PDA

View Full Version : Wenger admits Brede interest

Genetically Genuine
6th August '09, 09:23 PM
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has revealed he is interested in Fulham defender Brede Hangeland.

Hangeland enjoyed a superb season with Fulham last term helping them qualify for Europe and his performances have not gone unnoticed by a host of sides.

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson has admitted he is facing a fight to keep hold of the Norwegian with Arsenal strongly linked with a move for the giant stopper.

Wenger admits he is the market for a new defender after seeing Kolo Toure leave for Manchester City and Philippe Senderos expected to move to Everton.

The Gunners boss has conceded he is tracking Hangeland, but insists no bid has been lodged to Fulham.

"We had a look at him, but we have not contacted Fulham, have not contacted Hangeland and have not made our choice on him or anybody else," noted Wenger.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5477073,00.html

NaiJaBoY
6th August '09, 09:57 PM
However when asked about the much-rumoured re-signing of his former captain, Wenger replied: "Not at the moment, no.”

He went on: "We can still make do with one or two players more.

"One could be in the defensive areas, and one in the attacking areas.

"We make a few enquires for players, but we are nowhere near to signing anybody at the moment.

"Usually the transfer market only speeds up from August 26 up to midnight on August 31 – and especially in the last two hours."

DM?

daspecimen
7th August '09, 09:40 AM
i think ideally he's looking for someone who can do both, hence looking at Fazio.

doubt he'd go with hangeeland, especially with him being cup tied for europe but its a possibility.

Hij
7th August '09, 09:46 AM
Arsenal fans that told me I was stupid for talking about your centre back department, hello.

daspecimen
7th August '09, 09:58 AM
stupid isn't the right word. I think any team can strengthen any area at any given time. There's always someone out there that offers something different. I think the issue is the numbers that we have. Before Toure left we had 7 players in the first team squad who could play CB..... really you're looking at 4 and a versatile player for the length of a season imo.

then we've got some youngsters coming through, like nordveit, who is on loan in germany, and bartley/hoyte etc who will no doubt be given an oppurtunity in the carling cup to make thier statement for the first team.

Its a numbers and a quality issue. We have more centre halves, or potential, than chelsea and man u, but in terms of the overall skills mix of those players we clearly aren't on par in those areas at the moment.

i didn't think he'd look at cb as an area to strengthen, but if we lose toure and senderos its certainly an option, but the most likely would be to look at someone who can play the dual role of cb and dm.

Hij
7th August '09, 10:11 AM
Hangeland offers height and strength.

You won't have that really. He will help you immensley with set pieces

daspecimen
7th August '09, 10:24 AM
he does but is he quick as well? ive not seen enough of him to know. vermaeelen doesn't seem like the fastest, so a first choice centre half pairing of those two, whilst it offers you good cover dealing with aerial threats does leave you a little weak on the ground to pacy attacks. so again, it's about getting the balance.

That said, one or two players won't make a huge difference to the defensive stability of our game. We need to learn to defend better as a team, not always try and play our way out of trouble and get caught dwelling on the ball in our own half. *cough* diaby *cough*

Scrappy123
7th August '09, 02:07 PM
He is more than good enough for Arsenal, to be honest. Hopefully he stays though

Bish
7th August '09, 03:30 PM
go on Wenger, him and a DM and we will be title challangers

Mr_C!!
7th August '09, 05:33 PM
hurry up and buy him

doubt he'd go with hangeeland, especially with him being cup tied for europe but its a possibility.

he'll only be cup tied untill January

Tony Starks
7th August '09, 05:59 PM
Alright Arsenal fans how much u reckon we should shell out for this guy.

I'd say his price is probly 9-13m but I'd be prepared to go as high as 15-16

Genetically Genuine
7th August '09, 06:10 PM
Arsenal fans that told me I was stupid for talking about your centre back department, hello.

I would never have said that because regardless of us having quite a few CB's most of them are not of the quality we need therefore I'm excited by this news.

I'd be prepared to shell out 15 max because in the long run it will help us greatly.

Scrappy123
7th August '09, 08:36 PM
Alright Arsenal fans how much u reckon we should shell out for this guy.

I'd say his price is probly 9-13m but I'd be prepared to go as high as 15-16

anything above 10m and it most likely will be accepted.

Mazer Rackham
7th August '09, 08:45 PM
we're holding out for 14 mill aparently, if wenger pays that for a 28 year old then its a par for him.
we'll do judt fine without him, same as all the other times the vultures have come calling for us

Tony Starks
7th August '09, 09:02 PM
we'll do judt fine without him, same as all the other times the vultures have come calling for us
Lol @ pretending Fulham produces top class talent.

Top of my head I can only think of Saha thats moved from you lot to a top 6 club

Mazer Rackham
7th August '09, 09:43 PM
Lol @ pretending Fulham produces top class talent.

Top of my head I can only think of Saha thats moved from you lot to a top 6 club

*cough* van de sar, finnan, steeeeeeeeeeeeed, sean davis, alan mullery (ask someone older), *cough*

so yeah shutup.

theres more, just need to remember who they are

2 of those guys are champions league winners. what you saying now? lol

Genetically Genuine
7th August '09, 09:55 PM
*cough* van de sar, finnan, steeeeeeeeeeeeed, sean davis, alan mullery (ask someone older), *cough*

so yeah shutup.

theres more, just need to remember who they are

2 of those guys are champions league winners. what you saying now? lol

Van Der Sar was hardly produced by you was he the same goes for malbranque... Sean Davis never went to a top 6 club as well lol

Mazer Rackham
7th August '09, 10:08 PM
Van Der Sar was hardly produced by you was he the same goes for malbranque... Sean Davis never went to a top 6 club as well lol

you mug we had steed for the best years of his career, he was with us longer than he has been at any other club. tigana moulded him.

fact is, all those players came to us, which means they werernt wanted by top 6 clubs when we got them, cos we're usually about midtable , b4 our last season

then they perform well and bigger clubs come calling.

fair enough about vds . & sean davis, spurs are shit.

I LOVE GRIME
7th August '09, 10:49 PM
arsenal need 4 signing imo a cb, dm, am rlc and a serious striker other than arshavin i dnt rate the arsenal squad i support man utd but with all the player departures that have happend at the top 4 teams i think chelsea will win the league

daspecimen
8th August '09, 09:15 AM
hurry up and buy him

he'll only be cup tied untill January

i realise that, but ideally you'd want to be able to use your first choice centre back pairing as often as possible. if you're changing the pairing every 3 days its difficult for the players to forge that understanding.