PDA

View Full Version : Barnes Doubts Liverpool's Title Credentials

Eric Cantona
8th August '08, 05:49 PM
Liverpool legend John Barnes is not convinced the Reds can win the Premier League title this season despite having brought in Robbie Keane from Spurs.

John Barnes, a member of the last Liverpool side to be champions of England, has hailed his former club‘s capture of Robbie Keane as "the signing of the summer" - but still feels they will struggle to capture the elusive Premier League title.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez pulled off one of the transfer coups of last summer when he signed Fernando Torres from Atletico Madrid and saw the Spanish striker pile up the goals in his debut English season.

Barnes, a winger who netted 84 goals in 316 games during his 10 years at Anfield, is hoping Keane can emulate Torres' scoring rate.

He told Fox Sports: "Robbie Keane is the best signing the club could have made. Anyone would want him in their team, he's the signing of the summer."

He could become the prolific second striker Liverpool missed last season, when Dirk Kuyt, Andriy Voronin and Peter Crouch managed only 13 league goals between them, leaving the Reds to rely on midfielder Steven Gerrard’s 11 league goals to help them to a fourth-place finish.

Barnes feels Keane will do better than Kuyt, Voronin and Crouch, and take some of the pressure of Gerrard.

He said: "Liverpool needed a striker so that Steven Gerrard could go back in his favourite midfield position.

"We needed a creative and a hard-working forward who can link midfield and attack and Robbie Keane is perfect for that role."

However, despite that, he doubts whether Liverpool will be able to finish in the top two this season.

"I'm confident they'll do well but I don't think they'll win the league,” he said.

"I think they are closer to the top but it will still be between Manchester United and Chelsea, they are the favourites.

"At one point we were 30-odd points off the top but last season they were only 11 off.

"I think you can't expect Liverpool to just jump up there all of a sudden like the fans think they can do.

"You have to be realistic and I think getting closer to the top and finishing third would be a success."

Barnes would like to see the club’s owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks make the finance available for Benitez to sign at least one more player before the start of the new campaign.

"You always want to see more investment in the club and I'm no different. We'll just have to wait and see.

"I'd like to see Gareth Barry at Liverpool. He's a good player but signing Keane was more important.

"We needed a second striker but Barry is a good holding midfielder so he would be the icing on the cake."

Barnes was speaking ahead of an England vs. Germany ‘Legends’ match at Bramall Lane, in aid of the people of Sichuan, the area of China devastated by a massive earthquake in May.

www.goal.com (http://www.goal.com)

Pristine Condition
8th August '08, 06:06 PM
he is right :D

Hij
8th August '08, 06:56 PM
Good article selection.

Eric Cantona
9th August '08, 01:18 AM
Hahaha, i wanted to post some positive news but i couldn't find any