PDA

View Full Version : Steve Bruce Sacked By Sunderland

BIGDON
30th November '11, 07:04 PM
Sunderland Football Club has confirmed today that the club has parted company with manager Steve Bruce.

Bruce joined the Black Cats from Wigan Athletic in the summer of 2009.

Speaking about the announcement, chairman Ellis Short said: "This has been a difficult time for everyone at Sunderland and is not a situation that any of us envisaged or expected to be in.

"It is my job as chairman to act in the best interests of our football club at all times and I can assure everyone that this is not a decision that I have taken lightly. Sadly results this season have simply not been good enough and I feel the time is right to make a change.

"Steve has acted with honesty and integrity throughout, which is testament to the character and commitment he has shown during his time at Sunderland.

"I would like to personally place on record my thanks to him for his significant contribution to our football club over the past two and a half years and everyone here at Sunderland naturally wishes him the very best for the future.

"I would also like to thank our fans, who have endured a trying start to the season. Their support continues to be the driving force behind our club and is vital as we now look to the future."

The club will now begin its search for a new manager and will make a further announcement in due course. Assistant manager Eric Black will take charge of first team duties in the interim period.

Hij
30th November '11, 07:10 PM
Steve BRUCE, He's got a big fat head, he's got a big fat head, he's got a big fat head, Steve BRUCE

BigDon, we need odds on next manager of Sunderland and try and get odds for Steve Bruce to takeover at Blackburn :laugh:

kilik
30th November '11, 07:13 PM
wow i thought sunderland would never sack or at least not this season as he helped them improve. TBh what did sunderland expect, the only decent striker they have atm is bendtner :dozey: .

sunil
30th November '11, 07:17 PM
why did they sack him , they wudnt have been relegated

who they gonna get in sum championship manager : gary megson?

ffs

I LOVE GRIME
30th November '11, 07:34 PM
thought kean would get sacked b4 him

Samir_NasG
30th November '11, 07:47 PM
There's 6 points Fergie can no longer count on. Does he have any ex united players working for him now in the prem?

quality
30th November '11, 09:04 PM
Terrible manager.

Hij
30th November '11, 09:07 PM
He has a good reputation though

Pirate
30th November '11, 09:14 PM
LHkgXGzsX4w

quality
30th November '11, 09:16 PM
He has a good reputation though

Yeah no idea why, he'll get another club no bother. I'd lol at the next club he turns up at.

Pirate
30th November '11, 09:27 PM
jT5IOPP9wTA

RRw45yS1n60

Shower Posse
1st December '11, 01:26 AM
knew this was coming after they lost to Wigan

RIP Sunderland

Plak
1st December '11, 02:11 AM
Bruce had a sick eye for talent tbh, Sunderland will struggle if they dont get the right man in.

MoneyMan
1st December '11, 02:23 AM
Hij - where's that thread you (think it was you) made with us bettong on next prem manager to get sacked?
Pretty sure I put money on Bruce and would now like it :-D

M.O.G.
1st December '11, 10:04 AM
Inb4Rafa

quality
1st December '11, 10:16 AM
Bruce had a sick eye for talent tbh, Sunderland will struggle if they dont get the right man in.

He's not really bought a good player who was unknown at Sunderland. In that time, Bent, Jones and Gyan have all wanted to leave big time. He obviously had some connect in Honduras at Wigan, but he wasted money constantly at Sunderland.

M.O.G.
1st December '11, 10:37 AM
Not at Sunderland he never, I agree with you there but he did make some very good signings for Wigan though

quality
1st December '11, 10:56 AM
Soon after Ahmed Elmohamady arrived from Egypt, Sunderland's manager was asked if the winger would be observing Ramadan and if so, how the daylight fasting might affect his game.

The question was met with a blank look. "Is Elmohamady a Coptic Christian rather than a Muslim then?" the questioner persisted. It was an important distinction and the answer should have tripped off Bruce's tongue, but he clearly did not have a clue.

:laugh:

Josh
1st December '11, 11:29 AM
why did they sack him , they wudnt have been relegated

who they gonna get in sum championship manager : gary megson?

ffs

Gary Megson is a League 1 manager. And how do you know he would've kept them up? He's proven time and time again that he's a shit manager. Their strike force is appalling, they've got Bendnter (not a regular scorer and inconsistent), Wickham (young lad, doesn't look that great to me and I've watched him in the flesh a few times), Campbell (shite), and Ji (completely untested). Terrible, deserves to be sacked just for that tbh.

And yes I'm aware they've used Sessegnon up front as well but that shows how unprepared they were as he's a winger/second striker.

Tommy
1st December '11, 01:42 PM
Plenty of tactical mistakes been made this year. We have the players to be a good team, it just wasn't happening and something had to go. It's a shame how it ended because he's done a lot for the club, but when he runs out of idea it's time to go. Word is both O'Neill and Hughes will be interviewed for the job, take from that what you will.

Josh, few points. Campbell before his injury was starting to turn it on. First few games of that season he was looking really dangerous, whether or not he can return to the player he was becoming is another question. Ji Dong-Won's been playing in the reserves for a while as I don't believe he was match-fit, and he needs to get used to the English game but he's been banging them in at that level, which I know means little but still.

One of the reasons I felt it was time for Bruce to go was that he had no clue how to play our best players. Sess has played in so many different positions, it's no wonder he had a quiet spell. His obsession with playing strikers on the wing was also inexplicable.

Ari Gold
1st December '11, 02:16 PM
cant say i feel any hate towards old bruce, bit sad tbh.

Tommy
1st December '11, 02:22 PM
cant say i feel any hate towards old bruce, bit sad tbh.

Yeah definitely. Just a bloke who'd ran out of ideas. Who do you want to replace him?

Ari Gold
1st December '11, 02:27 PM
dont really care tbh. il follow the story and im sad for bruce but i dont have any opinion on how sunderland should run their club or who they should get in or anything. i dunno.

what i do know though is as arsenal and united have proven, the answer is not to just sack your manager mid season.

Tommy
1st December '11, 02:54 PM
dont really care tbh. il follow the story and im sad for bruce but i dont have any opinion on how sunderland should run their club or who they should get in or anything. i dunno.

what i do know though is as arsenal and united have proven, the answer is not to just sack your manager mid season.

My bad, the way you sounded as if you COULD hate Bruce suggested you cared about Sunderland.

Arsenal and United are stupid examples. They are the RIGHT people for the job.

Ari Gold
1st December '11, 02:57 PM
well i dunno a lot of pople seem to hate on every other prem team just for the sake of hating. sunderland dont bother me and bruce always seemed like a good guy to me thats all. if sunderland their fans dont think hes right, then he probly isnt the one.

whats the speculated options for his replacement?

Tommy
1st December '11, 03:00 PM
well i dunno a lot of pople seem to hate on every other prem team just for the sake of hating. sunderland dont bother me and bruce always seemed like a good guy to me thats all. if sunderland their fans dont think hes right, then he probly isnt the one.

whats the speculated options for his replacement?

SSN reporting O'Neill's been approached. Odds have shortened just as much on Hughes, papers seem to think he's the guy.

Ari Gold
1st December '11, 03:05 PM
forgot about hughs, whats he been doing since newcastle gave him the axe?

The Don
1st December '11, 03:13 PM

lol

the whole "arsenal and united don't sack their managers!" argument is bullshit imo, it's the exception not the rule

in the position of a chairman it must be hard seeing your team stay as stagnant as sunderland have done for the past few years and so ur gonna want a chance, bruce has never struck me as a great manager either

i always think the summer is the better place to do it though

if sunderland could get o'neill it'd be a good move

Tommy
1st December '11, 03:15 PM

What?

Oh.....

What?

NSF
1st December '11, 03:24 PM
forgot about hughs, whats he been doing since newcastle gave him the axe?Do you mean Hughton? Hughes was last at Fulham I think.

Josh
1st December '11, 03:28 PM
Josh, few points. Campbell before his injury was starting to turn it on. First few games of that season he was looking really dangerous, whether or not he can return to the player he was becoming is another question. Ji Dong-Won's been playing in the reserves for a while as I don't believe he was match-fit, and he needs to get used to the English game but he's been banging them in at that level, which I know means little but still.

All ifs and buts though isn't it. Campbell scores a few goals here and there but he'll never been consistent for as long as he has a hole in his arse. I've heard good things about Ji but like you say he's got to adapt so for someone like that to be signed you've got to have a good enough strikeforce in case he's shit and you guys don't. And yeah you're right it means nothing, reserve football is a completely different kettle of fish and that's even down to our level (League 1), we had a striker who would score for fun in the stiffs but as soon as we put him in the first team he was wank.

It'd be pretty bad if you got Hughes lol

Ari Gold
1st December '11, 05:52 PM
loool my bad

out there
2nd December '11, 08:34 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15997197.stm

Jstar
3rd December '11, 12:44 AM
http://d2-04.twitpicproxy.com/photos/large/428579070.jpg