PDA

View Full Version : Rafael Benitez's New Contract

Hij
7th November '08, 06:31 PM
Interesting little one this. I can't believe he has so little time to run on his deal. As a fan who has backed him since he came in, I'm also in a way pleased for him that we are doing so well as he always comes across to me as a humble guy.

Apparently no length of contract has been decided on as yet. I'm interested to hear what the forum think on...

a) How long his new deal will be? 1 Year? 2? 3? 5?
b) How long you would give him?

I think that his contract will be only 2 years at most, as our owners do tend to disappoint.

Personally, he was given a 5 year contract to turn us into challengers. Our squad looks so much improved every year, so I definately want him to stay for longer. I'd give him a 4 year contract.

In this day and age of manager swapping, I think its great we've found our Wenger, or Ferguson. We've had long term managers in the past and I think its excellent we have one now, its truly the way to big success (unless you have a Russian Billionaire).

Grimes
7th November '08, 06:32 PM
2 years is good

Hij
7th November '08, 06:33 PM
2 years is good
Are you MAD?

Shows no confidence in the manager. Like when Tom Hicks suggested a 'one year extension'.

The Messiah
7th November '08, 06:38 PM
4 year contract is what Liverpool should give him. I reckon they'll give 3 though. Enough time for Rafa to deliver trophies, but short enough for a replacement to be sorted out and placed if Rafa doesn't deliver.

Hij
7th November '08, 06:41 PM
Yeah I reckon he'll get a 3. Would be delighted if they gave him 4 though.

Eric Cantona
7th November '08, 06:47 PM
Benitez will be gone in a year

Hij
7th November '08, 06:49 PM
Benitez will be gone in a year
You fishing Alex?

Grimes
7th November '08, 06:50 PM
he's done very well. transformed particularly our midfield in the last two years. hasn't really solved the fullback problem.

The Messiah
7th November '08, 06:52 PM
he's done very well. transformed particularly our midfield in the last two years. hasn't really solved the fullback problem.

He won't, the full back situation is the way he wants it to be.

Hij
7th November '08, 06:55 PM
He won't, the full back situation is the way he wants it to be.

????

Dossenna and Arbeloa are getting forward.

Its not quite Evra/Clichy or Sagna but its on its way.

Grimes
7th November '08, 06:56 PM
if liverpool aren't in league contention by march. then boy i dn't know what to say

Hij
7th November '08, 07:00 PM
if liverpool aren't in league contention by march. then boy i dn't know what to sayI don't see why we won't be.

6 must win games coming up.

If we really want to show we're contenders I'd say 6 wins and a draw against Arsenal, before going onto a few more wins.

Need to fucking learn to get the second goal in games like Tottenham.

Grimes
7th November '08, 07:02 PM
before it was easy. when torres/gerrard was on form and babel and benayoun would come and add insult to injury. Liverpool need torres back badly

Gerrard had to put his intregrity on the line to save us against athletico and we barely beat portsmouth

Nine Bar
7th November '08, 07:03 PM
I think there gonna wait till the end of season and see where you finish.
If its not 1st or 2nd and no trophies are won i doubt he'll get the 4/5 years. Id say they would then give him a 2 year contract, and give him one more season to win the league/champs league or get very close.

If he does win a trophie and/or close the gap on United and Chelsea, id still say they'd give him only 3/4 max. I dunno i just dont trust the board with the amount of bullshit whats gone on, wether there still staying long term or whatever, I still dont think that saga's over. Thats just me though.

The Messiah
7th November '08, 07:03 PM
????

Dossenna and Arbeloa are getting forward.

Its not quite Evra/Clichy or Sagna but its on its way.

They are going forward, but Benitez will never want them going as forward as Clichy/Evra/Sagna/Boswinga etc.

Grimes
7th November '08, 07:05 PM
[no race thread]

Hij
7th November '08, 07:05 PM
before it was easy. when torres/gerrard was on form and babel and benayoun would come and add insult to injury. Liverpool need torres back badly

Gerrard had to put his intregrity on the line to save us against athletico and we barely beat portsmouth

Huh? We battered the door down in the second half before eventually getting the (blatant) penalty.

Or did you not actually watch the match? :D

Hij
7th November '08, 07:06 PM
They are going forward, but Benitez will never want them going as forward as Clichy/Evra/Sagna/Boswinga etc.
Dossenna has hit the byline bare?

Grimes
7th November '08, 07:07 PM
no cutting edge

Ryddel
7th November '08, 07:29 PM
Reckon he'll get a 2

Hij
7th November '08, 07:30 PM
no cutting edge
Agree, but hes getting forward, that was the point :)

The Messiah
7th November '08, 07:40 PM
Agree, but hes getting forward, that was the point :)

No point in getting forward if you don't help much.

Eric Cantona
7th November '08, 08:13 PM
You actually rate Arboloa & Dossena?

Both players are dog shite imo

'nuum general
7th November '08, 08:44 PM
In this climate i doubt they'll want to commit the money to a five year deal.

How far do you think he's off the team he wants?

Hij
7th November '08, 08:58 PM

No you dickhead. Well no actually Arbeloa is fucking awesome, kept Messi in his pocket when we dumped them out of the European Cup in 2006, but his form can dip from time to time. He's played excellent recently. Don't see Cuntface or Brown doing much better at the moment so who are you to talk? Evra although is a class apart.

Im saying they get forward much more than the previous players in those positions, irrespective of their qualities. Riise and Finnan for their defensive attributes, were not the best attacking (Riise used to be good but the last 3 years he was woeful).

Webstarr, I'd say hes getting pretty close. I think if he got Barry, the team he wanted would have been near completed, but the deal has helped Alonso up his game which is a massive benefit. I can understand why he wanted Barry though as Barry is so versatile.

The fact that he's proud his daughters speak scouse and he wants to be here for a long time is pleasing for me as a fan when he could just as easily take the Real Madrid job, which I think he will take when hes finished his mission here. It's nice to look back through the history of our managers and see very few names because people come in and are allowed to do their job, as Wenger and Ferguson have done at their respective clubs.

Its clear he wants to make a team a dominant force and leaving Liverpool now, before he reaches the success he wants (its not clear whether or not Liverpool will be a force again, but the signs are there that they well could) won't happen. It's like building a house and leaving as its finishing, which he did with Valencia due to the board buying players he didn't want (much like Keegan left Newcastle for)- taking the league title off Barcelona and Real Madrid twice is no fluke.

While our board are difficult here and nearly sacked him this time last year, I do think he gets an element of control he wants and thats great news. Obviously I wouldn't be so pleased if we were 8th in the league and he wanted to stay, but saying that, as far as Im concerned, we've improved the squad every season and look stronger than ever before, I want him to stay so that can continue.

Besides that I think hes a top bloke. Liverpool supports have voiceferously backed him and he appreciates that as well as comments he has made to the press indicate as such. Ignoring interpersonal scraps with other managers (where all managers appear cunts) he comes across as a very humble guy, with good wit about him and I'm proud to have him at the helm unlike other joke managers.

Which other top european manager joined the fans in the pub on an Away European match? :D

Selecta Limit
7th November '08, 10:11 PM
reckon he would get 2, definatly a good manager.

Eric Cantona
7th November '08, 10:14 PM
Hij you shat too much shit, sorry didn't even read your essey there because i know the truth

Pristine Condition
7th November '08, 11:28 PM

Truth tbh.

I'd rather have "Cuntface and Brown" then these two.

Rafa is good manager tho. His magic has taking his time to be seen in the League. But it seems to working now.