PDA

View Full Version : Manchester United's Central Midfield Issue

Hij
10th December '11, 03:22 AM
It was quite a hot topic midweek and for some parts of the season, lets discuss in depth.

Should he have gone for a centre midfielder in summer?

Was it a case of there being no one suitable for a suitable price and he is biding his time till January or Summer? E.g no point bringing in player A who isn't as good, if Sneijder says "get me next summer"?

De Rossi's contract is up in the summer - could he be joining?

Who would you like to see join or what would you do if you were managing them?

Also Arsenal fan's, Flamini's contract is up at the end of the season, reckon you'll sign him back on a bosman? :laugh:

chris89
10th December '11, 09:52 AM
Did Inter get out of their Champions League group?

tippa
10th December '11, 10:25 AM
Man u have a bigger issue with their defense since Vidic is out for the rest of the season and all their other defenders aren't really doing it

Grimes
10th December '11, 10:28 AM
the cm problem at man utd is so much over stated than it is. the simple fact is they lost all their magical powers when man city beat them

NSF
10th December '11, 10:32 AM
the cm problem at man utd is so much over stated than it is. the simple fact is they lost all their magical powers when man city beat them.

Since they got beat badly they haven't looked as threatening and they've been playing games safe.

Samir_NasG
10th December '11, 11:02 AM
No one in midfield to either

A: maintain possession
B: play the ball quickly

Only way round it is to play a ball winner i.e. Fletcher, a playmaker i.e. Carrick/Anderson and drop either Young or Rooney in the hole with 2 actual wingers who want to run in behind. Playing Phil Jones in midfield isn't helping their situation.

They should cop Gotze but I hope they don't.

Mr. Jefferies
10th December '11, 11:08 AM
It was quite a hot topic midweek and for some parts of the season, lets discuss in depth.

Was it a case of there being no one suitable for a suitable price and he is biding his time till January or Summer? E.g no point bringing in player A who isn't as good, if Sneijder says "get me next summer"?

Also Arsenal fan's, Flamini's contract is up at the end of the season, reckon you'll sign him back on a bosman? :laugh:

We definitely should have signed someone, yes. After the Community Shield and the first few league games, lots of us were excited at the new, quick passing United side and the resurgence of Anderson along with the emergence of Cleverley, it looked like we'd actually tried to get closer to Barca, change our style etc.

We were worried an injury to Cleverley would fuck us up though, because we didn't buy anyone, and that's exactly what happened. As soon as he got injured we went back to shit on a stick football. Anderson's form went and now we find ourselves here.

As far as I know, or, what I heard, Sneijder was all ready to join but he kept changing the demands in the contract, more wages etc, which caused the deal to fall through, Fergie not wanting to be taken for a mug. I think £30m+ for a player who is 27, not a CM and agrees to join then makes demands is not a good deal, this is the same Sneijder who is now contributing fuck all to his Inter team now placed 16th in Serie A, but they still should have invested in someone. Why spunk £17m on Young when we didn't need wingers? Young is a good signing though but he wasn't needed, was just an improvement on what we have.

Not sure who I'd like to see join, if I could pick any two midfielders to boost our squad I'd go for maybe Tiote from Newcastle and Hazard's contract is up next summer so he will definitely be moving in January as Lille need the money. It could be to Arsenal, United, City, Azhi, PSG... but we have to go in for him tbh. Modric is ideal too and Spurs would want him to join us rather than Chelsea I assume but signing anyone now obviously becomes harder without the CL money. At this rate I'd accept Beckham back on loan at the moment if I'm honest.

EA
10th December '11, 11:12 AM
I don't see how Götze would help their cause since they already have decent wingers.

IMO, their main issue is just lack of confidence. Man City really did knock the wind put of their sails. They could do with a bit more balance I suppose, their centre midfielders all have similar skill sets.

The only real mistake Fergie's made in recent years is not initially giving Anderson the creative freedom he had at Porto. He's hardly much of an attacking threat at this point in time.

Samir_NasG
10th December '11, 11:18 AM
I don't see how Götze would help their cause since they already have decent wingers.

IMO, their main issue is just lack of confidence. Man City really did knock the wind put of their sails. They could do with a bit more balance I suppose, their centre midfielders all have similar skill sets.

The only real mistake Fergie's made in recent years is not initially giving Anderson the creative freedom he had at Porto. He's hardly much of an attacking threat at this point in time.

Gotze can play wide or as an attacking mid to be honest. Forgot about Cleverley tbh. Him and an in form Anderson could work. Really should of gone all out to buy Modric.

iKlozzle
10th December '11, 12:34 PM

Yes, it was blatantly obvious this should of being top priority, but instead he bought Young (he's good, just not what we needed)

Yes, there was plenty, Fergie should of made Sneijder top priority. But even then, there's plenty of good midfielders in the market better than who we currently have.

Wouldn't mind him, but is he United quality? Dunno...

Dunno in all honesty, not clued up on international football since I stopped playing FM lulu... All I know is Fergie needs to get out of this mindset that the only midfielders out there are the ones like Iniesta, and Xavi

Lol, wouldn't be a bad signing for them TBH

Mr. Jefferies
10th December '11, 12:37 PM
i wouldn't mind if he just gave the lads pogba and morrison a run in the side to be honest. i want to see them in the first team.

Samir_NasG
10th December '11, 12:55 PM
'Is DeRossi Manu Quality?'

(IKlozzle, 2011, p1)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::stunned:

EA
10th December '11, 01:03 PM

(IKlozzle, 2011, p1)

De Rossi would stroll into most teams starting 11.

iKlozzle
10th December '11, 01:04 PM

(IKlozzle, 2011, p1)

Bro, if you're gonna mention me, do it properly

And I'm taking from your gas that you think he is United quality?

Not saying he isn't, just not sure, I mean he is 28 years old, he ain't gonna get any better and he's played for Roma (who lets face it, rarely make top 4) his entire career. Is he really worth it to a team that should be (key word being should) be challenging for European honours every season...

Try answer that with a educated response and I will consider your argument

Cool

I LOVE GRIME
10th December '11, 01:31 PM
i wouldn't mind if he just gave the lads pogba and morrison a run in the side to be honest. i want to see them in the first team.

this and also the start we made this season was very good cleverly and ando both had fantastic starts since they have got injured the creative spark has gone, the influence they had is forgotten people say cleverly is no scholes etc whether he is or not the boy had a huge influence and was able to do things other players currently in the starting 11 are not able to. the kind of player we need is a midfielder who can score goals and pick a pass I think a player like kagawa would do the damn thing and also united want that asian £ and I also think fergie will go for cahill got a strange felling about that

Jay
10th December '11, 02:14 PM
The loss of Cleverly has had devastating effects imo. His and Anderson's partnership was shaping up nicely. Fletcher hasn't seemed to be the player he was since his ill health and then carrick just isn't good enough.

Jack 1017
10th December '11, 02:21 PM

Your first Europa game should be a midfield 3 of Podgba, Morrison & Jones.

Cleverly is a big miss he is better then Anderson but Im not sure if he is ready tbh

chris89
10th December '11, 02:22 PM
Sir Alex pick me pick meeeeee

http://qoo6.com/data_images/darron-gibson/darron-gibson-04.jpg

Shower Posse
10th December '11, 02:26 PM
Sir Alex pick me pick meeeeee

http://qoo6.com/data_images/darron-gibson/darron-gibson-04.jpg

Inshallah he gets pneumonia during Christmas and we don't ever see Gibson come back

Pristine Condition
10th December '11, 02:37 PM
Should've went to Sunderland, the dweeb.

Maybe Sir Alex would've went in for someone more if he was gone.

Scrappy123
10th December '11, 02:55 PM
I really dunno why United fans say they want Sneijder so badly. For me they really need a Bastian type player more. De Rossi on a free would be brilliant for them.

Alot has been said over their lack of creativity but Young,Nani,Rooney and Carrick who has been one of their better players but is always a scapegoat can all play that role when in form. No one in their squad though I feel can protect the top 4 and win the ball and set off the attacks quickly.

Hij
10th December '11, 03:07 PM
Sick a decent thread let me come back and discuss properly after some breakfast

The Messiah
10th December '11, 08:30 PM

I'd take him back on a Bosman. Need cover for Song.

[With regards to De Rossi] Wouldn't mind him, but is he United quality? Dunno...

De Rossi would stroll into most teams starting 11.

And I'm taking from your gas that you think he is United quality?

Not saying he isn't, just not sure, I mean he is 28 years old, he ain't gonna get any better and he's played for Roma (who lets face it, rarely make top 4) his entire career. Is he really worth it to a team that should be (key word being should) be challenging for European honours every season...

Try answer that with a educated response and I will consider your argument

Cool

Why did Manchester United take Evra from Monaco languishing in 15th place? Why did Barca take Fabregas from a team that finish 4th in the league and no more?

Quality always shines through. It is why players like Cahill are wanted by by top clubs because they can see that he is a quality player. The fact the team around him is not of the same quality is hardly a reflection of the player. Every club in the country would have wanted Gerrard at 27. The fact his team aren't challenging for titles isn't his fault.

Ferguson has wanted De Rossi for years btw... and If you don't want him I'll happily have him at Arsenal without thinking twice about it. Top top player.

kilik
10th December '11, 08:33 PM
i think de rossi is going to man city.

ofcourse ferguson should of bought ATLEAST one midfielder. hes become stubborn recently imo.

Hij
10th December '11, 08:42 PM
Do City need De Rossi?

I'd love to see us in for De Rossi or Flamini at a cut price deal in the January transfer window but I doubt it.

kilik
10th December '11, 08:44 PM
Do City need De Rossi?

I'd love to see us in for De Rossi or Flamini at a cut price deal in the January transfer window but I doubt it.

city arent really a team that think about what they need, they just get who they want lol.

i remember in the summer hearing they were hunting for rossi.

i would love if ferguson would try get ganso from santos.

Samir_NasG
10th December '11, 08:57 PM
Fuck Flamini and 4 month wonder. Would be jolly if we copped DeRossi but it's unlikely. btw the Song/Arteta partnership is looking potent just imagine when Wilshere comes back.

The Messiah
10th December '11, 09:39 PM
Fuck Flamini and 4 month wonder. Would be jolly if we copped DeRossi but it's unlikely. btw the Song/Arteta partnership is looking potent just imagine when Wilshere comes back.

Not thinking forward. Who does Song's job when he's injured? Wilshere and Ramsey will be wasted in that role. Flamini is needed otherwise its back to using youngsters to plug the gaps. Coquelin looks decent, but now is not the time.

Mr. Jefferies
10th December '11, 09:42 PM
Do City need De Rossi?

city will do what chelsea did years ago and buy players to stop other teams from buying them.

Samir_NasG
10th December '11, 09:46 PM
Not thinking forward. Who does Song's job when he's injured? Wilshere and Ramsey will be wasted in that role. Flamini is needed otherwise its back to using youngsters to plug the gaps. Coquelin looks decent, but now is not the time.

Song doesn't play as a defensive shield anymore. Most of the time Artetas the deepest midfielder. I have faith in Diaby and Coquellin as back ups. Both are more highly rated in France than Flamoney.

The Messiah
10th December '11, 09:57 PM
Song doesn't play as a defensive shield anymore. Most of the time Artetas the deepest midfielder. I have faith in Diaby and Coquellin as back ups. Both are more highly rated in France than Flamoney.

Diaby I do not regard as a potential regular anymore, and lost faith time ago. We should sell him and be done wtih it.

I like the idea of Flamini coming back on free on the same salary he was offered before he went to Milan for the P. Proverbial slap in the face...

Cazorla
10th December '11, 09:57 PM
city will do what chelsea did years ago and buy players to stop other teams from buying them.

Chelsea used to sign a teams top player just for the fun of it. Duff from Blackburn, SWP from City, Parker from Charlton, Sidwell from Reading

Big 45
10th December '11, 09:58 PM
Jones in midfield today>>>>>

Samir_NasG
10th December '11, 09:59 PM
Diaby I do not regard as a potential regular anymore, and lost faith time ago. We should sell him and be done wtih it.

I like the idea of Flamini coming back on free on the same salary he was offered before he went to Milan for the P. Proverbial slap in the face...

Bruv you know when fit Diaby is the first name in the France midfield?? now he ain't Van persie good but the niggas talented and sometimes whether they're injury prone or not you need to bear with talent. Diaby hopefully will have an injury free run. I would prefer Flamini to rot in hell after turning his back on the club that made him and flopping in Italy.

Hij
10th December '11, 10:59 PM
Just in FM terms it makes sense for us to go for De Rossi or Flamini as it will hardly be a big fee but I doubt we have the pulling power right now- we need a couple years.

Nigel
11th December '11, 12:15 AM
Lack the power and dominance that Scholes and Keane both had, not really had a replacement for them. Fletchers a good player, but in my opinion not quite of Scholes and Keanes class. Both of them always gave 110%, and got stuck in. United ain't got that. Parker would have suited them well tbh, even though he probably plays too deep, would have been a good player to have and would have paid off as he would give Jones and Smalling that extra bit of confidence.

Yaya Toure does the role well, defends but also gets forwards, same with Alex Song. Dunno who united could realistically bring in, Kevin Strootman is a good young CM, but hes only just gone to PSV, Prince Boateng and Khedira are the only others that are realistic targets who spring to mind.

Nigel
13th December '11, 04:38 PM
Fletchers taken a spell out from Football due to a bowel condition. Unlucks Utd fans

13th December '11, 07:19 PM
Man is doubting whether De Rossi is quality?? :dozey: Klown iamdissapoint.jpeg

Flamini can suck his mum, lol at wanting him back, old Milan CM's play ahead of him ffs lulululu. :stunned::laugh:

Nah, if Song gets injured he's ready to play imo, maybe he needs a loan as he's wasting time playing the odd game for us tbh.

Jones in midfield today>>>>>
Jones >>> Any United CM

:laugh::dead:

Samir_NasG
13th December '11, 09:34 PM
Fletchers taken a spell out from Football due to a bowel condition. Unlucks Utd fans

too much Haggis?!

quality
13th December '11, 10:38 PM
I had the shits on Sunday after a night out on Saturday, its no laughing matter #pain

Alter E-ghost
13th December '11, 11:55 PM
if De Rossi goes to city i envisage Mancini playing four DMs in a match against the top four.

they really dont need it, people have said that we dont necessarily need a new midfielder and city was the biggest reason we have taken a tumble but if a player of a high calibre like de rossi or sneijder that we would have lost 6-1? yes we fell apart but i really dont see it being as bad if not a completely different result.

Without a great cm we see rooney take up some of the roles when he is playing striker to being fully moved to the centre of the park. Man U, at the moment, need a central player who can provide that little bit of magic or show that mettle that shone in players like keane and scholes (the latter having both skills even though he cant tackle)

Following from the point of mettle we need someone, even if not a midfielder, who has that winning mentality that Christiano had. The kinda will that made goals like the one he scored against fulham where he ran up the flank, cut in... you know the rest. Even screamers that he scored against the like of porto or rooneys against newcastle, Middlesbrough et al thay sneijder can provide. Creativity is missing from the centre of the park, we have Fletcher and Carrick whilst City have players like Y.Toure, Tottenham have Modric, Chelsea have Ramires etc. Its actually disgraceful how we match up in the midfield. If anyone is gonna try and say otherwise I think they are blind.

ChoKe
14th December '11, 12:07 AM
inb4 city buy de rossi just so Man u can't have him :laugh:

Zoffie
14th December '11, 01:14 AM
City have followed De Rossi closer than United, Mancini specifically said he was interested in signing De Rossi in the summer & there head Italian scout said if they managed to add De Rossi & Nasri they will definitely win the league.

When Chelsea played Leverkusen recently Ballack bossed, we don't have that many aggressive cultured types like Ballack & De Rossi are. De Rossi LOVES a tackle, he has that heart that desire, but he will also spray good balls from deep & is good in close link up. Scores goals to boot.

Now Carrick is a good player, a lot of the time his recent problems is that he has been positioned deepest of a three, that's not his position & he gets caught out there. The Carrick as a central midfielder is much better, remember Carrick use to weigh in with the goals? When playing that deep position unless you do freekicks etc... you're not really gonna get goals.

If City get De Rossi it'd be as simple as Yaya & De Rossi, rather than Yaya & Barry.
United I think De Rossi & Carrick.

Since City are so gung-ho on him & given there performance thus far, I think it'd be difficult for United to compete in terms of the wages.

RhemahOfficial
14th December '11, 04:28 PM
Since Scholes and Neville have retired, Giggs hasn't been the same and theres injuries left right and centre with Vidic, Hernandez, Ferdinand, Rooney and Fletcher. We need at least four new players in my opinion, a centre back, right back, central midfielder and a new striker to partner with Rooney

Alter E-ghost
14th December '11, 05:33 PM
I agree that Man U need another striker, Ive said it before. Rooney is not a proper striker anymore and while hernandez is good he is injury prone and welbeck is good but we need an established striker imo. How i wish we had suarez or van persie or drogba etc. Rooney is great his day but he relies on form way too much as many people have said before and we need someone else who is consistent.

Jack 1017
14th December '11, 06:34 PM
lol @ not mentioning the leagues highest goalscorer last season

chris89
14th December '11, 07:18 PM
lol @ not mentioning the leagues highest goalscorer last season

cool 5 goals in one game bro

Alter E-ghost
14th December '11, 07:50 PM
Berbatov doesnt even play lol.

The Messiah
14th December '11, 09:08 PM
I agree that Man U need another striker, Ive said it before. Rooney is not a proper striker anymore and while hernandez is good he is injury prone and welbeck is good but we need an established striker imo. Rooney is great his day but he relies on form way too much as many people have said before and we need someone else who is consistent.

Rooney has never been a 'proper' striker

Alter E-ghost
14th December '11, 09:15 PM
Rooney has never been a 'proper' striker

i actually say the same and have done but i meant hes not being played as main striker as he did in the season he scored loads of headers and valencia was his wingman.... lol. i just meant not as many goals seem to be expected of him.