Reppin
    Newham
    vCash

Default No disc drive for next xbox?????

Click here to watch the video on YouTube.

Latest rumour for the Xbox 720 suggests the future console will do away with discs entirely.

Published on Mar 9, 2012

Durango, otherwise known as Microsoft's next-gen Xbox, will launch next year and won't feature any sort of disc-drive according to a report on MCV.

A source told the trade publication that the information was issued under the strictest of Non-Disclosure Agreements. A Durango summit for developers was rumoured to have taken place in London at the end of February.

The next-gen Xbox will include a form of swappable "solid-state card storage," rather than discs according to the report - whether this is equivalent to a hard drive is unknown.

The console will launch in 2013 too, the source claimed.

Recent next-gen Xbox rumours have ranged from the device locking out pre-owned games to including a Wii U-like tablet interface.

Microsoft issued MCV with the following statement:

Xbox 360 has found new ways to extend its lifecycle like introducing the world to controller-free experiences with Kinect and re-inventing the console with a new dashboard and new entertainment content partnerships. We are always thinking about what is next for our platform and how to continue to defy the lifecycle convention. Beyond that we do not comment on rumors or speculation.

Are you ready for a disc-less generation of consoles? Do you forsee problems with a digital only gaming???

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/exclu...xt-xbox/092534

Mvc article

MCV has learnt that Microsoft has been telling partners that the Next Xbox will NOT include a disc drive.

The briefings have been issued under what MCV’s source describes as “the strictest NDA” they have ever encountered.

Although the console will not include a disc drive, it will offer compatibility with some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage, although it is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format such as SD.

Furthermore, a 2013 launch date for the hardware has been confirmed. What is less clear, however, is the intended timing of Microsoft’s announcement.

As revealed by MCV earlier this year, an E3 2012 reveal could still very much be on the cards.

The omission of a disc drive signifies the beginning of a new era for games consoles and represents a potentially savage blow to the already beleaguered video games retail sector.

Of course, retailers will tell you that they are already involved in the digital market. Indeed, GAME is enjoying growing revenue from the sale of digital download cards for digital-only titles and DLC.

Nonetheless, the abolition of physical games is bad news for retail however it is spun. With the Next Xbox positioned as a digital centric platform, the relevance of retail will once once again eroded.

When contacted by MCV Microsoft said that it does not comment on rumour and speculation.

UPDATE: Microsoft has issued a fuller statement to MCV.

“Xbox 360 has found new ways to extend its lifecycle like introducing the world to controller-free experiences with Kinect and re-inventing the console with a new dashboard and new entertainment content partnerships. We are always thinking about what is next for our platform and how to continue to defy the lifecycle convention. Beyond that we do not comment on rumors or speculation.”

BR92 is offline I Ain't One Of Those Posters
    That You Wanna Go Against
    vCash

"solid-state card storage,"

the return of cartridges?

vCash

MVC is where the article started baring in mind that that is place all these next gen 'rumors' come from. I don't see how changing to SD/Cartridges would make any finical sense when they cost more to produce than disks. Everyday there's a suspected leak about the next generation yet they all contradict themselves.

I've also heard the 'nextbox' has started to be shown off to certain developers under the tightest terms of agreement they've ever known.
    Last edited by kyro; 10th March '12 at 10:50 AM.

vCash

Sounds to me like a console version of the Vita. Not sure how good that would be.

As I've always said, digital distribution is bad if there's a monopoly. If you sell the download codes in every shop and don't have fixed prices, it works. If it's £45 for every game everywhere, then you're fucked. Some will stay, many will go. Or stay, but buy far fewer games.

Quote Originally Posted by kyro View Post
    I've also heard the 'nextbox' has started to be shown off to certain developers under the tightest terms of agreement they've ever known.
    You probably heard that in the original article you started the thread with

vCash

nextbox 720
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    hi m8y

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pred View Post
    Sounds to me like a console version of the Vita. Not sure how good that would be.

As I've always said, digital distribution is bad if there's a monopoly. If you sell the download codes in every shop and don't have fixed prices, it works. If it's £45 for every game everywhere, then you're fucked. Some will stay, many will go. Or stay, but buy far fewer games.

You probably heard that in the original article you started the thread with
    I didn't even read this thread if I'm honest, I knew what it was about before even entering

I agree with the whole digital thing. It's not right. Everyone blames MS and Sony that the prices of games are so high on the PS store or Market place but its the publishers that charge that much. If the only place we will be able to buy from are them two places when things go digital I can see the industry going downhill, they'd be no competition so it would be us being ripped off in the long run. The way digital games cost more than their retail equivalent is a piss take considering your getting less for your money.

Reppin
    cunch
    vCash

SSDs cost bare tho, its a bit more than just a flash drive init?

I prefer to have the physical thing, not the least due to the fact it takes ages to download games, especially HD ones that are a fair few GB.
    The poverty driven seem to have and they're moaning on top of having and I can't help but say that because it's just what I've experienced - Wiley

Quote Originally Posted by Come Correct View Post
    Guys a flop for his country. The last time Argentina did remotely well when the big boys were involved, Diego Forlan was carrying the squad. Do your research.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CatchACat View Post
    SSDs cost bare tho, its a bit more than just a flash drive init?

I prefer to have the physical thing, not the least due to the fact it takes ages to download games, especially HD ones that are a fair few GB.
    You've reminded me of another point that I forgot: if you force everyone to download, then those without fast broadband (or no Internet at all) are unable to use your product. The only way I can think of to get around that is stores like GAME having places to download the games to a memory card in-store.

One possibility is for hard drives (whether it's traditional or a flash-based drive) and installer discs or cards being sold in stores.

I'm just spit-balling now, tbh.

@kyro PC stays winning at this DD game, a large number of places to buy and near-constant sales.

Reppin
    Niggas That Choke Bitches
    vCash

lol

i don't even like gaming that much these days, won't be getting one of these tbh

so people will have to keep yearly updated games like fifa?! lulu

peak for the g's that cop games a year later preowned
    Gnabry >>>>> Januzaj

#Suwoo

I can't let it slide, I see them niggas I go get my nine
    Cause when it's reppin' time, I delete them niggas with a weapon of mine

Reppin
    Edgware
    vCash

As long as there is some sort of physical media involved ie ssd's then I'll be happy. Fuck waiting hours for a 10gb game to download.

mac is offline Green Rep Goons
    Us Man We Make The Neg Trains Boom
    Reppin
    A Dangerous Neighbourhood
    vCash

It's not going to be called the xbox 720, and I do not believe this to be true.
    http://www.badgecollectorscircle.co.uk/assets/bluepeter_48_48.jpg

Reppin
    Up North 2K12
    vCash

Will not happen.
    #

vCash

The pre-owned game market is huge, how will this wor??? This has 2 be bullshit many ppl will leave
    Updated 2/04/2012 My Website: www.leanbodyliving.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
    You can arh fatherrr, you can in'shallahhh, but the ting will still pump inside of yaaa
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    Put one hand on my family, or put one hand on my friends - i swear to god ill risk it all, grab your soul and rip it out of your head

AJNorthEast is offline Post Ina Thread, Post Ina Thread
    Nobody Wants Your Post Ina Thread
    Reppin
    NorthEast
    vCash

Didn read but i doubt it will be called the 720