PDA

View Full Version : The greatest Premier League goal ever poll

Booga
15th December '11, 06:31 PM
There have been 19,964 goals scored in England's top flight since the Premier League was formed for the 1992-93 season. With it likely that the 20,000th goal will be struck before Christmas, the Guardian sports desk has today chosen what it considers to be the 50 best in that era. Please watch them, enjoy them, discuss them and vote for your favourite.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/poll/2011/dec/15/greatest-premier-league-goal-ever-poll

If your favourite isn't there, what is yours?

Julio Cesar
15th December '11, 06:39 PM
Couldn't narrow it down to one, top 3 are: Henry vs Man Utd, Bergkamp vs Newcastle or Elmander vs Wolves.

15th December '11, 06:42 PM
eVLRMWjHa0U

Hij
15th December '11, 06:46 PM
Henry vs Man United.

One of the Yeboah goals against us.

Henry vs Tottenham

I LOVE GRIME
15th December '11, 06:47 PM
rooney vs newcastle has gotta be up there

Hij
15th December '11, 06:51 PM
OMG Albert's against United is epic to complete the thrashing

This is a shit goal but what it meant to me, is ridiculous

B84hprAfK-4

How this fucking goal isn't on that list I'll never know. Arsenal were almost impossible to beat these times, we had no strikers and an injury crisis and Neil fucking Mellor pops up with this in the last minute

NdgKLfAYrZI

70 yards lol
jfGp_6XP6_Q

Nigel
15th December '11, 06:57 PM
lol I remember that Mellor one, was around the year Wycombe or Tranmere or someone knocked u out a cup or played u in the league cup?

On that list I dunno what I would choose, cos theres a mixture of goals, you got the good long shots, team goals, individual efforts and flukey ones, all are good in their own way.

Hij
15th December '11, 06:58 PM
Might have been Tranmere - we went to the final of the League Cup that season.

It was Rafa's first season bare mental shit happened.

Strife
15th December '11, 07:07 PM
voted Bergkamp vs Newcastle

BIGDON
15th December '11, 07:12 PM
vUh-NcHi5ug

Booga
15th December '11, 07:19 PM
That Di Canio goal was something else, I remember everybody trying to do it after that

Hutch
15th December '11, 07:25 PM
Looool I just voted and Elmander has fucking 52% of the votes? Like fuck is that the best goal on the list, 4000+ people voted for it :laugh: looks like they only watched the bottom few videos the lazy bastards.

Hij
15th December '11, 07:28 PM
Looool I just voted and Elmander has fucking 52% of the votes? Like fuck is that the best goal on the list, 4000+ people voted for it :laugh: looks like they only watched the bottom few videos the lazy bastards.
:laugh:

Josh
15th December '11, 07:31 PM
Henry's against United or Bergkamp's against Newcastle.

Hutch
15th December '11, 07:38 PM
This goal only has 113 votes isthisreallife.jpg

XNtxkMUEJ1c

tippa
15th December '11, 07:41 PM

chris89
15th December '11, 07:53 PM
Well this is a welcome break from my dissertation, watching now.

Neil Mellor>>>>>>>>>>>>

No Essien vs Arsenal? cool story bro

Youssef Safri>>>>>>>>>>

15th December '11, 07:57 PM

Samir_NasG
15th December '11, 07:58 PM
Di Canio, Le Tiss or Yeboah tbh

Hutch
15th December '11, 08:00 PM

Neil Mellor>>>>>>>>>>>>

Youssef Safri>>>>>>>>>>

Or Drogba v Liverpool

Hij
15th December '11, 08:00 PM
Yeboah's is like a fine wine, it get's better with age

I still hate that it was against us :laugh:

Hutch
15th December '11, 08:02 PM
Yeboah's is like a fine wine, it get's better with age

I still hate that it was against us :laugh:

Lol I voted for that :-D

chris89
15th December '11, 08:03 PM
lol @ that Scholes volley always being in polls like this, it was against Bradford ffs, didn't even go top corner and the defenders didn't even try to stop it.

I've always loved that Henry vs Man Utd flick up volley goal, seems to be underrated

Poyet vs Sunderland>>>>>>>>>>.

Has to be Bergkamp vs Newcastle though

EA
15th December '11, 08:26 PM
Henry's against United or Bergkamp's against Newcastle.

I would also like to mention Henry's goal vs Tottenham lulul

The Messiah
15th December '11, 08:59 PM
It can only be Bergkamp vs Newcastle.

The Messiah
15th December '11, 09:15 PM
I'm sure someone has started a campaign for Elmander's goal.

Ignoring that, Bergkamp's goal is ahead by a fair margin.

Hij
15th December '11, 09:26 PM
Over time I've rated Bergkamp's less. It's a good bit of skill, but even Elmanders takes more skill.

Mazer Rackham
15th December '11, 09:42 PM
bergkamps goal is the best.

art

The Messiah
15th December '11, 11:56 PM
Over time I've rated Bergkamp's less. It's a good bit of skill, but even Elmanders takes more skill.

Really? Elmander's goal I feel just about anyone could do in the right circumstances with willing defenders.

With Bergkamp's I don't think I could ever control a pass like that with one foot, get the appropriate spin to place it round the defender a couple of feet behind me... Too many variables to get right.

Julio Cesar
15th December '11, 11:59 PM
I've always loved that Henry vs Man Utd flick up volley goal, seems to be underrated

Was just thinking that, I think that it's not far behind bergkamp's goal but a lot of people aren't even mentioning it.

Plak
16th December '11, 12:40 AM
Erik Edman vs. Liverpool, becah no fullback will ever score a goal like that again :laugh: >>>>>>>

Just seen Danny Rose's goal v Arsenal isn't on that list despite winnin goal of the year that year, lolwuuuuut.

Shower Posse
16th December '11, 01:37 AM
rooney vs newcastle has gotta be up there

Didnt even open link in op
Off the top of my head
RVP volley vs Charlton
Di Canio Scissor kick

Mr. Jefferies
16th December '11, 01:44 AM

Neil Mellor>>>>>>>>>>>>

Youssef Safri>>>>>>>>>>

tbh.

and as far as spectacular goals go, beckham vs wimbledon deserves a mention too.

lol @ that Scholes volley always being in polls like this, it was against Bradford ffs, didn't even go top corner and the defenders didn't even try to stop it.

Poyet vs Sunderland>>>>>>>>>>.

Has to be Bergkamp vs Newcastle though

lol? if anything, it's over-rated. what makes it better than berbatov's vs liverpool?

edit - i've just read my post back and it looks like i'm being biased but honestly i'm not.

BIGLEE
16th December '11, 08:00 AM
Di canio vs wimbledon

KA Black Grape.
17th December '11, 01:53 AM
My favourite is either dennis bergkamp vs newcastle in 2002, ryan giggs vs arsenal in 1999.

wud
17th December '11, 03:09 PM
voted Phillipe Albert vs Man Utd

Stellios
17th December '11, 03:13 PM
I'd say the Bergkamp probably

tippa
17th December '11, 03:25 PM
My favourite is either dennis bergkamp vs newcastle in 2002, ryan giggs vs arsenal in 1999.

That was in the FA cup but still a sick goal none the less and still hurts until this day when i watch it lol

M.O.G.
17th December '11, 03:47 PM
Toss up between Bergkamps and Di Canios.

Few omissions on there though, thought David Ginolas weaving run might have made it.

KA Black Grape.
17th December '11, 03:50 PM
That was in the FA cup but still a sick goal none the less and still hurts until this day when i watch it lol

so it was, my bad.
then it's either bergkamp's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n275iW54o68) or patrik berger's vs charlton. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzqcLRuMf0M)

steven gerrard's volley vs middlesborough is up there in my favourites too. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j22P51xTwI&feature=related)

Pirate
19th December '11, 12:32 AM
havent read all the goals there but - maynor figueroa vs stoke (?) the one from the free kick from the half way line anyway for wigan

shearers free kick vs united, that one vs everton or the one (cant remember who it was against) but he like side foot volleyed it, was amazing, got it on dvd will check tomoro

beckham vs wimbledon

alonso vs us

emre belozoglu vs sunderland - not the best goal ever but the winner in a tyne wear derby so...

DTR
19th December '11, 02:22 AM
Some personoal favourites that spring to mind, I know I'll have missed big ones out:

Le Tissier vs Man United.
Zola vs Norwich.
Berger vs Charlton.
Beckham vs Wimbledon.
Cantona vs
Di Caino vs Wimbledon.
Zola vs Totty.
Henry vs Man United.
Gerrard vs Middlesborough.
Essien vs Arsenal.
Cantona vs Nottingham Forest.
Rooney vs City.
RVP vs Charlton.
Rooney vs Newcastle.
Tevez vs Middlesborough.
Cantona vs Sunderland.

Switch
19th December '11, 09:42 AM
It can only be Bergkamp vs Newcastle..

heres one of my personal favourites because with this goal it went we could wrap up the league at the home of the tiny totts, cheers for that alan, much appreciated.

QBNiLwhkq1I

Mr. Jefferies
19th December '11, 10:00 AM
why can it 'only' be bergkamp vs newcastle? there are shitloads of innovative pieces of skill that have happened in the premier league since it started. you can't just go by one thing when deciding what is the 'greatest' premier league goal and the fact that it's mostly down to opinion means it can't 'only' be bergkamp's goal. there are loads to choose from.

an injury time screamer that wins a vital match in a title race trumps an innovative piece of skill every time for me, i don't even know what is the greatest goal if i'm honest.

but essien's vs arsenal is a better goal. better opposition, better strike, better timing (in the match) and more important. the strike was hit to absolute perfection, watch the replay, it starts a yard outside of the post and just kisses the post on it's way in, it was perfection in the dying minutes of a vital game with chelsea losing. a chelsea fan would have felt a lot more adrenaline and euphoria seeing that one go in than an arsenal fan seeing bergkamp's goal go in. it meant more. i don't see how bergkamp's goal can be better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bf3jLVyW8Y

quality
19th December '11, 10:11 AM
Jason Cundy you beauty.

In terms of technique, I don't think anyone is holding a candle to Bergkamp vs Newcastle. Le Tissier has a few, Cantona vs Sunderland (mainly for the celebration), Henry vs Man Utd (with Barthez in goal), and Shearer vs Leicester (I think?).

Mr. Jefferies
19th December '11, 10:20 AM
Jason Cundy you beauty.

In terms of technique, I don't think anyone is holding a candle to Bergkamp vs Newcastle. Le Tissier has a few, Cantona vs Sunderland (mainly for the celebration), Henry vs Man Utd (with Barthez in goal), and Shearer vs Leicester (I think?).

it's not even bergkamp's best goal lol, his strike vs leicester (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEZQzGGFQl0) is a better goal. the control to get the ball under his control as it floats OVER his head, another flick across his body to take the defender out of the game (the ball doesn't even touch the floor lol) and a touch to dead the ball followed by the side foot finish which the keeper didn't even get a touch on even at full stretch, two touches with his left foot and two touches with his right. it's a better goal. you lot have been fooled by years of edited showreels of premier league goals and people saying bergkamp vs newcastle by default. i agree with hij, the more i watch it the more average it becomes, or, the less 'good' i think it is. definitely a good goal but there have been better. lol look at the commentary for it, all he says is 'brilliant goal' and that's it, i doubt he thought at the time he just witnessed an all-time premier league great goal.

Switch
19th December '11, 10:22 AM
why can it 'only' be bergkamp vs newcastle? there are shitloads of innovative pieces of skill that have happened in the premier league since it started. you can't just go by one thing when deciding what is the 'greatest' premier league goal and the fact that it's mostly down to opinion means it can't 'only' be bergkamp's goal. there are loads to choose from.

an injury time screamer that wins a vital match in a title race trumps an innovative piece of skill every time for me, i don't even know what is the greatest goal if i'm honest.

but essien's vs arsenal is a better goal. better opposition, better strike, better timing (in the match) and more important. the strike was hit to absolute perfection, watch the replay, it starts a yard outside of the post and just kisses the post on it's way in, it was perfection in the dying minutes of a vital game with chelsea losing. a chelsea fan would have felt a lot more adrenaline and euphoria seeing that one go in than an arsenal fan seeing bergkamp's goal go in. it meant more. i don't see how bergkamp's goal can be better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bf3jLVyW8Ylike you said its your opinion, so why go off on a rant
and a great goal is a great goal no matter the opposition or the time of it, in terms of title winning goals its the moment thats celebrated more than the goal its self. you cant tell me a tapin into an open goal is better than lets say rvp goal against everton last week.

Mr. Jefferies
19th December '11, 10:25 AM
like you said its your opinion, so why go off on a rant
and a great goal is a great goal no matter the opposition or the time of it, in terms of title winning goals its the moment thats celebrated more than the goal its self. you cant tell me a tapin into an open goal is better than lets say rvp goal against everton last week.

three paragraphs doesn't equal a rant, mate. i'm just putting my point across.

also if it can 'only' be bergkamp's goal, then it's not down to opinion is it? that would be fact.

quality
19th December '11, 10:32 AM
it's not even bergkamp's best goal lol, his strike vs leicester (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEZQzGGFQl0) is a better goal. the control to get the ball under his control as it floats OVER his head, another flick across his body to take the defender out of the game (the ball doesn't even touch the floor lol) and a touch to dead the ball followed by the side foot finish which the keeper didn't even get a touch on even at full stretch, two touches with his left foot and two touches with his right. it's a better goal. you lot have been fooled by years of edited showreels of premier league goals and people saying bergkamp vs newcastle by default. i agree with hij, the more i watch it the more average it becomes, or, the less 'good' i think it is. definitely a good goal but there have been better. lol look at the commentary for it, all he says is 'brilliant goal' and that's it, i doubt he thought at the time he just witnessed an all-time premier league great goal.

His one against Argentina is the best of the three IMO. I think the goal vs Newcastle is up there because of the sheer ingenuity and quick thinking. I remember Giggs doing a similar thing to Julian Dicks (just on the wing though), where he used the outside of his boot to bend it around him and ran on.

Hij
19th December '11, 03:54 PM
Jeffery bruv why is the youtube link going to JON E CASH - Invasion and not the Essien goal? :laugh:

Mr. Jefferies
19th December '11, 06:30 PM
lol

because i pasted invasion on another thread and when i copied the link for the essien goal it must not have copied properly but yh it's meant to be the essien goal lads.

The Messiah
27th December '11, 11:11 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bf3jLVyW8Y

As I've stated before, everyone on this forum can score and has scored a long-range screamer. None of us would be able to do what Bergkamp did if we all tried 100 times. There are too many variables. Getting that first touch right, getting the spin on the ball right, fooling the defender, holding him off and getting an appropriate finish...

A long range screamer is dependent on one thing only - hitting the ball sweetly.