PDA

View Full Version : Managerial decisions that have made you think 'what a fucking genius'

Pirate
3rd February '12, 09:33 PM
Spin off thread.

Signing Demba Ba for free
Signing Antonio Valencia and Wilson Palacios for under a million and selling them on for shit loads
Selling Woodgate a week before he gets a year-long injury :laugh:
Re-inventing Thierry Henry as a centre forward

Romelu Lukaku
3rd February '12, 09:40 PM
Signing Eric Cantona.

Close thread.

FoundTheGif
3rd February '12, 09:40 PM
Selling Gibson to Everton.

All in the plan...

zurich
3rd February '12, 10:15 PM
SAF bringing on solskjaer and sheringham to win the 1999 champs league.

Nigel
3rd February '12, 10:15 PM
Tevez and Mascherano to West Ham.

Ronaldinho to PSG.

Moving Bale from LB to LM.

Southampton singing Ali Dia, ttkk.

Fergie signing Schemical for pennies.

Palace signing Ian Wright from some Sunday league team.

Arsenal selling Anelka for 20m.

adidasgrandad
3rd February '12, 10:18 PM
everything trevor brooking ever done as caretaker manager of west ham. >>>>

signing mascherano was hardly genius. only played like twice lol

allardyce signing anelka for bolton >>>>>

chris89
3rd February '12, 10:22 PM
Newcastle getting 35m for Carroll

Mr. Jefferies
3rd February '12, 10:42 PM
SAF bringing on solskjaer and sheringham to win the 1999 champs league.

Would disagree, this was more of a 'last roll of the dice' kind of thing. Most managers with 10 minutes to go and losing 1-0 in a CL final to complete a treble would do the same and all-out attack, especially when you think Bayern had already taken off Basler and Matthaus with the latter being a defender.

Ferguson flying out to Portugal to talk Ronaldo into staying at United is one that sticks out for me, that was a real turning point for both club and player. How he backed Eric after the kick also, again flying out to speak to him and then made him captain and won the double. Also, the comments that triggered Keegan's rant which meant they imploded thus handing the title to United. Turning up at Ryan Giggs' house on his 14th birthday and getting him to sign has to be up there too.

For other managers, the Henry conversion from winger to striker is a great decision. I read Henry himself didn't think it was a good idea at the time as he wasn't sure his finishing was good enough. Either way it was a masterstoke and Arsenal reaped the rewards.

I remember Redknapp playing with three up front at OT a few years back and saying something like there was no point playing for a draw and they might as well go for it, they won 2-1 I think.

adidasgrandad
3rd February '12, 10:47 PM
bringing paolo di canio to west ham after everyone else was scared of his "temper"

Hij
4th February '12, 05:14 AM
Gerrard off for Lucas in the Derby

Cazorla
4th February '12, 05:50 AM
Palace signing Ian Wright from some Sunday league team

Ian Wright>>>>>>

How can the man be a top 3 all time goalscorer for 2 different clubs when his professional career didn't start until he was nearly 22 years old

Tony Starks
4th February '12, 08:34 AM
Fergie winning with kids when you supposedly couldn't win anything with them

After losing Anelka, buying Henry who many wrote off as being not even a top striker but a top player altogether

After getting criticised for selling captain Patrick Vieira, not signing a replacement but having faith in 17 year old Cesc Fabregas

chris89
4th February '12, 10:29 AM
After getting criticised for selling captain Patrick Vieira, not signing a replacement but having faith in 17 year old Cesc Fabregas

not sure about this, Vieira still needs replacing now

M.O.G.
4th February '12, 12:04 PM
Rafas half time substitution in the champs league final against Milan when 3-0 down, I will die with that memory.

Tony Starks
4th February '12, 12:10 PM
not sure about this, Vieira still needs replacing now
Flamini and then Song replaced him.

Away from that he still reared a kid into a world class midfielder when everyone demanded he bought a 30mil player with the money

Removing fans favourite (came second in player of the year) Silvinho for a teenage Ashley Cole was also a top decision

quality
4th February '12, 12:16 PM
Telling Pav to "fucking run about a bit", he then scored.

Pep's change of formation after 20 mins of recent Clasico. He has the players, but is clearly a very sharp manager.

Steve McLaren's 352 in Croatia.. Wait.

Nigel
4th February '12, 01:35 PM
Ranieri dropping ageing club favourite Zola to a super sub role in place of Gudjonsen upfront with Hasselbank. The two of them scoring 50 odd goals.

Hij
4th February '12, 02:11 PM
Xabi Alonso for 10 million

Parrr
4th February '12, 02:55 PM
i could just sit here typing about SAF tbh

im not gunna though ill let other people say it so the fred last longer :-D

El Asesino
4th February '12, 03:03 PM
Ranieri dropping ageing club favourite Zola to a super sub role in place of Gudjonsen upfront with Hasselbank. The two of them scoring 50 odd goals.

Chelsea these times>>>>

Loved all of the players in that post n/h

Nigel
4th February '12, 03:32 PM
Chelsea these times>>>>

Loved all of the players in that post n/h

Trust. Pre Abromovic times I was a huge Chelsea fan. Melchiot, Desailly, Terry and Le Saux. Wise, Poyet, Zola, Hasselbank, Dalla Bonna, Stanic ect >>>>>

El Asesino
4th February '12, 03:35 PM
Trust. Pre Abromovic times I was a huge Chelsea fan. Melchiot, Desailly, Terry and Le Saux. Wise, Poyet, Zola, Hasselbank, Dalla Bonna, Stanic ect >>>>>

Yeah haha, the kinda players i remember fondly when i go though old sticker books lol

Plak
5th February '12, 02:46 PM
Newcastle hiring Pardew.
Redknapp managing to get 9m out of Stoke for a 30 year old Crouch, known worldwide as the shittest player ever to kick a ball.
Selling Keane to Liverpool for 20m.
Dimitar Berbatov for 11m.
Gareth Bale for 5m.
Signing Brad Friedel on a free.
Adebayor loan deal.
Scott Parker for 6m.
2-0 down at half time against Stoke, changing to a 3-4-3 and only losing 2-1 (should have been 3-2 at LEAST to us though ttkk).
Whoever brought Messi to Barcelona and provided his growth hormone injections.
Lastly, Juan Veron to United for 28m. rtsh5rttsnrjx

Pirate
1st March '12, 08:34 PM
responding to boos and a week of letter bombs and bullets in the post with a cupped-ear gesture of defiance ttkk