PDA

View Full Version : Swansea.

Zoffie
11th January '12, 03:25 PM
Brendan Rogers the Swansea manager was nicknamed Mourinho's son, whilst he was Reserve team manager at Chelsea.
He left to go manage Watford & Reading, it didn't pan out for him there, then he was linked with Swansea & I heard analysts say, it suits him right down to the ground, they play 4-3-3 like BR tried to implement as he learned the formation whilst at Chelsea.

They were right. Swansea were a fantastic passing side in the Championship, but, could they translate it at the highest level.. boy have they translated it! They have begun to win the hearts of many!

I don't know what the current stats are like, but at a point this season Swansea were the best possession side in Europe. lol. they have maintained one of the best possession statistics in the Premier League. I remember Liverpool fans complaining that they were being out-passed by a promoted club.

I want them to stay up & go from strength to strength.

FRENCH international Hatem Ben Arfa has moaned about Newcastle United's style and says he wishes they played more like Swansea City.

Ben Arfa has struggled for games under Alan Pardew and admits he does not agree with the Toon manager's approach.

"It's true we don't share quite the same philosophy," said the former Marseille star.

"For him, it's more crosses, a bit of a more direct style, whereas I'm more the kind of player who likes to play short passes.

"I like to pass and move, a little bit like Swansea when we played against them.

"I was very impressed with the way Swansea played. That is the kind of football I like.

"That's the philosophy I learned at the French academy at Clairefontaine."

Ben Arfa signed a four-year deal at Newcastle when he joined them 12 months ago.

ARSENAL'S returning legend Thierry Henry has hailed Brendan Rodgers' Swansea City ahead of this weekend's Liberty Stadium showdown, describing the Swans as "an amazing team"

Henry is set make his first Premier League appearance on Sunday following his surprise return to the Gunners on a short-term loan.

The 34-year-old made a dramatic goal-scoring cameo in the midweek 1-0 FA Cup win against Leeds United, but the Frenchman is adamant Sunday's clash will be a huge test for Arsene Wenger's side.

"Swansea are an amazing team," said World Cup winner Henry, who is on loan from MLS side New York Red Bulls.

"I've been more than impressed with them, they play football the right way, they're dangerous, they play with two great wingers and we know it's going to be a difficult game for us."

Harry Redknapp was full of praise for the way Swansea City played against his Tottenham Hotspur side this afternoon.

The Swans fought back from one goal down to claim a share of the spoils at the Liberty Stadium.

After the match, Redknapp believes that Swansea will fight off the threat of relegation this season.

"The way Swansea play, it's difficult," Redknapp told BBC Sport. "They are a credit to the game the way Brendan Rogers has them organised and playing.

"He's done a great job. Not many teams will come here and win, so taking a point is acceptable.

"I'll be surprised if Swansea aren't in the Premier League next year."

chris89
11th January '12, 03:28 PM
I hope Josh goes there on loan tbh

Alter E-ghost
11th January '12, 03:32 PM
as i said a while ago theyre definitely the team to loan to atm.

wud
11th January '12, 03:36 PM
Who's their real stand out players? I only know Rangel (one of the most attacking full-backs I've ever seen lol), and they signed Routledge from us, how's he doing there?

Haven't paid much attention to Swansea if I'm honest, they should be in the welsh league as you'd expect them to be.

NSF
11th January '12, 03:38 PM
Said before they play some good football, IMO though they just need someone with that instinctive strikers touch to help them score more.

Zoffie
11th January '12, 03:48 PM
Just to emphasize the situation, I don't really think they need Josh McEachran, with the midfielders they have already they are stacked in quality possession players, I've been really impressed with Leon Britton.

The prospect of Britton & McEachran in midfield together is something I want to see, I think Josh should be heading there, but, maybe he's asking about reassurances that he will even start. After all, Brendan as a Swansea employee should be more loyal to his players.

Even though the sheer quality of Josh McEachran is a next level & the way Brendan has spoken about him, I'm sure he will see him as the number one midfielder. I want Scott Sinclair to score more, he's been a little unlucky, Scott Sinclair always takes a little longer to adapt to the level before he becomes a goalscorer, it's happened every time he's stepped up. I hope Josh with his understanding of Sinclair's game helps him to score.

I will be recording all Swansea matches if Josh goes there, a bandwagon might start to surface.

Definitely watching the Arsenal game as well. Swansea aren't the most prolific team in the Premier League & like Barcelona to Arsenal..
Just because they approach the game in a similar manner doesn't mean Arsenal won't outclass them, but, hopefully it'll be a good watch.

Who's their real stand out players? I only know Rangel (one of the most attacking full-backs I've ever seen lol), and they signed Routledge from us, how's he doing there?

Haven't paid much attention to Swansea if I'm honest, they should be in the welsh league as you'd expect them to be.

They play a 4-3-3

Usually they have Scott Sinclair on the left, at Chelsea they tried to mould him to emulate Thierry Henry's game as a right footer cutting in & scoring from the left, he had his 1st prolific season away from the reserves in the Championship last season, he had been with many other Championship clubs before, but, under Brendan Rogers who managed him in the CFC reserves he flourished. He hasn't scored many this season most penalties, it's just about adjustment.
Liverpool want to buy Scott Sinclair, he'll stay I think because he's moved around a lot & is happy at the Swans.

Nathan Dyer came from the Southampton academy alongside Bale & Walcott's generation, Southampton with AOC have produced a nice array of wide men.
Nathan dyer is small & very aggressive as a fast pacey winger, he doesn't get the goals, but, is a vital weapon.

They bought Danny Graham as a central striker, as they needed one after they couldn't secure Borini the striker Chelsea loaned to them las season, he already signed a pre-contract with Parma before he went on loan to the Swans, which is sad as had he knew how it was gonna pan out, he probably would have stayed & he scores for fun.

In midfield they have clever intellectual passers two I have seen most is Joe Allen & Leon Britton, but they have more in reserve.

BIGLEE
11th January '12, 03:50 PM
Scott sinclair nathan dyer >>

chris89
11th January '12, 03:57 PM
Some of the passes he plays in the video Zoffie posted>>>>>>

Need to get him on the pitch to get some through balls to Torres asap

wud
11th January '12, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info Zoffie, enjoy watching 4-3-3 formation teams so might pay a bit more attention to them

quality
11th January '12, 04:09 PM
I heard a lot about Scott Sinclair last season, but I've been incredibly impressed whenever I've seen Nathan Dyer tbh.

Ashley Williams at the back and Vorm also look very good.

Julio Cesar
11th January '12, 04:29 PM
Their pretty football doesn't impress me, so what if they can pass a ball sideways, big deal. Their team is poor apart from sinclair and dyer (who wouldn't be pro without speed) and they'll get found out soon enough, I expect a big dip in form from them and I think they could go down.

Rambo
11th January '12, 04:54 PM
Their pretty football doesn't impress me, so what if they can pass a ball sideways, big deal. Their team is poor apart from sinclair and dyer (who wouldn't be pro without speed) and they'll get found out soon enough, I expect a big dip in form from them and I think they could go down.

swansea are boring to watch

Zoffie
11th January '12, 05:04 PM
You are missing the promise in the team, which is why I want them to stay up, with better scouting & with players like Scott sinclair finding their feet, they could actually start to score.. and from there...

Rambo
11th January '12, 05:09 PM
League
Apps goals
135 30

most of them in the championship too..if your argument is he scores goals, then he's rubbish lol

Zoffie
11th January '12, 05:50 PM
No. It's not about Scott Sinclair, what I said is that you are missing the promise of Swansea, look at your Scott Sinclair stats, look at his dry run in the Championship compared to last season. Scott Sinclair I've seen at youth & reserve level for Chelsea & England. As I explained before, he doesn't take like a duck to water to new levels, he has to acclimatise. Just as he wasn't prolific in the Championship before, but, couldnt stop scoring last season, he built up momentum in the reserves to become a scorer.

What I was explaining there is that if Swansea stays up, it's not out of the realm of possibility he'd have enough time to build up the momentum to become a Premier League scorer.

As for Swansea, which this is really about, I find Barcelona games boring, I like direct football as much as you, however seeing a team with lesser quality players rival bigger teams, seeing them not having to change their game, they represent a great prospect to me, all they lack is killer instinct.

Josh McEachran added into the mix should be good, I'm excited for that, I do hope consequently Scott Sinclair starts finding the net regularly in this 2nd half of the season.

Julio Cesar
11th January '12, 05:54 PM
Dont forget though, a lot of Scott Sinclairs goals were from penalties last year, I wouldnt class being a penalty taker as 'not being able to stop scoring'.

quality
11th January '12, 06:06 PM
Dont forget though, a lot of Scott Sinclairs goals were from penalties last year, I wouldnt class being a penalty taker as 'not being able to stop scoring'.

http://free-football-wallpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Frank-Lampard-Chelsea-Celebration-Goal.jpg

Zoffie
11th January '12, 06:12 PM
I don't know the ratio of his penalties to actual goals, but, I'd imagine that even w/o his penalties there was a dramatic increase in comparison to the tally he managed at all the other Championship clubs he's been at.

Quality is right about Lampard & how his penalties dope his goal return, but, usually we see Strikers stats doped by penalties & everyone doesn't bat an eyelid. I suppose the reason is because people go on about the amount of goals Lampard scores from midfield.

I agree that Swansea play a slower game. My favourite team to watch over the past years have been Arsenal, Milan & Sporting at different time periods, the Arsenal Invincible team go t it right as they played it on the floor but, moved the ball faster & thought quicker than their opponents.

I hope Chelsea would soon play a little like this. The video has been labelled Tiki-Taka, but, it's not.. There's a clear difference between Barca footie & this type. Barca play so slow & it's why I understand your criticism of Swansea, but, as I say it's their promise, with the right additions they could cause a lot of problems.

0z6o-zFHMts

quality
11th January '12, 06:15 PM
I just posted Lampard to annoy a QPR fan tbh.

11th January '12, 08:39 PM
lol, you wish my nigga!! your lot will be more likely to go down tbh...

/

vorm, williams and allen are sick players aswell...

Nigel
11th January '12, 09:16 PM
Need a target man like Caroll to complement the pacey wings

Plak
11th January '12, 11:15 PM
We got Steven Caulker on loan to them and he's supposedly doing well, a player that might come back to Spurs and push for a spot next year.

quality
12th January '12, 10:11 AM
We got Steven Caulker on loan to them and he's supposedly doing well, a player that might come back to Spurs and push for a spot next year.

Would say with Gallas and King's injuries, and Bassong on the way out, he'll get a fair amount of game time. Sort of like what happened with Walker coming back on loan.

Zoffie
12th January '12, 05:05 PM
Swansea have reached an agreement to loan Josh McEachran from Chelsea but will have to wait before the midfielder can complete the move to south Wales.

Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers, a former youth and reserve team manager at Stamford Bridge, has been keen to bring in the 18-year-old to bolster his squad and confirmed that the deal has been agreed in principle.

But the England Under-21 international will not join Swansea immediately as Chelsea monitor their midfield injury situation before making a final decision over whether the move can go through.

Rodgers said: "We have made an agreement with Chelsea but they have one or two injuries so we are just waiting to hear when he will be allowed to come. The important thing is we have found an agreement, which is fantastic.

"In my short career as a manager, I have had six players from Chelsea, I have a great relationship there and I'm sure it will go through sooner rather than later. I understand he will still be at Chelsea this weekend but if there is any movement it will be in the early part of next week.

"It's been a process and we have to respect he is a Chelsea player and as much as we would like to have him here, there is more to it than that. He is obviously a talent and they want to be sure that they let him out at the right time. We as a club, and me as a manager, have to respect that. I certainly understand the position Chelsea are in and as soon as they are ready to let him out he will be out here."

Basically.. We don't wanna loan him out & then get an injury.. I think maybe when Essien is a bit fitter, he'll go

MoneyMan
12th January '12, 06:31 PM

That's the thing for me, they've not got any "stand out players" in the sense of having a world class midfielder, or top scoring striker or anything, they just collectively play good football and work together very well as a team.

A team playing well and for each other>>>>>>>>>>>>> a team of individual superstars who are prone to #crisis a la City or Chelsea.

Greeze
12th January '12, 06:32 PM
Swansea play good football and their attack is decent, woeful defenders though.

Zoffie
12th January '12, 07:30 PM
That's the thing for me, they've not got any "stand out players" in the sense of having a world class midfielder, or top scoring striker or anything, they just collectively play good football and work together very well as a team.

A team playing well and for each other>>>>>>>>>>>>> a team of individual superstars who are prone to #crisis a la City or Chelsea.

They do have stand out players, Britton is clearly their best midfielder, Vorm is excellent for them in goal, Dyer & Sinclair their stars in attack.
lol.. Hey.. Are Arsenal prone to a crisis or are Arsenal prone to a crisis.. lol.. Clearly your little analysis is unfounded.

Xtra P
14th January '12, 02:16 PM
#Leon Britton

They are going to cause us a lot of frustration 2morrow.

nortside
14th January '12, 02:35 PM
#Leon Britton

They are going to cause us a lot of frustration 2morrow.

trust, the way we are so poor in possesion these days as well with clowns like arshavin,ramsey and walcott giving the ball away constantly

14th January '12, 02:48 PM
Need a target man like Caroll to complement the pacey wings
that's why they signed graham bro... :dozey:

Cazorla
15th January '12, 03:53 PM
Swansea have the fourth highest possession in the Premier League with 55.8%, more than Manchester United, Spurs and Liverpool. Only Chelsea and Manchester City can boast a higher pass completion rate than the Swans.

The majority of their possession comes in the middle of the park, 47% of it, with them receiving very little of the ball in the opposition’s final third, only 18% the lowest level out of any EPL side.

Zoffie
16th January '12, 11:11 AM
Swansea fever was bound to break through after this match, Brendan Rogers must be so excited to put Britton, Allen & McEachran on the same pitch together.

I think a lot of ill-informed people that go around criticising Chelsea's academy, but Swansea are really indicative of the approach Brendan Rogers learned at Chelsea, the same approach being rolled out through the system.

Welsh players are really coming on, a tale of Southampton graduates as well in the Arsenal game with Dyer, Walcott & then Ox coming on.

The Don
16th January '12, 12:04 PM
bit worried now that mceachran won't even play based on yesterday lol

if he does though he could thrive in this team, swansea are getting watched hard for the rest of this season

rate brendan rodgers too, earlier in the season when they lost a goal cos of over passing - "don't blame the centreback, i tell them to play like that so that goal is my responsibility" >>>

Zoffie
16th January '12, 12:31 PM
He will, I was worried he wasn't going to sign when they signed Siggy, but, Rogers think the world of McEachran believes he will go on to be considered the best.

BIGDON
16th January '12, 04:22 PM
Swansea are looking a great side they will definitely stay up its surprising to think they had to come up through the playoffs

Xtra P
16th January '12, 04:26 PM
Swanselona

Hij
16th January '12, 04:29 PM
Yes Zoffie, Swansea's success is entirely down to what Rodgers learnt at Chelsea :dozey:

Zoffie
16th January '12, 04:50 PM
Great paraphrasing skills hij..

naaaaaaaaart

It might sound like an all hail Chelsea post, but, it does go back to Cruyff & Barcelona, the blueprint that he took from Ajax to Barcelona, is the same one that De Visser & Arnesen demanded that all the Chelsea youth coaches learn & follow. Rogers himself talks about the philosophy imprinted on him at Cobham, we got Rogers from Reading's academy, there he played 442.

Rogers tried to implement the philosophy he had come to believe in at Watford & Reading as a manager after leaving Chelsea and it didn't work because, those clubs wasn't built for it, at Swansea they had already played 4-3-3 & had players like Britton (a credit to Arsenal's academy) & Wales seem to have a fine blend of players coming through.

What I actually said & now i'll give it to you in a spoonful dose, (I hope you get it ;)) is that there success is indicative of the work that is going on in the Chelsea academy, they play great, brave & positive possession football, the focus is not even on winning in most games.

What the Don posted i.e.

rate brendan rodgers too, earlier in the season when they lost a goal cos of over passing - "don't blame the centreback, i tell them to play like that so that goal is my responsibility" >>>

It's a show of pressure from English philosophy & media to bow down to what they are used to, Boas & Rogers together part of the Chelsea team under at a time, believe in the attacking & possession philosophy adopted and defend it, regardless of criticism.

Greeze
16th January '12, 08:07 PM
so your basically saying the chelsea academy are telling players not to focus on winning?

cool tactics bro :dozey:

Zoffie
16th January '12, 08:13 PM
Yesss. How smart are you lol

Greeze
16th January '12, 09:57 PM
This is football mate, personally I think your lost if you think that there's academy players who are being told that winning the match doesn't matter, especially in England as well. Sorry but I don't buy that.

''Not the result that counts, it's how well we played'' Nah, no way.

Alter E-ghost
16th January '12, 10:42 PM
This is football mate, personally I think your lost if you think that there's academy players who are being told that winning the match doesn't matter, especially in England as well. Sorry but I don't buy that.

''Not the result that counts, it's how well we played'' Nah, no way.

You are an idiot. He said don't focus on winning, furthermore, he confirmed.... You said it.

Greeze
16th January '12, 11:23 PM
You are an idiot. He said don't focus on winning, furthermore, he confirmed.... You said it.

So you think there's academy managers out there, telling there players that the result doesn't matter? :laugh:

Alter E-ghost
16th January '12, 11:54 PM
So you think there's academy managers out there, telling there players that the result doesn't matter? :laugh:

Sigh. Dont focus on winning. It doesn't mean winning is not important.

Winnall
16th January '12, 11:56 PM
Swansea are doin nuff. Probably the only team in the prem that are still focusing on the youth, reserves etc. They are improving as a club not just as a team.

Greeze
17th January '12, 12:19 AM
Sigh. Dont focus on winning. It doesn't mean winning is not important.

your crazy to suggest that there's managers out there who tell players 'dont focus on winning', cool perspective of football bro. Sure, Guardiola has Barca playing the best football on the planet, but that means nothing if his team aren't focused on sticking the ball in the net.

The Don
17th January '12, 12:25 AM

well kind of yeah lol, c/s zoff and alter

that's the focus of an academy, individual player development ahead of position in the northern reserves league or whatever the fuck

Julio Cesar
17th January '12, 12:27 AM
Fuck Swansea, their football is boring, never liked them never will. Everyone is up their arse now swell, I wish the sheep shatters nothing but failure and misery now and in the future.

Greeze
17th January '12, 12:29 AM
well kind of yeah lol, c/s zoff and alter

that's the focus of an academy, individual player development ahead of position in the northern reserves league or whatever the fuck

I do kind of hear that, but what i'm saying is, for example, there's a group of lads in an academy or whatever that have it drummed in to them that ''the result doesn't matter, just play nice football'' for however long they are there for, they turn out decent n break in to the first team or whatever, in the Premier League..is that mentality still the same for what they've been learning all those years?

Alter E-ghost
17th January '12, 01:42 AM
I do kind of hear that, but what i'm saying is, for example, there's a group of lads in an academy or whatever that have it drummed in to them that ''the result doesn't matter, just play nice football'' for however long they are there for, they turn out decent n break in to the first team or whatever, in the Premier League..is that mentality still the same for what they've been learning all those years?

Lemme break this down for you...... When you are a football team there is more to it than to focus on winning. How can you focus on winning if you don't know how to? How can you win if you give away stupid fouls from lack of discipline or control just because you got a bit too enthusiastic. I'm not saying winning is not important, not at all, but especially at a young age you need to learn how to play, not just as a team, but as an individual before you win. That is unless you just happen to be the goat team, fair enough in that case.

In the most important games certain players go missing, ronaldo for one gets greedier but it doesn't work against better opposition and it costs his team. Ronaldo only focuses on winning and while he is doing this thing atm he could be doing a bit better.

/ lesson

the result doesn't matter

This is where you fail. It does matter.

Greeze
17th January '12, 04:21 PM
Thats where you fail though bro. Your backing Zoffie whos saying ''the result doesn't matter'', then your saying that it does?

Football is a results business, end of really.

quality
17th January '12, 04:36 PM
Football is a results business, end of really.

Not at youth level - where the desire to win generally means getting the biggest, strongest players. Eventually those physical attributes level out and you're left with a group of players who were fire at 16 but now can't kick ball.

http://www.fundsport.com/news/results-holding-back-football-development

I cba to find a better article than that, but I'm sure there's hundreds on La Masia etc. The first thing that comes is technique.

Jay
17th January '12, 04:42 PM
Swansea are doin nuff. Probably the only team in the prem that are still focusing on the youth, reserves etc. They are improving as a club not just as a team.

This is uneducated bullshit. Know about what other clubs are doing before you make statements like this. Like Swansea are the only team in the land that are pushing their reserves and youth.

Greeze
17th January '12, 05:16 PM
Not at youth level - where the desire to win generally means getting the biggest, strongest players. Eventually those physical attributes level out and you're left with a group of players who were fire at 16 but now can't kick ball.

http://www.fundsport.com/news/results-holding-back-football-development

I cba to find a better article than that, but I'm sure there's hundreds on La Masia etc. The first thing that comes is technique.

im talking mentality however. I agree at youth level the aim is to develop etc, thats obvious. BUT all's im saying is that I doubt someone like Sir Alex allows his academy manager to tell his young stars that ''results aren't important'', and allows that to be drummed in to their heads, that, as long as they play good football, they can lose the game and it doesn't matter. Now if your teaching them how to play and technique etc at an early age, that will obviously progress and develop throughout their career as they get older, so will this ''play good football, result doesn't matter'' attitude stay with them too?

Alter E-ghost
17th January '12, 05:51 PM
Greeze you must be trolling I give up.

You said that he said that. Zoffie did not.

Winnall
17th January '12, 07:23 PM
This is uneducated bullshit. Know about what other clubs are doing before you make statements like this. Like Swansea are the only team in the land that are pushing their reserves and youth.

No that is fact bruv, I didn't go deep enough into what I ment. Not many teams anymore are putting money into ACADEMIES (not youth team) ..fact.

Also name me another Prem manager that will go and watch Championship and lower level games when scouting players??? You can't.

Xtra P
17th January '12, 07:44 PM
In the most important games certain players go missing, ronaldo for one gets greedier but it doesn't work against better opposition and it costs his team. Ronaldo only focuses on winning and while he is doing this thing atm he could be doing a bit better.

QFT

Jay
17th January '12, 11:52 PM
No that is fact bruv, I didn't go deep enough into what I ment. Not many teams anymore are putting money into ACADEMIES (not youth team) ..fact.

Also name me another Prem manager that will go and watch Championship and lower level games when scouting players??? You can't.

I can tell you for a fact that West Brom have invested more money into their academy in the past 5 years than Swansea and that Hodgson visits Lower League games for scouting (also Scottish games not included the big two).

The majority of teams don't work under a basis where a Manager needs to go and view lower league games anymore. Continental styles of management are taking over, technical directors and scouting systems do the watching so that a manager can concentrate on his players.

There is no fact about anything you have said.

Rambo
17th January '12, 11:54 PM
I can tell you for a fact that West Brom have invested more money into their academy in the past 5 years than Swansea and that Hodgson visits Lower League games for scouting (also Scottish games not included the big two).

The majority of teams don't work under a basis where a Manager needs to go and view lower league games anymore. Continental styles of management are taking over, technical directors and scouting systems do the watching so that a manager can concentrate on his players.

There is no fact about anything you have said.

can confirm all of this is true for wolves also

Jay
18th January '12, 12:03 AM
can confirm all of this is true for wolves also

And I can also lol

The wonders of the Express and Star!

Greeze
19th January '12, 01:52 PM
Greeze you must be trolling I give up.

You said that he said that. Zoffie did not.

No trolling, I can see where your coming from tbh bro, it's a shame you can't see my point really.

I can't find the exact post but Zoffie did state that academy players are told not to worry about the result.

Edit - post no. 38, end of paragraph 3. This might be the case for academy football nowadays, I'm just saying I find it hard to believe, that is all.

NE63
24th January '12, 12:55 PM
Swansea's manager gets a bit above himself-

“It is great for the public here at Sunderland to see us,” said manager Brendan Rodgers. “They must have been wondering what this team everyone is talking about are all about and now they have seen"