PDA

View Full Version : Chopra given 250k loan to pay off bets

Hij
15th December '11, 06:05 PM
Ipswich Town gave Michael Chopra 250,000 gambling loan

A Championship footballer was given a 250,000 loan by his club to help pay off gambling debts, a court has heard.

Ipswich Town striker Michael Chopra, 27, received the bail out to help satisfy creditors, jurors were told.

Details of the debts emerged after Simon Clegg, Ipswich Town chief executive, was called to give evidence at a trial.

The case at Newcastle Crown Court involves four men who deny turning a Sunderland flat into a drugs "factory".

Prosecutors said 50,000 in cash found in a Jaguar car was drugs money.

But the defendants argue it was a cash payment made by Chopra as an instalment towards settling his debts.

The court heard people had been to Ipswich Town's training ground to demand cash from Chopra.

Mr Clegg, who gave evidence on Tuesday via video-link, said the club was aware of Chopra's debts when they signed him from Cardiff City in the summer.

Simon Clegg said Ipswich Town loaned money to Chopra

He estimated the total amount to be "somewhere in the region of quarter-of-a-million pounds".

Mr Clegg, former chief executive of the British Olympic Association, thought a "significant percentage" of that figure related to gambling.

"He certainly owed money to individuals down in Wales and others in the north of the country," said Mr Clegg.

"The best of my knowledge is they were not institutions, they were individuals - not the sort of people I would be going to if i wanted to borrow money."

Mr Clegg said Chopra was worried about the debts and confirmed the club had loaned him around 250,000 towards paying them off.

"He didn't go into too much detail but he made it very clear to me he had to pay the money back," said Mr Clegg.

"I was under the impression, and made certain assumptions relating to that, that he needed to pay the money back or he would find himself in trouble."

Chopra, formerly of Newcastle United and Sunderland, recently spent three weeks receiving rehabilitation for his problems.

Prosecutors claim Joseph Lewins, 53, of Washington; Daniel Chisholm, 49, of Sunderland; Christopher Bacon, 31, of Sunderland; and John Somerville, 51, of Newcastle, conspired together to supply class A drugs between April and November last year.

All four deny the charge and the trial continues.

Ipswich Town declined to comment.

BIGLEE
15th December '11, 06:21 PM
What a joke.

Shakeem
15th December '11, 06:24 PM
what a fucking pundi.

I LOVE GRIME
15th December '11, 06:28 PM
loooooooooooooooooooool

Matt91
15th December '11, 06:39 PM
Shit player

lotf
15th December '11, 06:40 PM
inb4hegamblesit

MoneyMan
15th December '11, 06:47 PM
inb4hegamblesit

lol trust I was gonna say, Ipswich chairman probably said "right, here's 250 big ones, just go Willy Hill's pronto, put it all on United to beat Basel, then meet me at the King's Head at half-ten, we'll go over everything and if you get me drunk enough I may even let you keep the interest!"

Hij
15th December '11, 06:55 PM
lol trust I was gonna say, Ipswich chairman probably said "right, here's 250 big ones, just go Willy Hill's pronto, put it all on United to beat Basel, then meet me at the King's Head at half-ten, we'll go over everything and if you get me drunk enough I may even let you keep the interest!"

:laugh:

Samir_NasG
15th December '11, 07:38 PM

haha!

Xtra P
15th December '11, 09:00 PM
He looks a bit like Eagle and is also half Asian I believe.

BIGDON
4th October '12, 11:37 PM
Chopra, 28, is one of three footballers charged with breaches of the rules of racing including offering a bribe to jockey Andrew Heffernan, following a lengthy investigation by the BHA.

Chopra, Nottingham Forest midfielder James Coppinger, and former Manchester United and England under-21 international Mark Wilson, currently unattached, are alleged to have conspired with Heffernan to fix races aspart of a fixing ring that also included five other individuals.

Chopra and Wilson are also charged with offering bribes to Heffernan. In three of those races, Heffernan is alleged to have intentionally "stopped" his horse, knowing that it had been laid to lose on a betting exchange.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/04/michael-chopra-betting-corruption-bha?newsfeed=true

J.
4th October '12, 11:41 PM
He's fallen off hard

fucking cunt

Tommy
5th October '12, 01:28 AM
If he'd scored instead of bottling it against Newcastle, he may still be at Sunderland. He may have avoided all of this.

I have one thing to say.

Lol.