PDA

View Full Version : Fab named new captin of Arsenal.

Selecta Limit
24th November '08, 03:17 PM
Cesc Fabregas has been named as the new Arsenal captain but Arsene Wenger has confirmed that William Gallas will return to the starting line-up for the Champions League tie at home to Dynamo Kiev tomorrow.

Definatly has all the attributes for a captin. Im well happy Gallas doesn't have that role anymore lool.

What do you lot think?

Eagle
24th November '08, 03:21 PM
same story as when henry was made captian. wenger flatters the ego of his superstar player as he wants him to stay. its nothing to do with fabregas' leadership and motivational skills its all about persauding him not to leave in the summer if you finish trophyless again

Jammie Dodger
24th November '08, 03:28 PM
Finally, Gallas can get off his high horse, and just be that boring mediocre Centre back that he is.

Fabreags is the only one I would have picked. Or Clichy

Xtra P
24th November '08, 03:42 PM
same story as when henry was made captian. wenger flatters the ego of his superstar player as he wants him to stay. its nothing to do with fabregas' leadership and motivational skills its all about persauding him not to leave in the summer if you finish trophyless again

It won't make a difference, if Fab wants to go in the summer, he will go captain or not.

Definetly a good move by Wenger.. I mean, he can't possibly be worst than Gallas!

Eric Cantona
24th November '08, 03:48 PM
Should of give it Toure with Fab like a vice captain imo, think Toure is the only player who still at Arsenal from when they did that 49 unbeaten run

Ryddel
24th November '08, 04:25 PM
Tbh Fab is quite vocal, would of thought Toure would of been prime candidate but i would've liked to have sene it given to Clichy as he is the only Arsenal player I generally like his attitude etc (n/h), i think he could become a future captain if he was more vocal as well.

quality
24th November '08, 04:44 PM
I don't think Fabregas is a captain. But then I can't think of anyone in this current Arsenal team who really leads by example. Apparently Kolo Toure is one of the quieter members of the squad.

JACK
24th November '08, 04:48 PM
Should of give it Toure with Fab like a vice captain imo, think Toure is the only player who still at Arsenal from when they did that 49 unbeaten run

but hes like, worse than silvestre/comparable to djourou now. man like this would have to start every week? god forbid

and he cant really play with gallas, who is lets face it our best cb, obviously a cunt, obviously among other averageish players, but still the best one.....thats the par.

gd decision still, lmfao already hearing arsenals shit run is finished because of that tho

Hij
24th November '08, 04:52 PM
Don't think its really a good decision. Its just a decision to keep him at the club surely.

Although Fabregas has made steps forward recently and I guess its worth giving him a go, as hes come so far in so little time.

Ryddel
24th November '08, 05:11 PM
I don't understand the hatred on this forum from certain guys (Cookie) about Toure i'm sure he was your captain during the 04-05 season? Although there aren't really any standout leaders at Arsenal though so it's hard to pick a player suited for being a captain

Xtra P
24th November '08, 05:13 PM
Making someone a captain doesn't mean they will stay at the club, if Cesc wants to leave in the summer he will leave so thats air.

He's a natural leader in terms of leading by example, ive lost count of how many times Fabragas has completely controlled a game from the middle of the park & hopefully this will kick him into some form as he's been under par so far this season

Sir Kippington
24th November '08, 05:57 PM

Spot on.

'nuum general
24th November '08, 06:31 PM
i'd have gone with toure

Xtra P
24th November '08, 06:37 PM
You can't make someone a captain simply because thay have been at the club the longest, for all we know Toure could be quiet as a mouse, he might not be captain material, Fabragas shows leadership on the pitch & thats why he was chosen

Pristine Condition
24th November '08, 07:00 PM

*reps*

Don't think its really a good decision. Its just a decision to keep him at the club surely.

Although Fabregas has made steps forward recently and I guess its worth giving him a go, as hes come so far in so little time.

You can't make someone a captain simply because thay have been at the club the longest, for all we know Toure could be quiet as a mouse, he might not be captain material, Fabragas shows leadership on the pitch & thats why he was chosen

But they know what is like of winning things and been around to know what the club expects from them. Fab hasn't. It's a bad choice imo.

Xtra P
24th November '08, 07:12 PM
*reps*

But they know what is like of winning things and been around to know what the club expects from them. Fab hasn't. It's a bad choice imo.

That means nothing, its all about the personality of the player, thats the most important thing, he shows leadership by example & thats what Arsenal need right now, time will tell if its a good choice or not, I personally think its a great decision.

JACK
24th November '08, 08:22 PM
I don't understand the hatred on this forum from certain guys (Cookie) about Toure i'm sure he was your captain during the 04-05 season? Although there aren't really any standout leaders at Arsenal though so it's hard to pick a player suited for being a captain

long way from 04-05 to now. actually his last season is long gone compared to now imo.

might be just me but the way he lacks pace and composure is actually funny. he also doesnt shoot like he used to, doesnt do his run-shove the striker-get the ball like its nuffin ting, aint this quick aswell. basically he comes like he got at least 5 years older over the summer.

went over the top with worse than silvestre tho

[/hatred for toure]

Xtra P
24th November '08, 08:39 PM
To much enthisis is being placed on the captaincy, a proffesional footballer should be able to motivate himself, Arsenals problems run deeper than who is the captain its another hyped up smoke screen by the media tryin to sell papers of the back of Arsenals bad form

Pristine Condition
24th November '08, 08:59 PM
That means nothing, its all about the personality of the player, thats the most important thing, he shows leadership by example & thats what Arsenal need right now, time will tell if its a good choice or not, I personally think its a great decision.

If Arsenal had that, this whole debate will not be happening.....

Grimes
24th November '08, 09:00 PM
meh arsenal seriously need to destroy and rebuild. I don't think Fabregas is all that personally

Alfie
24th November '08, 09:05 PM
Good, He learnt about what it means to be a Arsenal player from the likes of: Viera, Pires, Henry and Keown

Xtra P
24th November '08, 09:37 PM
If Arsenal had that, this whole debate will not be happening.....

It a none debate imo, our problem runs deeper that who is the captain, don't get caught up in the hype

Xtra P
24th November '08, 09:39 PM
meh arsenal seriously need to destroy and rebuild. I don't think Fabregas is all that personally

When he's on form he's sick, anyone can see, your sayin a next ting now

Pristine Condition
25th November '08, 01:33 AM
It a none debate imo, our problem runs deeper that who is the captain, don't get caught up in the hype

When Viera and even Adams was captain, the shit what is happening now, wasn't happening back then.

You've no leaders in your team. PERIOD. There is no way around it. I respect your desire for your team, but face the facts.

There is no hype about it, lets see how a 21 year old deals with a being the main person of a "big" club. Man like Fabregas can't even get into the Spain team (when everyone is fit) ....

Arsene is shook of losing Fabregas, he gave the armband to Henry after he let Viera go.

... and what the f has Fabregas done this season to warrant becoming captain ...?!!!???

Anonymous
25th November '08, 01:44 AM
When Viera and even Adams was captain, the shit what is happening now, wasn't happening back then.

You've no leaders in your team. PERIOD. There is no way around it. I respect your desire for your team, but face the facts.

There is no hype about it, lets see how a 21 year old deals with a being the main person of a "big" club. Man like Fabregas can't even get into the Spain team (when everyone is fit) ....

Arsene is shook of losing Fabregas, he gave the armband to Henry after he let Viera go.

... and what the f has Fabregas done this season to warrant becoming captain ...?!!!???

You're lost.

Xtra P
25th November '08, 01:46 AM

We had a better team in general back then it had NOTHING to do with captains, your missing the point completely & its not about what Fabregas has done this season you have to look at whats he's done & the progress he has made in a short space of time.

Fam what are you talking about he doesn't get into the spain team, he was immense in the euro's your chattin pure breeze now cuz you need to stop, some blind united fan smh

Xtra P
25th November '08, 01:52 AM
You're lost.

Very lost indeed, talk about missing the whole point completely smh

nortside
25th November '08, 05:32 AM
To much enthisis is being placed on the captaincy, a proffesional footballer should be able to motivate himself, Arsenals problems run deeper than who is the captain its another hyped up smoke screen by the media tryin to sell papers of the back of Arsenals bad form

exactly, whos the real captain at say liverpool looks like carragher does all the shouting and balling, gerrard only switches on certain man like kuyt/benayoun easy targets carragher switches on anyone but gerrard wears the armband,

people overhype the captains role too much, either way cesc is the most liked in the squad going from what the players say he is also the one who organizes social gatherings as well plus he is our key player so it makes sense

Grimes
25th November '08, 09:59 AM
nortside please be quiet.

Theres many type of captains; Experience, Charismatic, Example etc. Fabregas seems to be none of these for me. Might as well gave the captaincy to Samir Nasri.

Xtra P
25th November '08, 10:49 AM
Grime's you obviously don't watch Fabragas too often, he doesn't ave it from no one, take that notourious chelski game for instance, he man handled lampard & swung him to the floor, he's no shrinking violet, anyway lets judge him at the end of the season.

I rate Gerrard highly but the last word I would use to describe him would be Charismatic, the guys a robot, he does all his talkin on the pitch just like Fabragas.

Eagle
25th November '08, 11:45 AM
We had a better team in general back then it had NOTHING to do with captains, your missing the point completely & its not about what Fabregas has done this season you have to look at whats he's done & the progress he has made in a short space of time.

Fam what are you talking about he doesn't get into the spain team, he was immense in the euro's your chattin pure breeze now cuz you need to stop, some blind united fan smh

he doesnt get into the spain team. Xavi, iniesta, silva and senna are all picked before him in a four man midfield

Xtra P
25th November '08, 11:54 AM
he doesnt get into the spain team. Xavi, iniesta, silva and senna are all picked before him in a four man midfield

AragonÚs has some kind of point to prove, its like he's tryin to keep Fabragas humble by not starting him, he was one of spains best midfielder in the euro's along side Xavi even though he didn't get as much time on the pitch, he was named in the team of the tournament

Grimes
25th November '08, 12:05 PM
Grime's you obviously don't watch Fabragas too often, he doesn't ave it from no one, take that notourious chelski game for instance, he man handled lampard & swung him to the floor, he's no shrinking violet, anyway lets judge him at the end of the season.

I rate Gerrard highly but the last word I would use to describe him would be Charismatic, they guys a robot, he does all his talkin on the pitch just like Fabragas.

i watch Fabregas quite a lot actually.

Grimes
25th November '08, 12:06 PM
Give him a couple years.

Xtra P
25th November '08, 12:59 PM
i watch Fabregas quite a lot actually.

Then you would agree that he is a class act, remember the goal he scored against Liverpool at anfield last season :evilgrin:

Tony Starks
25th November '08, 01:24 PM
last season fabregas controlled a ridiculous amount of games for arsenal from start to finish and staked his claim as one of the best centre midfielders.
Senna or xavi being picked over him is ridiculous imo like xtra p said arsagones motives are not entirely footballing.
Fab was brought on AND made a differnce in virtually all the games.

Xtra P
25th November '08, 01:26 PM
last season fabregas controlled a ridiculous amount of games for arsenal from start to finish and staked his claim as one of the best centre midfielders.
Senna or xavi being picked over him is ridiculous imo like xtra p said arsagones motives are not entirely footballing.
Fab was brought on AND made a differnce in virtually all the games.

Nizail!!!!

Anyone with sense would agree with this statement

Eagle
25th November '08, 01:57 PM
i think you are wrong. xavi is a better box to box player, with better passing abilities. Senna is a better defensive player. On paper Xavi and Fabregas would probably be the first choice pair, but then as we know from england, putting the two best centre mids in the team doesnt always work

Grimes
25th November '08, 02:09 PM
Xavi is better than Fabregas. obviously as he is older he has slightly developed his game.

Senna is probably the best at what he does bar Masch

Grimes
25th November '08, 02:10 PM
Anyway only time will tell, prehaps this will get Fabregas back to the form of the last season or so

Xtra P
25th November '08, 02:23 PM
You man read something then your brains interpret it as something completely different, I never once said that Fabragas was better than Xavi, I said he was one of spains best midfielders along side Xavi!

Personally I wouldn't swap him for Xavi & Cesc is clearly the better passer & more tactically awear, he sees a pass before he has the ball, Xavi is the more mobile player

Sir Kippington
25th November '08, 03:46 PM
Good on Cesc..you lot better get behind him (no homo)
you gooners are notorious for undersupport...
The Emarites come like some graveyard sometimes..
Trust home crowd does alot. look how Chelski piss themselves whenever they touch anfield

Sir Kippington
25th November '08, 03:50 PM

I rate Gerrard highly but the last word I would use to describe him would be Charismatic, the guys a robot, he does all his talkin on the pitch just like Fabragas.

Dun know..
Talismatic

Xtra P
25th November '08, 04:51 PM
Dun know..
Talismatic

I would describe Fabragas in the same way

quality
25th November '08, 04:58 PM
Xavi is probably the best passer of the ball in Europe.

Fabregas is a good player, will probably be a great player, but the reason he was a sub is that Xavi is better than him, then Alonso and Senna gave a midfield balance and strength. Arsenal have shown what happens without a balanced midfield.

Anyone questioning Aregones' motives, just remember he won the tournament. Sort of the opposite to the blind faith in Wenger while winning fuck all. Football is about playing the best team, not the prettiest players on the eye. Look at the work Keita does for Barcelona at the moment, or Macherano does for Liverpool etc.

Xtra P
25th November '08, 05:01 PM
Xavi is probably the best passer of the ball in Europe.

Fabregas is a good player, will probably be a great player, but the reason he was a sub is that Xavi is better than him, then Alonso and Senna gave a midfield balance and strength. Arsenal have shown what happens without a balanced midfield.

Anyone questioning Aregones' motives, just remember he won the tournament. Sort of the opposite to the blind faith in Wenger while winning fuck all. Football is about playing the best team, not the prettiest players on the eye. Look at the work Keita does for Barcelona at the moment, or Macherano does for Liverpool etc.

Fabragas was instrumental in spain winning the tournament, you should proberly go back & watch their matches, he came on & changed the game on a number of occasions

quality
25th November '08, 05:09 PM
Fabragas was instrumental in spain winning the tournament, you should proberly go back & watch their matches, he came on & changed the game on a number of occasions

I'm not saying he wasn't. But surely his impact as a sub just proves Aragones' tactics were correct?

Xtra P
25th November '08, 05:18 PM
I'm not saying he wasn't. But surely his impact as a sub just proves Aragones' tactics were correct?

Well he won, so his tactics were spot on but he admitted that he was benching Cesc to keep him grounded

Xtra P
25th November '08, 10:36 PM
Good captaining by Fabragas tonight, lead us to our first victory since the united game, it was all in the captaining :laugh:

nortside
26th November '08, 02:41 AM
nortside please be quiet.

Theres many type of captains; Experience, Charismatic, Example etc. Fabregas seems to be none of these for me. Might as well gave the captaincy to Samir Nasri.

this is the 1 downside to the internet, you can hav a good debate then some FOOL decides to get cheeky for no reason cos being behind a pc its easy to be a hardman

if you think cesc ain't charismatic then you probably don't watch arsenal a lot,
not to mention people hype about his age but man has played over 250 Games for us which is pretty decent on the experience level, im sure gerrard was made captain at around22/23 but like cesc had been playing for a good few years already,

Jay05
26th November '08, 03:05 AM
Well he won, so his tactics were spot on but he admitted that he was benching Cesc to keep him grounded

Also he was able to bring on Fab at the end of the game when it was far more stretched and fab would make a massive difference.

Pristine Condition
26th November '08, 11:18 AM
You're lost.

Explain ..?

How can you say it had nothing to do about captains, come off it. smh.

Ok maybe the comment about this season was air. I can accept that.

... and he really doesn't get into the Spain team.

Every player is the same like Rooney for example. Man is bare shy off the pitch.

Nail!!!

Source where he said he's keeping him grounded, then I'll back off.

Also he was able to bring on Fab at the end of the game when it was far more stretched and fab would make a massive difference.

Hmm, comment seems abit fishy tbh

Xtra P
26th November '08, 11:44 AM
Explain ..?

How can you say it had nothing to do about captains, come off it. smh.

Ok maybe the comment about this season was air. I can accept that.

... and he really doesn't get into the Spain team.

Every player is the same like Rooney for example. Man is bare shy off the pitch.

Nail!!!

Source where he said he's keeping him grounded, then I'll back off.

Hmm, comment seems abit fishy tbh

You obviosly didn't watch the euro's & the hype building up to it or else you would have caught all these things.

Your a blind united fan so your opinion's on Fabragas are questionable at best

Sir Kippington
26th November '08, 12:11 PM
Bear pars flying round in here. lol

Pristine Condition
26th November '08, 12:18 PM
You obviosly didn't watch the euro's & the hype building up to it or else you would have caught all these things.

Your a blind united fan so your opinion's on Fabragas are questionable at best

Actually, I didn't watch the full games as I was actually in Jamaica. But I did catch the highlights. Looking @ the team sheets told me alot though.

:laugh: @ blind.

Xtra P
26th November '08, 12:40 PM
Actually, I didn't watch the full games as I was actually in Jamaica. But I did catch the highlights. Looking @ the team sheets told me alot though.

:laugh: @ blind.

If you actually payed attention to any of spains matches you would know that although Fabragas was on the bench, everytime he came on he completely changed the game, that was Aragones's tactics & it worked out nicely.

By saying that Cesc doesn't get into spains first team, what are you trying to prove?

quality
26th November '08, 01:08 PM
Let's be honest, he wasn't just keeping him on the bench to keep him grounded. He's not just going to come out and say "Xavi's better"