PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Footballer Of Recent Times

Anonymous
6th September '08, 03:25 PM
Who do you think has been the greatest footballer of the past decade?
I would have to say Zidane or Ronaldo (Brazilian one).

phikz
6th September '08, 03:29 PM
Paul scholes :)

Jay
6th September '08, 04:36 PM
Zidane for me.

grafta
6th September '08, 05:16 PM
Zidane

Eric Cantona
6th September '08, 05:22 PM
Greatest Footballers ever....

1. Pele
2. Maradona
3. Zidane

So my answer is Zidane, absolute class!

The Messiah
6th September '08, 07:22 PM
Toss between Ronaldo and Zidane.

I'm leaning a bit towards Ronaldo. Can't be bothered to give an essay as to why.

Famous?
6th September '08, 08:04 PM
Zidane, Bergkamp, Ronaldo

Mister Lacey
6th September '08, 09:27 PM
Ronaldo
Zidane
Henry

Royal-T
6th September '08, 09:41 PM
Robbie Savage...

Na probably Zidane or Ronny.

Grimes
6th September '08, 09:47 PM
Zidane

BG1
6th September '08, 10:08 PM
Frank Sinclair
http://www.htafc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/f8/2c/0,,10312~3353848,00.jpg

Sinko
7th September '08, 01:24 AM
ronaldos scoring record is nuts!

http://i38.tinypic.com/4tozo8.jpg

plus considering he's been carrying bad injuries and was a fat bastard for a lot of that time he's probably the best out and out striker of all time

Rambo
7th September '08, 01:19 PM
zidane

The Messiah
7th September '08, 01:25 PM
ronaldos scoring record is nuts!

http://i38.tinypic.com/4tozo8.jpg

plus considering he's been carrying bad injuries and was a fat bastard for a lot of that time he's probably the best out and out striker of all time

Essentially why I'd place Ronaldo over Zidane.

Xtra P
7th September '08, 04:08 PM
Ronaldo, Zidane & Henry(In that Order)

The.Z
7th September '08, 04:38 PM
Rivaldo

Famous?
7th September '08, 05:19 PM

SMH If you think goals are the only thing that makes a player...it's about intelligence and individual talent...Your high if you think Ronaldo is better than Zidane

Entity
7th September '08, 05:20 PM
If C.Ronaldo keeps performing at the same level as last season (and the season before.) It's going to be him.

Nine Bar
7th September '08, 05:24 PM
Ronaldo, Zidane & Henry(In that Order)

probably agree

Anonymous
7th September '08, 05:31 PM
SMH If you think goals are the only thing that makes a player...it's about intelligence and individual talent...Your high if you think Ronaldo is better than Zidane
LOL @ saying "it's about intelligence and individual talent" when talking about Ronaldo like man didnt have that and so much more in abundance. Not discrediting Zidane either because he had it all too. Its a tough call between the two but I would say Ronaldo edges it.
Its also hard to compare the two as of course they play in different positions, have had different roles in the past, developed at different ages etc.
There is alot to account for.

Cooks
7th September '08, 05:39 PM
Henry/Zidane

Famous?
7th September '08, 06:35 PM
I'm not saying i don't agree with Ronaldo being up there cos he was class, but for me you've got to have the all round package, and Zidane has that....

The Messiah
7th September '08, 08:37 PM

I'm not saying i don't agree with Ronaldo being up there cos he was class, but for me you've got to have the all round package, and Zidane has that....

Ronaldo essentially changed the thinking of the entire footballing world when it came to forwards. He did have the all round package and is in my eyes, the model of the current modern striker. He was a forward that had everything. He had strength, he was quick, he could finish, he had an intelligent footballing mind and had trickery/quick feet to make his own chances as well. Before then, there were few if any players who had the all round package. Klinsmann and Linker were finishers, Maradona and Di Baggio had the quick feet, Van Basten had the brains etc.

Most of the best current "modern" strikers, I would argue are rebores of Ronaldo in some way or another. It's not enough to be just quick, or be just a good finisher. You need at least two or three of the qualities Ronaldo had to be able to cut it in football today. Think of all the best strikers around to date. Only Henry has (more or less) the complete package that Ronaldo did, which is why he was so successful as a striker.

Don't get me wrong Zidane was an amazing player, and I have nothing against those who would put him top - I can fuly see why you would. But I think Ronaldo had a much greater impact on the footballing world than Zidane did. Like someone pointed out, his goal-scoring record despite his injuries is absolutely crazy. That shows the amount of talent he had.

Hij
7th September '08, 08:44 PM
Ronaldo is the best player I have ever seen play.

7th September '08, 08:46 PM
Zidane
Ronaldo

Ronaldinho at his best was brilliant as well but he was only like that for 1 or 2 seasons

Seven
7th September '08, 08:46 PM
Ronaldo
Zidane
Henry

guns out

Jay05
7th September '08, 09:13 PM
Ronaldo before he got injured>>>>Zidane>>>>Ronaldo

watched la liga the year he was with Barca originally due to Bobby Robson and he was amazing. Since then he has always been a lil heavier and lost some of his pace.

'nuum general
8th September '08, 01:07 PM
Ronaldo & Zindane are difficult to compare as they are different sorts of players. They're both up there.

Schmeichel anyone? People tend to forget keepers & defenders.

estrella
8th September '08, 01:11 PM
you're all going for flair players.What about the ones who are solid and win things like Roy Keane? Captained one of the most successful sides of all time.He was a winner.

'nuum general
8th September '08, 01:14 PM
Also Makelele as a player who changed the game more than anyone. Practically defined a new position

Jackyzuckerberg
8th September '08, 01:30 PM
Zidane had ability in so many different parts of the game. Watching him was always a delight and he had the charisma and strength on the ball to inspire the team he was playing with. Unfortunately he will mostly be remembered for his head-butt.

Interesting fact: Zidane is a member of the berber community, a marginalised and discriminated group in Algeria, who have their own language, culture and history separate to that of the Arabs that dominate North Africa. Berbers hate to be called arabs.

Eagle
8th September '08, 02:11 PM
ronaldo by a long way

Famous?
8th September '08, 02:14 PM
Ronaldo essentially changed the thinking of the entire footballing world when it came to forwards. He did have the all round package and is in my eyes, the model of the current modern striker. He was a forward that had everything. He had strength, he was quick, he could finish, he had an intelligent footballing mind and had trickery/quick feet to make his own chances as well. Before then, there were few if any players who had the all round package. Klinsmann and Linker were finishers, Maradona and Di Baggio had the quick feet, Van Basten had the brains etc.

Most of the best current "modern" strikers, I would argue are rebores of Ronaldo in some way or another. It's not enough to be just quick, or be just a good finisher. You need at least two or three of the qualities Ronaldo had to be able to cut it in football today. Think of all the best strikers around to date. Only Henry has (more or less) the complete package that Ronaldo did, which is why he was so successful as a striker.

Don't get me wrong Zidane was an amazing player, and I have nothing against those who would put him top - I can fuly see why you would. But I think Ronaldo had a much greater impact on the footballing world than Zidane did. Like someone pointed out, his goal-scoring record despite his injuries is absolutely crazy. That shows the amount of talent he had.

Okay, u argued your point well. It was a good justification of choice not a bait one, i still think Zidane but hold nothing against your decision. Safe

nortside
8th September '08, 03:39 PM
If C.Ronaldo keeps performing at the same level as last season (and the season before.) It's going to be him.

nah cos people clocked he don't do much v pacy full backs who don't give him to much respect and ain't shook, like ashley cole, clichy etc

notice how in the champs league final man did'nt go anywhere near cole

anyway i would say rivaldo(people forget man used to bang in 20 goals for barca a season and was at times the best in the world alongside figo during 98-00)

the real ronaldo sickest striker i ever seen

and zidane

Eric Cantona
8th September '08, 03:43 PM
Maldini, Giggs, Raul, Romario?

The Messiah
8th September '08, 05:36 PM
you're all going for flair players.What about the ones who are solid and win things like Roy Keane? Captained one of the most successful sides of all time.He was a winner.

Anyone can be a winner if they are in the right team at the right time. e.g Silvestre (for club and country), Le Saux (winning the league with Blackburn). Nothing against Roy Keane, great player - but he didn't set the world on fire. No way should he be anywhere near the top of a greatest modern players list. For starters Schmiechel had a bigger impact than Roy Keane did and has a big claim in a top 20 or even top 10 list.

Grimes
8th September '08, 06:06 PM

van nisterooy should be up there then

GrimmyGrimGrim
8th September '08, 06:08 PM
Makelele is a serious contender in my eyes

Eric Cantona
8th September '08, 06:11 PM
Makelele is a serious contender in my eyes

He was good, not exaclty in this kinda league though.

Grimes
8th September '08, 06:33 PM
makelele isn't a footballer

The Messiah
8th September '08, 07:19 PM
van nisterooy should be up there then

Van Nist would maybe be in a top 20 list. Ronaldo is levels above him though because of the explanation I gave earlier.

Alfie
8th September '08, 07:32 PM
Viera

Entity
8th September '08, 09:25 PM
nah cos people clocked he don't do much v pacy full backs who don't give him to much respect and ain't shook, like ashley cole, clichy etc He has schooled clichy in almost every game he plays against him. I remember Clichy hypin before one game last season about how he would have Ronaldo in his pocket, then Ronaldo skinned him and made a goal. He was practically playing as a forward in the CL final , thats why he weren't by Cole (look at his position for the goal he scored)

estrella
8th September '08, 11:20 PM
Anyone can be a winner if they are in the right team at the right time. e.g Silvestre (for club and country), Le Saux (winning the league with Blackburn). Nothing against Roy Keane, great player - but he didn't set the world on fire. No way should he be anywhere near the top of a greatest modern players list. For starters Schmiechel had a bigger impact than Roy Keane did and has a big claim in a top 20 or even top 10 list.

I agree actually but I was just throwing it out there lol

Well,my fav player of all time was Tony Daley:D He set Villa Park on fire!!!!

Arkan
8th September '08, 11:38 PM
Well,my fav player of all time was Tony Daley:D He set Villa Park on fire!!!!

whooooo?
i know my football and i never heard of this goon bag?

still Bobby Zamora is a legend. Best brighton player ever.

nortside
9th September '08, 04:48 AM
He has schooled clichy in almost every game he plays against him. I remember Clichy hypin before one game last season about how he would have Ronaldo in his pocket, then Ronaldo skinned him and made a goal. He was practically playing as a forward in the CL final , thats why he weren't by Cole (look at his position for the goal he scored)

what a load of nonsense, yeah he set up rooneys first goal but he did'nt skin clichy, he was already ahead when he first got the ball, and in the final he played on the left against a makeshift rb essien,you obviously know your stuff don't you, biggest club game and you don't even know what position man played in:shutyamouth:

he was blatent shook or ash cole cos even though he played on the left he almost always drifts from flank to flank or though the centre but funnily enough he didn't drift coles side & same way in the league game at old trafford v arsena he decided to stick to the left more time cos he didn't really fancy it with clichy
even eboue gave him no change, ronaldo is good but don't do much against pacy full backs who ain't shook like your average premiership ones

Merkleberry Finn
22nd September '08, 02:48 PM
Zidane is the most decorated and the most influential out of the players already mentioned, so I'd have to go with that.

However, my personal favourite of recent times is Eric Cantona. You just don't get characters like him any more.

Sir Kippington
3rd October '08, 10:43 AM
Ok.
For one its hard to compare strikers with midfielders. Two totally different jobs. Plus you have to consider if we are just talking about skill and technique or what a player can offer to his team.
Skill = Zidane
But the best all around player in recent times is Stevie G.
Score, pass, tackle,..full package...no homo

You wont see certain man running back to clear of the line but Gerrard will.
I swear thats what makes you a complete footballer.

Henry was the best only when he felt like it(even Arsenal fans have to agree)

Sir Kippington
3rd October '08, 11:16 AM
what a load of nonsense, yeah he set up rooneys first goal but he did'nt skin clichy, he was already ahead when he first got the ball, and in the final he played on the left against a makeshift rb essien,you obviously know your stuff don't you, biggest club game and you don't even know what position man played in:shutyamouth:

he was blatent shook or ash cole cos even though he played on the left he almost always drifts from flank to flank or though the centre but funnily enough he didn't drift coles side & same way in the league game at old trafford v arsena he decided to stick to the left more time cos he didn't really fancy it with clichy
even eboue gave him no change, ronaldo is good but don't do much against pacy full backs who ain't shook like your average premiership ones

Quick question to the Gooners..
100% real talk please.
Ashley Cole hate aside..(Yeah , I know its hard) Is Clichy better than ashley cole..Or does you hate for him blur your vision that much.

bhagi
3rd October '08, 11:41 AM
Harpal Singh biggin him up. nah its gota b zidane

Cooks
3rd October '08, 01:45 PM
Matt Le Tisser

The Messiah
3rd October '08, 04:38 PM
100% real talk please.
Ashley Cole hate aside..(Yeah , I know its hard) Is Clichy better than ashley cole..Or does you hate for him blur your vision that much.

Ashley Cole has not been the player he was at Arsenal, since his move to Chelsea. I think that is an unarguable fact. With that in mind...

Clichy has made Ashley Cole's departure a non-issue in terms of what is offered on the football pitch. Clichy gets forward just as much as Ashley Cole did, is quick, defends well and most importantly is consistent. There's only one game that comes to mind where he played badly imo, and he didn't play badly for the entire game - he just gave away the penalty that destroyed Arsenal's season.

You could argue that the Ashley Cole/Robert Pires/Theirry Henry relationship on the left hand side made Ashley Cole look a very very good player, and Clichy is yet to look like that superstar LB that Cole once was due to not having the opportunity to bond with a left-midfielder. Maybe with Nasri here, this might be that season where it happens.

Most football fans agree that both Evra and Clichy were the best left backs in the league last season. Regardless of your opinion of who is better, that is enough evidence to say that Clichy is currently a better LB than Cole.

Scrapbook
3rd October '08, 05:10 PM
Giggs

and this

i do think people overlook those players who have genuine skill AND consistancy in favour of those who score a lot of goals.

Glasgow Mandem
3rd October '08, 06:27 PM
Henrik Larsson :D

3rd October '08, 06:51 PM
Henrik Larsson :D

Never that loool

Cooks
4th October '08, 02:43 AM
I had a thought about this and there was 3 that stood out
Zidane
Raul
Henry

Hij
4th October '08, 05:01 PM
Djimi Traore.

The Messiah
4th October '08, 05:22 PM
I had a thought about this and there was 3 that stood out
Zidane
Raul
Henry

All fantastic players, but how can Ronaldo not be in that list?

Kluivert pre 21st century was sick. From the same cloth as Raul, but Raul has been able to continue it in this century.

Tickbites
6th October '08, 01:38 AM
Ronaldo - I really do hope he go's Manchester City.
Maldini.
Zidane.

C.Ronaldo will go on to be the best ever player though if he carries on the way he is, stays fit and don't let fame get to his head.

nortside
7th October '08, 08:25 PM
100% real talk please.

currently he is, clichy and sagna have been average so far this season but tbh the whole team has, overall though i don't think he is, have you seen coles dribbling ability?

fro some one who was supposedly the best attacking full back in the world he had a serious lack of dribbling ability, his strength is bombing on beyond the winger but i've seen many full backs with far better attackin abilities

nortside
7th October '08, 08:33 PM
Ronaldo - I really do hope he go's Manchester City.
Maldini.
Zidane.

C.Ronaldo will go on to be the best ever player though if he carries on the way he is, stays fit and don't let fame get to his head.

are you serious?

don't think cos im a gooner im hating as i will say straight the best english player of the last generation was scholes & rio is currently the best cb in the world so im not on no anti man u ting, but ronaldo is what yo call a flat track bully, if he sees a full back is shook he will deal with him proper but when he plays against man like ash cole, clichy and any full back with pace and who ain't shook suddenly he looks only alright

i remember cole one time when chelsea played man utd at OT turning round to manc fans and saying i got ronaldo in my pocket and almost everytime they face each other cole deals with him comfy, but when cole faced messi he was talking bout how world class messi was and how hard t was to deal with him

ronaldo is very gully but until he duns the dance of top defenders people will say yeah brilliant player and all that but against the best defenders he didn't perform which is the difference between the very good and the greats

Tony Starks
12th October '08, 09:33 AM
^very true

Grimes
12th October '08, 12:57 PM
ronaldo is a good player who has mastered the premiership craft but needs to show his virtue at international level. (tearing apart england will do the job)

Quality Control
12th October '08, 03:58 PM
C.Ronaldo is great player and very effective and athletic but he hasn't got the raw talent to be one of the best ever players

'nuum general
12th October '08, 04:25 PM
I think he meant the brazillian ronaldo not cristiano

Quality Control
12th October '08, 04:29 PM
I think he meant the brazillian ronaldo not cristiano

i was referring to this

Entity
12th October '08, 05:32 PM
C.Ronaldo is great player and very effective and athletic but he hasn't got the raw talent to be one of the best ever players ridiculous comment tbh. He was merking premiership defences at 18/19, and has improved drastically. Zidane was in France 8 years before being signed by one of Europes top teams. In terms of raw talent, apart from R9, I can't think of many who could compare.

When Zidane was 24, he earned a 3 million pound move to Juventus. Ronaldo is 23, won every major domestic trophy, won the champions league, top scorer in the premier league and the european golden boot winner (and champions league top scorer). He's been the subject of a 100 million plus bid. He was the Uefa club forward and footballer of the year, this year. (and most likely to win Fifa world player of the year unless its fixed) I could carry on, but taking into consideration that all Zidane had done at the same point in his career was win the intertoto cup. How much raw talent do you need? Especially when his best years are yet to come, hes still improving.

Quality Control
12th October '08, 05:38 PM
ronaldo doesnt have the footballing brain, instincts or creativity of zidane

like i said he's very effective, he scores a lot etc, and obv. there is huge amounts of talent there, but he's not a footballing genius like zidane

The Enigma
12th October '08, 05:40 PM
are you serious?

don't think cos im a gooner im hating as i will say straight the best english player of the last generation was scholes & rio is currently the best cb in the world so im not on no anti man u ting, but ronaldo is what yo call a flat track bully, if he sees a full back is shook he will deal with him proper but when he plays against man like ash cole, clichy and any full back with pace and who ain't shook suddenly he looks only alright

i remember cole one time when chelsea played man utd at OT turning round to manc fans and saying i got ronaldo in my pocket and almost everytime they face each other cole deals with him comfy, but when cole faced messi he was talking bout how world class messi was and how hard t was to deal with him

ronaldo is very gully but until he duns the dance of top defenders people will say yeah brilliant player and all that but against the best defenders he didn't perform which is the difference between the very good and the greats

http://members.home.nl/s.talakua/ronaldo3.gif

Seen

Entity
12th October '08, 06:00 PM

like i said he's very effective, he scores a lot etc, and obv. there is huge amounts of talent there, but he's not a footballing genius like zidane If Ronaldo had the same career as he has had at Man Utd, with Juventus and Real Madrid, ALOT of peoples opinions would change. He has exceptional footballing instincts lol.

When your team needs a goal with the match coming to a close, and you get the ball at the halfway line, and your blessed with a great footballing mind, you do something like this. The fact of the matter is, on a good day Ronaldo is unstoppable. On a bad day, hes effective.

r2w9bnSYJ04

'nuum general
12th October '08, 08:00 PM
Cristiano bottles it too often in big games atm

kossa
14th October '08, 10:28 PM
i think giggs was one of the best players of recent times

Hij
14th October '08, 11:04 PM
ridiculous comment tbh. He was merking premiership defences at 18/19, and has improved drastically. Zidane was in France 8 years before being signed by one of Europes top teams. In terms of raw talent, apart from R9, I can't think of many who could compare.

When Zidane was 24, he earned a 3 million pound move to Juventus. Ronaldo is 23, won every major domestic trophy, won the champions league, top scorer in the premier league and the european golden boot winner (and champions league top scorer). He's been the subject of a 100 million plus bid. He was the Uefa club forward and footballer of the year, this year. (and most likely to win Fifa world player of the year unless its fixed) I could carry on, but taking into consideration that all Zidane had done at the same point in his career was win the intertoto cup. How much raw talent do you need? Especially when his best years are yet to come, hes still improving.
Awards mean fuck all.

nortside
15th October '08, 01:40 PM
http://members.home.nl/s.talakua/ronaldo3.gif

Seen

that is the 1 clip ronaldo supporters pull out when it comes to this debate
but go to most cole v ronaldo clips and you will know ronaldo very rarely can dun his dance,

i remember watching portugal v englandin the euros & world cup and i was willing portugal to do england yet ronaldo couldn't get past the boy, even when it was 10 v 11 and they try double up on cole he couldn't do him

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4y4edb0L2LI

Grimes
15th October '08, 02:30 PM
The champions league isn't the same thing since when zidane was 24.

second group stage has been removed.

less goals are scored in the champions league cause of that meaning less competition.

Champions league is easier than before.

He played for man utd come on the premiership is hardly a massive accolade to achieve when you play under fergie. anderson and kuzack done shit all and are both premier league medal winners.

The world cup is the only stage which doesn't really change in difficultly

Karl
15th October '08, 06:56 PM
i fucking hate football

The Don
15th October '08, 08:36 PM

like i said he's very effective, he scores a lot etc, and obv. there is huge amounts of talent there, but he's not a footballing genius like zidane