Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    DoubleBless is offline I'm a man with a lot of Pride
    So it's standard I gotta type
    vCash

Default Actual discussion as to why grime seems to have lost its bite these days...

I'm not one of those "grime's dead" faggits. Grime is still sick. But it just doesn't have that certain joie de vivre these days. When you hear old tracks like intensive snare, autopsy, nightbus dubplate, shit like that. Even the tunes that I really enjoy these days, most of them just don't have that sort of attitude. And I think I know what it is.

I think MCs focus too much on being proper artists these days. They want to make proper songs. The best tunes these days that capture the old sort of vibe are the ones where they're just spraying. The last proper track to catch that vibe for me is That's Not Me. And on that track Skepta is not actually saying anything is he. He's just spraying. And it works. I think there's too much focus on trying to be well rounded these days. Too much focus on concepts, and professionalism and just mass appeal and all sorts of shit. I know scenes and people are supposed to evolve and move forward, but, I don't care. I don't like it. I want it to go back. I feel like too many MCs are scared to just do what they wanna do. There's always a small part of them with one eye on toning shit down, making it more accessible to more people.

Am I talking tosh? Can it ever go back to that? Is there a way we can get more of that? Can MCs juggle making money from the mainstream and shit, but still maybe just up their output in terms of the raw shit as well? You got any other suggestions?
    Mans talkin like his posts are hot, come to the thread, couldn't see nobody tanned.

Grimechild is offline I'm A King When I Scroll Through GrimeForum
    Reppin
    Manabadmanwood
    vCash

man said joie de vivre you know

vCash

bruv I'm balling with the vocab
    Mans talkin like his posts are hot, come to the thread, couldn't see nobody tanned.

jm31344 is offline I Was Like You Rudeboy
    I Had No Rep To Giiiiivve
    vCash

After Skepta 'put Gucci and LV in the bin' I hope he decided to go back to real grime on Konnichiwa (out 1st march).
    Jme is also doing his thing, he doesn't care about commercial success and what I really like - he releases a track when he fells it, not because of label's pressure.

I also like Wiley's "On A Level", as a flashbak to his Eskimo era, but he's changing his style 100 times a day and he doesn't focus on grime anymore.

vCash

Yeah fair point about JME actually. His tunes more often than not have got that vibe. I don't wanna just make this about commercial success though. I don't think it's just about that. There's no reason an MC can't play to multiple audiences. Wiley does a decent job of that. Yeah, make your pop, but still knock out some proper grime tunes. But it feels likes a lot of MCs try and just do it all at the same time. A lot of FT shit just seems too middle of the road. A lot of their shit sounds like they're trying to cover all bases in one tune.

Also, new wave MCs need more personality. A lot of new wave bars just lack creativity. Skepta used to drop bars like "I'm like pizza hut, your like pizza go-go" Wiley had bars like "I'm a badman, there's no set time I have tea at". Where's all that shit gone?

adamba17 is offline Cool... Seen
    This Thread Won't Be Big In The Scene!
    22 Negs On Your Post... Seen
    vCash

Default Actual discussion as to why grime seems to have lost its bite these days...

Agree 100 percent with everything you said. Trying too hard to make smart bars instead of just creative things. I wrote a pretty similar post in another thread. I'll try and find it.
    Last edited by adamba17; 19th February '15 at 02:45 PM.

vCash

Bitd it simple beats and simple bars. Most of the good tunes were made in 15 mins and were just a basic bass line over a beat thing. Now it's all 100 different sounds and you can hear that people are trying to make it sound complicated for the sake of sounding "good".

Same with the bars. The best bars ever were simple.

Think you're a big boy coz you got a beard
    Bullets will make your face look weird

It's not genius but it is at the same time. The simplicity and rawness of it makes it brilliant. Now it's all concepts and people tryna be as smart and complicated as possible and ironically the content suffers.

I read an interview with d double from 2005 or so where he said the same thing. He said something like bars just pop into his head and he goes with it, he doesn't try to think too much about them. He was asked why he was so far above everyone else and he said other guys just try too hard and stress themselves out trying to do too much.

"Your mums got athletes foot"
    "Rudeboy you stink, I will come to your house and piss in your sink"
    "Gimme space gimme room, glock 19 spread your face round the room"

People now keep saying "nursery rhymes" about simple bars. People like p money coming in spitting 100 words every sentence etc. have changed things.

I've probably explained that terribly but you get my point.
    Last edited by adamba17; 19th February '15 at 02:44 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adamba17 View Post

"Your mums got athletes foot"
    "Rudeboy you stink, I will come to your house and piss in your sink"
    "Gimme space gimme room, glock 19 spread your face round the room"

I've probably explained that terribly but you get my point.

"And I saw your mum at ladbroke grove station, smelling like cats piss, selling playstations"

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I want some back to basics shit man. There's still bits about. But I just want more.

Quote Originally Posted by adamba17 View Post
    People now keep saying "nursery rhymes" about simple bars. People like p money coming in spitting 100 words every sentence etc. have changed things.
    Yeah this shit as well. P one of the guiltiest as well. Just listened to emergency freestyle this morning whilst "researching" the issue. Just stop mate. Stop over thinking it. Stop all the "did ya get that bar" ad libs. Don't think. Just spray. He was sick when he did that.

vCash

l0l load of gays in 'ere writing utter bollocks.

fuckin 'ell
    Originally Posted by MAC
    Done with the forum tbh.....I'm out.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hahaha View Post

fuckin 'ell
    Fuck off you prick. It's "grime discussion." Cunts like you who tell people not to write essays are the reason there's just random bollox in here.

If you don't wanna hear people discussing grime then leave the grime discussion forum.

Cunt.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBless View Post
    "And I saw your mum at ladbroke grove station, smelling like cats piss, selling playstations"

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I want some back to basics shit man. There's still bits about. But I just want more.

Yeah this shit as well. P one of the guiltiest as well. Just listened to emergency freestyle this morning whilst "researching" the issue. Just stop mate. Stop over thinking it. Stop all the "did ya get that bar" ad libs. Don't think. Just spray. He was sick when he did that.
    Yeah that's the worst shit man. I'm on the same wavelength definitely.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hahaha View Post

fuckin 'ell
    No!

Your are the gay!

The Capital Kid is offline I'm A King When I Scroll Through GrimeForum
    Reppin
    Londinium
    vCash

"Overthinking" was exactly my thought after reading the OP. Maybe nowadays guys considering how a track will be received (and by whom) gets in the way of just vibing and going with whatever their feeling is in the studio/with pen in hand etc...

ShaoDow is offline I Ain't One Of Those Posters
    That You Wanna Go Against
    Reppin
    Rapsville
    vCash

This is a very interesting discussion

Felt to weigh in as an artist

Just so you know where I'm coming from Ludacris was one of the main reasons I started rapping. Tech N9ne is my favourite rapper. Both are known for fast intricate flows and I think a lot of that has shaped my overall style.

Whilst I do make Grime I'd never say I was solely a grime artist. The lyricist in me prefers the intricate well thought out tracks with deep wordplay etched because I can appreciate the art.

But I think one of the best things about grime is the raw emotion and the ability to get someone to lose their friggin mind because of what you're spitting and how you spit it.

The Forward Remix (Pull Up Dat) is guaranteed to make me dash a table or chair across the room and that is super simple.

Same way, I'm a Waka Floka fan because he's basic and fun.

The main trouble we have here in this country is there's just not enough support for the niches.

In America you can make the odd obscure music and still eat well (if you're lucky) cos the country is massive and there's enough people and infrastructure to support super lyrical and super basic.

Here the problem is that people like the stuff. But they don't support the artists in the same way. And if you want any form of career unfortunately you need to generate finances in one way or another.

I believe the reason D Double is able to remain as he is is because he's he's a smart guy, he knows his audience and what they want. BUT more importantly he gets bookings. That gives him the money to continue to do what he wants.

Similar to me. I make enough money from my music to make the sort of music that I (and subsequently my fanbase) likes.

If you're an artist who isn't fortunate enough to be able to make money from your music then you may start off making grime in the way you want to make it. But if/when you don't see enough financial support for it you're going to change and make what you think will sell.

Evolve or be extinct.

Unfortunately that's how's it is. As Grime has received more attention and money from the mainstream less hardcore audience there's also been the demand to make it more polished and less hardcore.

And if there's no infastructure to support Grime as it was. Then inevitably it's going to change.

Hope that's all coherent. I haven't proof read. Just found a few spare minutes in my day to jump in.
    Check me out at

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Legend Killer is offline I Was Like You Rudeboy
    I Had No Rep To Giiiiivve
    vCash

"Grime is dead" is a saying and mentality portrayed by people who think they are too old and superior for the scene. They are far more concerned with sucking off Americans and "turning up" these days. The ones who aren't like that listen to UK rap because "that's what big men do", basically a bunch of faggots who heard a couple Snap Capone rumours or read the GF real in road thread and listened to a couple of his tracks. Let's not forget that there are a few MCs that get it in and have actually caught bodies but I won't go into that.

The MCs that ducked out saw tinie, dizzie and chip get commercial success and try jump on that forgetting that grime has charted and Wiley and skepta charted with them stupid songs about their watches but realised that's not what its about as they just end up being label puppets.

I had maxsta @'ing me on twitter telling me he does grime(we all saw his cliffs on here about grime being a stepping stone for him) when really he saw stormzy win his award and Dan chart and wanted to be a part of the scene because he is a fame chaser, both him and criminal should never be allowed back for the wreck they talked on this forum.

kano is trying to get back but he isn't being allowed back in and I hope it little narstie runs up on him at every show he does and he remains blacklisted by the fans. Got old guys like stormin and fumin trying to hop back on but they were never good and I hope the fans keep them blacklisted too, basically anyone that thought they were superior to the scene but are trying to worm their way back in now needs to hold bans.

Grime never died, people just refused to let go of the past and let new guys get a chance.

vCash

so much has changed since those times, people could write bars and not be worried about how people on forums would analyse them, no youtube, no downloads, no rinse videos etc. Times were different and spraying was different.

Also when garage collapsed there were a lot of pent up MC's who could finally get some air time, this 1st generation inspired the 2nd generation of grime artists. By 2006, the rise of technology and the lack of any decent alternatives to grime meant that everyone just accepted that grime was here and that was it.

I was in the studio with Wire when he made believe me. I was the first person to book Slimzee and Dizzie in Area Watford back in 02. Those times will never ever be replicated. Doesn't mean grime is shit now just means the flavour is a bit different.

Stretch DR is offline Your Posts Sound Out Of Date And Expired
    I Check My CP, Got Bare Admires
    Reppin
    Crane Kicks
    vCash

Gentrification!

Grime was a product of our surroundings, if you grew up in london during #ThePostcodeEra it was alot

Now all the trendy kids have taken over london and diluted the whole city
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ShaoDow View Post
    This is a very interesting discussion
    Good points but I don't really buy it man. You say yourself that you can eat off your music. Thanks to the internet, it's easier these days to find your niche. You can eat off worldwide fans. The fact its a small country ain't that much of an issue. I think it might just be envy of the size of hip hop that encourages people to go more mainstream/polished. But if it weren't for that carrot being dangled, I think you CAN eat off a little niche. It's just it feels like you ain't eating enough when you've got hip hop on the other side of the water, maybe blinding people to what's right in front of them. MCs ain't never gonna eat off grime like american hip hop artists

I think there is enough support for niches, it just don't all come from within this country. But there is support. And also, we've got a lot of niches in this country. Maybe we're more diluted like that. Look how much we cycle through genres. Every 3 or 4 years there's a massive swing. Garage, dubstep, house, dnb - They've all dominated at one point in the past 20 years. That doesn't seem to be the case stateside, from what I can tell.

lufcdan24 is offline I'm A King When I Scroll Through GrimeForum
    vCash

grime just became different to what it was, now its full of instrumentals that are too complex to be grime and mc's that just wanna buy yeezys off their new ep and people like p money saying did you catch that after every punch line. grime just doesnt rly exist anymore its all this new wave shit which isnt rly grime its just using the name grime so it has a platform ready for it. imo it will never be even similar to what it once was, skepta making thats not me doesnt mean grime is back lol just means he did a throwback to a scene that used to exist to regain support.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by lufcdan24 View Post
    grime just became different to what it was, now its full of instrumentals that are too complex to be grime and mc's that just wanna buy yeezys off their new ep and people like p money saying did you catch that after every punch line. grime just doesnt rly exist anymore its all this new wave shit which isnt rly grime its just using the name grime so it has a platform ready for it. imo it will never be even similar to what it once was, skepta making thats not me doesnt mean grime is back lol just means he did a throwback to a scene that used to exist to regain support.
    Perfect summary tbf. When you read those first couple of sentence it reminds you how shit things are. Thank god for the Newham gens tho holding things down for a while longer.