PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal have funds to spend 30m on player

'nuum general
29th August '08, 05:41 PM
Arsene Wenger has the financial resources available to spend 30m on a player if he so chooses, according to Arsenal director Danny Fizsman.

The Gunners have lost Mathieu Flamini, Alexander Hleb and Gilberto since last season, but Wenger has so far recruited only Samir Nasri and Mikael Silvestre.

"If he said 'I want this guy and he's 30m, can I buy him?', the answer is yes. Absolutely yes," revealed Fizsman.

"It's not our decision who he spends money on, nor will it ever be ours."

If Arsene found the right player he would buy him

Arsenal director Danny Fizsman
Arsenal have not won a trophy for three seasons and there have been calls from supporters for Wenger to bolster his squad with some big-money signings.

The Gunners have brought in midfielder Nasri from Marseille for 12m and defender Mikael Silvestre from Manchester United for an undisclosed fee, thought to be under 1m.

But Fizsman added: "There were great expectations and hopes that we would buy heavily this summer.

"We totally back Wenger, it's his decision. If Arsene found the right player he would buy that player, but at the moment he hasn't."

And Fizsman admitted that if the Gunners were to buy established players before the transfer window shuts on 1 September, it could cause problems.

"There's a dual problem for him," said the Arsenal director of Wenger.

"If we buy star names, you are talking about relatively mature players who need to be integrated into the way Arsene plays - they don't know our style and it also impacts on the youngsters who have been brought through."

Wenger recently said in an interview that he wants to develop his first-team players through the youth ranks at the club.

The Frenchman said that he decided on this policy during the club's development of their Emirates Stadium, which opened at the start of the 2006-07 season.

"When we decided to build the stadium I wanted to anticipate the possibility of financial restrictions, so I concentrated on youth," Wenger said in an interview with the Independent newspaper.

"I also felt the best way to create an identity with the way we play football, to get players integrated into our culture, with our beliefs, our values, was to get them as young as possible and to develop them together.

"I felt it would be an interesting experiment to see players grow together with these qualities, and with a love for the club."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7587530.stm

I don't know why arsene is so reluctant to spend when his squad so obviously needs strengthening in a couple of areas

Cooks
29th August '08, 05:56 PM
He said he would rather improve the area by fixing it within his current squad instead of looking to the transfer market
I think Wenger prefers to have players that dont care how much money there on

D*evil*s
29th August '08, 07:56 PM
wenger seems 2 fynd dese unknowns an makes turns them into class acts...

but whn wenger spends big he spends it on sum shit players... *wiltord*

Hij
29th August '08, 07:57 PM
He wont, because it goes back on his youth policy and not spending, recouping money and putting it towards the stadium.

All the money he earnt on players down the drain on one signing? Don't see it, its just positive PR for the Arsenal fans before the window shuts imo.

bonald
29th August '08, 07:58 PM
prolly sign a french youngster with potential at 15 yr old.

wenger needs to go srsly

he's such a shit manager it's dumb.
arsenal fans knowledge ftw.

Pristine Condition
29th August '08, 09:14 PM
wenger seems 2 fynd dese unknowns an makes turns them into class acts...

but whn wenger spends big he spends it on sum shit players... *wiltord*

reyes?

This will never happen anyway

'nuum general
29th August '08, 09:16 PM
I'm not even on about him blowing 15m plus on a player, even if he spent 8m on a half decent 22yo with potential. To me his transfer policy is adversly affecting the clubs success

Pristine Condition
29th August '08, 09:19 PM
Everyone can see that. Which is why the experienced players, were fed up with waiting, to win things.

Grimes
29th August '08, 09:51 PM
its not even policy. he's just looking very carefully for players

JACK
29th August '08, 11:48 PM
^im certain only nasri will ever be able to play on title-winning-team's level out of all the transfers he done this summer

The Messiah
30th August '08, 12:14 AM
Its just positive PR for the Arsenal fans before the window shuts imo.

Postive PR? If anything it's going to get the fans even more annoyed knowing that he had the money but didn't spend when it's so obvious we need to.

I think it's just a case of the board coming out to say "Wenger didn't buy because he didn't have the funds, it's because he didn't want to."

That way if this season is a disaster, we all know who to put the blame squarely on...

JACK
30th August '08, 12:40 AM
Postive PR? If anything it's going to get the fans even more annoyed knowing that he had the money but didn't spend when it's so obvious we need to.

I think it's just a case of the board coming out to say "Wenger didn't buy because he didn't have the funds, it's because he didn't want to."

That way if this season is a disaster, we all know who to put the blame squarely on...

nail.

boo or 2 would be relevant tomorrow tbh.

Ryddel
30th August '08, 01:46 AM
well his other big money spendings were pretty shite so maybe he's scared of signing players to be flops...wiltord,jeffers,reyes,richard wright,bendnter is a flop doesnt really make an impact but deffo not dear

The Messiah
30th August '08, 02:02 AM
well his other big money spendings were pretty shite so maybe he's scared of signing players to be flops...wiltord,jeffers,reyes,richard wright,bendnter is a flop doesnt really make an impact but deffo not dear

Wiltord was not a flop. Remember Arsenal winning the title at Old Trafford?

We recouped the moeny on Reyes as the full figure was based on appeareances and performances.

Richard Wright? Big money spending? 6m is not a lot.

Bentdner came as a youth player so I'm sure sure if we even paid anything for him. If we did it was less than a million which is peanuts. Besides, he's scored more first team goals (and important goals too) in one season than Aliadiere ever did in his entire Arsenal career. Remember how promising he was 5 years ago?

I hope you aren't an Arsenal fan. You don't seem very well informed.

Ryddel
30th August '08, 02:30 AM
Wiltord was not a flop. Remember Arsenal winning the title at Old Trafford?

We recouped the moeny on Reyes as the full figure was based on appeareances and performances.

Richard Wright? Big money spending? 6m is not a lot.

Bentdner came as a youth player so I'm sure sure if we even paid anything for him. If we did it was less than a million which is peanuts. Besides, he's scored more first team goals (and important goals too) in one season than Aliadiere ever did in his entire Arsenal career. Remember how promising he was 5 years ago?

I hope you aren't an Arsenal fan. You don't seem very well informed.

That's good

I'm not and know one knows exact figures for Reyes (the quoted 12m & 17m) or anything else and the title and OT doesnt mean your not a flop? It's based over your overall contribution ala Saha he can be good but more time injuries have prevented him he may have scored important goals (not entirely sure if he has) but he was still a flop either way, and 6m was a lot of money when he was signed though alie back in like '98 or suttin?

The Messiah
30th August '08, 02:57 AM
That's good

I'm not and know one knows exact figures for Reyes (the quoted 12m & 17m) or anything else

The Arsenal fans who paid attention to every morsel of information given by Wenger and the Arsenal board, at the time of the signing, know enough to confidently say that we didn't lose any money on him. Ignoring the fact that Wenger said in passing that we recouped all the money on him anyway.

and the title and OT doesnt mean your not a flop? It's based over your overall contribution ala Saha he can be good but more time injuries have prevented him he may have scored important goals (not entirely sure if he has) but he was still a flop either way

Wiltord wasn't injured like Saha was, ans he didn't play upfront either remember, he played right midfield. Played for most of our unbeaten season as well, so I don't know where this flop talk is coming from.

and 6m was a lot of money when he was signed though alie back in like '98 or suttin?

Granted, 6m meant substantially more then than it does now. But 6m wasn't a big money signing back in those days when Shearer was going for 15m, Buffon was going for 30m and Zidane was going for 40m.

Ryddel
1st September '08, 12:52 AM
I'm not an arsenal fan so this is mostly by memory so and i wern't really proper into football till about 2004 obv i watched but i was only 13/14 then so i don't remember much about other teams anyway