Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Reppin
    In a Lab.
    vCash

Cool Ask a producer questions/feedback

I've been meaning to post this for a while now, I want to try get more people involved in this section of the forum.

I'm not claiming to be the fountain of all knowledge in terms of production but I have a good understanding of just about every VST/DAW available on the market. (i mainly use FL + Reason, but have good experience Cubase, logic and protools - some ableton and studio 1)

If your an up n coming producer and want any tips or help/input/feedback on your tracks from a professional ear post below.

SnoWman

----

I have started doing producer video logs - see below - wayyyy more to come!! anything you would like me to show you let me know and i will try to incorporate it!

Click here to watch the video on YouTube.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Reppin
    Bristol
    vCash

I'd like some feedback on the track in my signature

Reppin
    Bristol
    vCash

N also info on recreating the Korg Gliding Squares patch within massive or other VSTs

vCash

Good idea for a thread man. Whats one of your favourite VSTs at the moment. I've been using Gladiator a lot lately, got some crazy sounds on there.
    High Quality Rap Beats at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Contact info: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Reppin
    North/East London
    vCash

How can I get fl studio on iMac? Been struggling to use Logic Pro
    If you can shot a 10s in Eskimo Dance then......COME AT ME BRO!

altoid is offline They Couldn't Test My Posting On A Level
    Reppin
    vCash

I've started using abelton and right now mainly have questions about just getting the sounds to make the grime that I want.

I'm a novice, so if there are any obvious starting places like vsts/packs/etc that you could direct me too id appreciate it. I've done of a fair amount of browsing in this section to find out but it'd be nice to have some direct advice. I'm the biggest fan of the original eski stuff l but I like everything tbh.

Another starter question: why are fl/reason so widely used in grime? I assume its because they seem very hands on and simple but if it has something to do with sound selection as well I'd want to know.
    Last edited by altoid; 10th January '16 at 06:26 AM.

Reppin
    In a Lab.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SirHiss_GR View Post
    I'd like some feedback on the track in my signature
    Reminds me of an early wiley track cant remember the name, I would add a bit more to it personally ie other layers to back up the synth or a bridge/2nd drop switchup, gets a bit samey quite quick imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Production Prophets View Post
    Good idea for a thread man. Whats one of your favourite VSTs at the moment. I've been using Gladiator a lot lately, got some crazy sounds on there.
    for me all synths are the same and can fundamentally do the same job, its down to preference in terms of quickness to achieve what you want - for example for a layered bass i might use reason with a combinator with several thors/subtractors or maelstroms layered up to get the sound that I want usually rewired into fl or for a string section i might use a couple of eastwest plugins with some live samples ive recorded over the year, but it really does depend on the job or sound you want - i sometimes reach for massive/gladiator/other bait ones if im looking to achieve a certain sound. all i can recommend is study one vst well so you understand the principles of how a sound is created.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo10s View Post
    How can I get fl studio on iMac? Been struggling to use Logic Pro
    I had this problem for years until recently i went back to PC - i believe imageline will be bringing out a fully compatible OSX version soon (they have been saying that for years) but had to recode from the ground up, currently there is a wrapped version which just uses wine as an emulator but again its not all that stable if you want to do more than use the basic fl plugins and sounds.

I have tried every other possible way with little success in terms of stability/functionality - VMware fusion, Crossover, Parallels - the best and most simple way is bootcamp which comes with your mac, but you need a high end mac to get the most out of it, and really you might aswell just get a pc its not like you could link flstudio into logic or another mac based daw/program.

Quote Originally Posted by altoid View Post
    I've started using abelton and right now mainly have questions about just getting the sounds to make the grime that I want.

I'm a novice, so if there are any obvious starting places like vsts/packs/etc that you could direct me too id appreciate it. I've done of a fair amount of browsing in this section to find out but it'd be nice to have some direct advice. I'm the biggest fan of the original eski stuff l but I like everything tbh.

Another starter question: why are fl/reason so widely used in grime? I assume its because they seem very hands on and simple but if it has something to do with sound selection as well I'd want to know.
    fl and reason have some ok built in sounds i think they are the most popular because there simple to use programs which you can teach yourself, and aren't very processor intensive so you don't need a bigboy computer to run them.

Depends what sound you want, if you just want to make whats current and follow trends google top ten vsts/loop packs/sample packs etc.. if you want to be unique try and find things in different places that others may not, listen to random genres of music to find new ideas, i'd also recommend getting a mic even if its crap so you can record you own samples.

Reppin
    North/East London
    vCash

Alright then,

Can anyone tell me please (based on their opinion or experience),

Which program would you say is better from making the transition from fl studio, Reason or Logic Pro?

Reppin
    In a Lab.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo10s View Post
    Alright then,

Can anyone tell me please (based on their opinion or experience),

Which program would you say is better from making the transition from fl studio, Reason or Logic Pro?
    If you want to use external VST's then Logic as most pc vst's are available for MAC (audio units), if you want a pretty studio rack looking interface and have 400 spare (as only cracked one you will find is reason 5) then go with reason.

notsanice is offline I Ain't One Of Those Posters
    That You Wanna Go Against
    Reppin
    West Country
    vCash

This is an exceptional thread.
    'Used to be seen on the screen, then feared that the images of my face were being used for reasons obscene'
    'I've got the Intel to find where you reside, with the Devil Inside increasing my drive / you best hope you're not the next to cross my mind.'

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Eboue View Post
    KA and Ghetts together >>>>>>>>>>>>> The Beatles

Reppin
    North/East London
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by [Mr_SnoWman] View Post
    If you want to use external VST's then Logic as most pc vst's are available for MAC (audio units), if you want a pretty studio rack looking interface and have 400 spare (as only cracked one you will find is reason 5) then go with reason.
    Has anyone got a cracked version of the latest reason software for imac?

Reppin
    In a Lab.
    vCash

cant post illegal software mate a few google searchs will help you bro

WarFace is offline Green Rep Goons
    Us Man We Make The Neg Trains Boom
    vCash

strong idea for a thread

would really like any input ideas on how to flesh out this beat
    Last edited by WarFace; 13th January '16 at 09:00 PM.

Reppin
    In a Lab.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by WarFace View Post

strong idea for a thread

would really like any input ideas on how to flesh out this beat
    Like the cowbell lol brought a smile to my face - i wouldnt have this throughout the whole track tho imo.

I actually like this, sounds like a typical older generation grime beat.

Personally i wouldnt actually change it too much i think it all boils down to a good mixdown, some of the samples sound too loud (gunshots etc) and the bass sounds to low IMO. i would also tweak the bass so it doesnt sound so bait fl studio square wave tbh -maybe after the first 32 bar or first couple of switchs i would go with a whole pitch the track down an octave then back up after another 32 to mix it up a bit.

WarFace is offline Green Rep Goons
    Us Man We Make The Neg Trains Boom
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by [Mr_SnoWman] View Post
    Like the cowbell lol brought a smile to my face - i wouldnt have this throughout the whole track tho imo.

I actually like this, sounds like a typical older generation grime beat.

Personally i wouldnt actually change it too much i think it all boils down to a good mixdown, some of the samples sound too loud (gunshots etc) and the bass sounds to low IMO. i would also tweak the bass so it doesnt sound so bait fl studio square wave tbh -maybe after the first 32 bar or first couple of switchs i would go with a whole pitch the track down an octave then back up after another 32 to mix it up a bit.
    respect bro decent feedback is appreciated. will make some changes based on these suggestions tomorrow and re upload

just another thing i was working on tonight. only spent an hour or so on it so its no where near done, just wondering whether its worth finishing
    Last edited by WarFace; 17th January '16 at 03:01 AM.

vCash

Hey man, can you give me feedback on this track? thanks

Last edited by Gentleman Swami; 17th January '16 at 09:38 PM.

Reppin
    Bristol
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Swami View Post
    Hey man, can you give me feedback on this track? thanks

Cmon fam, Music Radar Grime 138A002. Dont be using loops

vCash

Cmon fam, Music Radar Grime 138A002. Dont be using loops
    None at all, ever?

Reppin
    Bristol
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Swami View Post
    None at all, ever?
    Bruv i have the loop i know you used it ahahaha

vCash

Bruv i have the loop i know you used it ahahaha
    Think you've got the wrong end here mate, i'm not saying I didn't use it. the "None at all, ever?" was in response to you saying "Don't be using loops" -- So, have I to never use loops?