooney bent crouch, heskey or carlton cole (whatever 1 is playin better) and defoe

Mr. Jefferies
26th October '09, 06:26 AM
id take crouch, owen, bent and heskey

rooney i dont class as a striker, hes a free role player, id stick him on the pitch and say do what you like wayne

Unknown Poster
26th October '09, 06:30 AM
id take crouch, owen, bent and heskey

rooney i dont class as a striker, hes a free role player, id stick him on the pitch and say do what you like wayne

when he is like that though he is always a risk of gettin booked, and 2 bookings in the wc and you miss a game, capello will tell him to stay forward as much as possible